Publication details for Professor David TollTsaparas, I., Rahardjo, H., Toll, D. G. & Leong, E. C. (2002). Controlling parameters for rainfall-induced landslides. Computers and geotechnics 29(1): 1-27.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0266-352X
- DOI: 10.1016/S0266-352X(01)00019-2
- Keywords: Residual soil slope, Unsaturated soils, Infiltration, Stability.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Slope instability due to rainfall is a common geotechnical problem in tropical and subtropical areas. The numerical analysis of this problem requires the definition of various hydrological characteristics of the soil in addition to the climatic information. This work attempts to identify the influence of some of those parameters on the stability of an unsaturated soil slope during rainfall. The results of the analysis show that the ratio between the saturated coefficient of permeability with respect to water and the rainfall patterns can significantly influence the seepage pattern within an unsaturated soil slope.
1. E.W. Brand , Some thoughts on rain-induced slope failures. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Stockholm 03 (1981), pp. 373–376. Abstract-Compendex | Order Document | Abstract + References in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
2. E.W. Brand , Relationship between rainfall and landslides in Hong Kong. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Landslides in Toronto, Canada 01 (1984), pp. 377–384.
3. Chatterjea K. Observations on the fluvial and slope processes in Singapore and their impact on the urban environment, PhD thesis, National University of Singapore, 1989.
4. Chinniah G, Clemence SP. Thurairajah A. Slope stability in residual soils: an overview. Proceedings of the International Conference on Landslides, Slope Stability and the Safety of Infrastructures, Malaysia, 1994.
5. A.B. Fourie , Predicting rainfall-induced slope instability. Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers, Geotechnical Engineering 119 (1996), pp. 211–218. Abstract-GEOBASE | Abstract-Compendex | Order Document | Abstract + References in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
6. D.G. Fredlund , Appropriate concepts and technology for unsaturated soils. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 16 (1979), pp. 121–139. Abstract-Compendex | Order Document | Abstract + References in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
7. J.M. Gasmo, H. Rahardjo and E.C. Leong , Infiltration effects on stability of a residual soil slope. Computers and Geotechnics 26 02 (2000), pp. 145–165. SummaryPlus | Full Text + Links | PDF (557 K) | Abstract + References in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
8. Geo-Slope International Ltd. Seep/W for finite element seepage analysis, vol. 4. Users Manual. Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 1998.
9. Geo-Slope International Ltd. Slope/W for slope stability analysis, vol. 4. Users Manual. Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 1998.
10. R.E. Green and J.C. Corey , Calculation of hydraulic conductivity: a further evaluation of some predictive methods. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 35 (1971), pp. 3–8.
11. T.T. Lim, H. Rahardjo, M.F. Chang and D.G. Fredlund , Effect of rainfall on matric suctions in a residual soil slope. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 33 (1996), pp. 618–628. Abstract-GEOBASE | Abstract-Compendex | Order Document | Abstract + References in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
12. C.W.W. Ng and Q. Shi , Influence of rainfall intensity and duration on slope stability in unsaturated soils. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology 31 (1998), pp. 105–113. Abstract-Compendex | Order Document | Abstract + References in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
13. J.R. McDougall and I.C. Pyrah , Simulating transient infiltration in unsaturated soils. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 35 (1998), pp. 1093–1100. Abstract-Compendex | Abstract-GEOBASE | Order Document | Full Text via CrossRef | Abstract + References in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
14. Pitts J. An investigation of slope stability on the NTI campus, Singapore. Applied Research project RPI/83, Nanyang Technological Institute, Singapore, 1985.
15. Rahardjo H, Leong EC, Deutcher MS, Gasmo JM, Tang SK. Rainfall-induced slope failures, Geotechnical Engineering Monograph 3, NTU-PWD Geotechnical Research Centre, Nanyang Technological University Singapore, 2000, p. 86, ISBN 981-04-2928-2.
16. H. Rahardjo, E.C. Leong, J.M. Gasmo and S.K. Tang , Assessment of rainfall effects on stability of residual soil slopes. Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on unsaturated soils, Beijing, P.R. China 01 (1998), pp. 280–285.
17. Rahardjo H, Li XW, Toll DG, Leong EC. The effect of antecedent rainfall on slope stability. Submitted to Geotechnical and Geological Engineering.
18. Wei J, Heng YS, Chow WC, Chong MK. Landslide at Bukit Batok Sports Complex. Proceedings of the 9th Asian Regional/ Geotechnical Conference, 1991.
19. Wilson GW, Barbour SL, Fredlund DG. The prediction of evaporative flux from unsaturated soil surfaces. International Proceedings of the First Conference on Unsaturated Soils, UNSAT 95, Paris, France 1995, p. 423–429.