Professor Sana Salous, BEE MSc PhD FIET, FURSI, SMIEEE
(email at email@example.com)
Professor Salous started her academic career as an Assistant Professor at Yarmouk University, Jordan. In 1989 she joined the Department of Electrical Engineering & Electronics at UMIST. In 2003 she joined Durham University where she currently holds the Chair in Communication Engineering and is the Director of the Centre for Communication Systems. Professor Salous radio propagation reseacrh covers HF for sky wave propagation for long range communication and UHF to the millimeter wave band for 5G mobile communications. In this area she introduced the digital frequency sweep technique for high bandwidth channel sounders for radio propagation studies. She is an active member of URSI, various COST actions and a member of the UK delegation to the International Union of Telecommunications.
- International Chair of Commission C on Radiocommunication Systems and Signal Processing of the International Union of Radio Science, (URSI)
- Editor of Radio Science, American Geophysical Union
- Associate Editor of Communications Systems, John Wiley
In April 2013 Professor Salous launched her book on ‘Radio Propagation Measurement and Channel Modelling’ published by Wiley.
The book begins with an explanation of the fundamentals of radio wave propagation and progress through a series of topics, including the measurement of radio channel characteristics, radio channel sounders, measurement strategies, data analysis techniques and radio channel modelling. Application of results for the prediction of achievable digital link performance is discussed with examples pertinent to single carrier, multi-carrier and spread spectrum radio links. This work addresses specifics of communications in various different frequency bands for both long range and short range fixed and mobile radio links.
- Cognitive radio
- Design of radio channel sounders and radar systems
- Propagation studies for 5G
- Radar imaging
- Radio channel characterisation for onbody and small cells at 60 GHz
- Radio channel measurements above-6 GHz bands
- Radio propagation studies for long range communications via slywave
- Through wall radar
- Wireless communications for mobile radio applications
- Salous, Sana; (Accepted), Multi-band multi-antenna chirp channel sounder for frequencies above 6 GHz, 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP). Davos, IEEE Conference publication, 1.
- Salous, Sana, Raimundo, X. & Cheema, A. (2017), Path Loss Model in Typical Outdoor Environments in the 50-73 GHz Band, 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2017). Paris, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 721-724.
- Raimundo, Xavier, Salous, Sana & Cheema, Adnan (2016), Indoor radio propagation measurements in the V-band, Radio Propagation and Technologies for 5G (2016). Durham UK, IET, 5 (5).
- Salous, S. & Gao, Y. (2016), Wideband measurements in indoor and outdoor environments in the 30 GHz and 60 GHz bands, 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP). 1.
- Weng,Jialai, Tu, Xiaoming Lai, Zhihua, Salous, Sana & Zhang, Jie (2015), Modelling the mmWave channel based on intelligent ray launching model, The 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP'2015. Lisbon, IEEE.
- Oghre & Salous (2014), BER performance evaluation of HF MIMO spatial multiplexing systems, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). Beijing China, IEEE, Beijing, 1.
- Raimundo, Xavier, Salous, Sana & Fioranelli, Francesco (2014), Frequency Modulated Interrupted Continuous Wave Signals in Different Radar Imaging Applications, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). Beijing China, IEEE, Beijing, 1.
- Cheema, A. A. & Salous, S. (2014), High resolution temporal occupancy measurements to characterize idle time window in ISM band, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). 1.
- Salous, S, Cheema, A.A. & Raimundo, X (2014), Radio channel propagation measurements using a multiband agile chirp sounder, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). Beijing China, IEEE, Beijing, 1.
- Salous, Sana (2014), Radio propagation studies and spectrum sensing, IET Colloquium on Antennas, Wireless and Electromagnetics 2014. London, IET, 8.
- Salous, S & Thoma, R (2014), State of the art mobile radio channel sounding and data analysis, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). Beijing China, IEEE, Beijing, 1.
- Shi, C. G., Wang, F., Salous, S. & Zhou, J. J. (2019). Adaptive jamming waveform design for distributed multiple-radar architectures based on low probability of intercept. Radio Science 54(1): 72-90.
- Huang, Jie, Cao, Yusheng, Raimundo, Xavier, Cheema, Adnan & Salous, Sana (2019). Rain Statistics Investigation and Rain Attenuation Modeling for Millimeter Wave Short-range Fixed Links. IEEE Access 7: 156110-156120.
- Cheema, Adnan Ahmad & Salous, Sana (2019). Spectrum Occupancy Measurements and Analysis in 2.4 GHz WLAN. Electronics 8(9): 1011.
- Shi, Chenguang, Qiu, Wei, Wang, Fei, Salous, Sana & Zhou, Jianjiang (2019). Stackelberg Game-Theoretic Low Probability of Intercept Performance Optimization for Multistatic Radar System. Electronics 8(4): 397.
- Sun, Mengwei, Wang, Xiang, Zhao, Chenglin, Li, Bin, Liang, Ying-Chang, Goussetis, George & Salous, Sana (2018). Adaptive Sensing Schedule for Dynamic Spectrum Sharing in Time-varying Channel. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 67(6): 5520-5524.
- Shi, C. G., Wang, F., Salous, S. & Zhou, J. J. (2018). Cramér-Rao Lower Bounds for Joint Target Parameter Estimation in FM-Based Distributed Passive Radar Network with Antenna Arrays. Radio Science 53(3): 314-333.
- Raimundo, Xavier, Salous, Sana & Cheema, Adnan (2018). Indoor Dual Polarised Radio Channel Characterization in the 54 GHz and 70 GHz bands. IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation 12(8): 1287-1292.
- Shi, C. G., Wang, F., Salous, S. & Zhou, J. J. (2018). Joint transmitter selection and resource management strategy based on low probability of intercept optimization for distributed radar networks. Radio Science 53(9): 1108-1134.
- Shi, Chenguang, Wang, Fei, Salous, Sana & Zhou, Jianjiang (2018). Low Probability of Intercept-Based Optimal OFDM Waveform Design Strategy for an Integrated Radar and Communications System. IEEE Access 6: 57689-57699.
- Shi, Chenguang, Wang, Fei, Salous, Sana & Zhou, Jianjiang (2018). Low Probability of Intercept-Based Radar Waveform Design for Spectral Coexistence of Distributed Multiple-Radar and Wireless Communication Systems in Clutter. Entropy 20(3): 197.
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana & Liu, Liu (2018). Measurements and Analysis of Angular Characteristics and Spatial Correlation for High-Speed Railway Channels. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 19(2): 357-367.
- Shi, Chenguang, Wang, Fei, Salous, Sana, Zhou, Jianjiang & Hu, Zhentao (2018). Nash Bargaining Game-Theoretic Framework for Power Control in Distributed Multiple-Radar Architecture Underlying Wireless Communication System. Entropy 20(4): 267.
- Shi, Chenguang, Wang, Fei, Sellathurai, Mathini, Zhou, Jianjiang & Salous, Sana (2018). Power Minimization Based Robust OFDM Radar Waveform Design for Radar and Communication Systems in Coexistence. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 66(5): 1316-1330.
- Allen, Ben, Mahato, Shyam, Gao, Yuteng & Salous, Sana (2017). Indoor-to-outdoor empirical path loss modelling for femtocell networks at 0.9, 2, 2.5 and 3.5 GHz using singular value decomposition. IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation 11(9): 1203-1211.
- Shi, C. G., Salous, S., Wang, F. & Zhou, J. J. (2017). Modified Cramér-Rao lower bounds for joint position and velocity estimation of a Rician target in OFDM-based passive radar networks. Radio Science 52(1): 15-33.
- Shi, Chenguang, Wang, Fei, Salous, Sana & Zhou, Jianjiang (2017). Optimal Power Allocation Strategy in a Joint Bistatic Radar and Communication System Based on Low Probability of Intercept. Sensors 17(12): 2731.
- Shi, Chenguang, Wang, Fei, Salous, Sana & Zhou, Jianjiang (2017). Performance Analysis for Joint Target Parameter Estimation in UMTS-Based Passive Multistatic Radar with Antenna Arrays Using Modified Cramér-Rao Lower Bounds. Sensors 17(10): 2379.
- Shi, C.G., Salous, S., Wang, F. & Zhou, J. (2017). Power Allocation for Target Detection in Radar Networks Based on Low Probability of Intercept: A Cooperative Game Theoretical Strategy. Radio Science 52(8): 1030-1045.
- Zhou, T., Tao, C., Salous, S. & Liu, L. (2017). Spatial characterization for high speed railway channels based on moving virtual array measurement scheme. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters 16: 1423-1426.
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana, Liu, Liu & Tan, Zhenhui (2016). A LTE-Based Channel Measurement Method for High-Speed Railway Communications. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 65(1): 25-36.
- Shi, Chenguang, Salous, Sana, Wang, Fei & Zhou, Jianjiang (2016). Cramer-Rao Lower Bound Evaluation for Linear Frequency Modulation Based Active Radar Networks Operating in a Rice Fading Environment. Sensors 16(12): 2072.
- Cheema, A. & Salous, S. (2016). Digital FMCW for ultrawideband spectrum sensing. Radio Science 51(8): 1413-1420.
- Shi, Chenguang, Salous, Sana, Wang, Fei & Zhou, Jianjiang (2016). Low probability of intercept-based adaptive radar waveform optimization in signal-dependent clutter for joint radar and cellular communication systems. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2016(1): 111.
- Salous, S., Degli Esposti, V., Fuschini, F., Dupleich, D., Müller, R., Thomä, R. S., Haneda, K., Molina-Garcia-Pardo, J.M., Pascual-Garcia, J., Gaillot, D. P., Nekovee, M. & Hur, S. (2016). Millimeter-Wave Propagation: Characterization and modeling toward fifth-generation systems. [Wireless Corner]. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine 58(6): 115-127.
- Lin, Bao Lin Sun, Xiaoyan & Salous, Sana (2016). Solving Travelling Salesman Problem with an Improved Hybrid Genetic Algorithm. Journal of Computer and Communications 4(15): 98-106.
- Salous, Sana, Feeney, Stuart, Raimundo, Xavier & Cheema, Adnan (2016). Wideband MIMO channel sounder for radio measurements in the 60 GHz band. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 15(4): 2825-2832.
- Zhang, Z., Zhu, J. & Salous, S. (2015). A Novel Dwelling Time Design Method For Low Probability Of Intercept In A Complex Radar Network. International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics 10(4): 310-319.
- Zhang, Zhenkai, Salous, Sana, Li, Hailin & Tian, Yubo (2015). An Opportunistic Array Beamforming Technique Based on Binary Multiobjective Wind Driven Optimization Method. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation 2015 : 495879.
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana, Liu, Liu & Tan, Zhenhui (2015). Channel characterization in high-speed railway station environments at 1.89 GHz. Radio Science 50(11): 1176-1186.
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana, Liu, Liu & Tan, Zhenhui (2015). Channel Sounding for High-Speed Railway Communication Systems. IEEE Communications Magazine 53(10): 70-77.
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana, Tan, Zhenhui, Liu, Liu & Tian, Li (2015). Graph-based stochastic model for high-speed railway cutting scenarios. IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation 9(15): 1691-1697.
- Zhang, Zhenkai, Salous, Sana, Li, Hailin & Tian, Yubo (2015). Optimal coordination method of opportunistic array radars for multi-target-tracking-based radio frequency stealth in clutter. Radio Science 50(11): 1187-1196
- Fioranelli, F., Salous, S., Ndip, I. & Raimundo, X. (2015). Through-The-Wall Detection With Gated FMCW Signals Using Optimized Patch-Like and Vivaldi Antennas. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 63(3): 1106-1117.
- Fioranelli, F., Salous, S. & Raimundo, X. (2014). Frequency-Modulated Interrupted Continuous Wave as Wall Removal Technique in Through-the-Wall Imaging. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 52(10): 6272-6283.
- Weng, Jialai, Tu, Xiaoming, Lai, Zhihua, Salous, Sana & Zhang, Jie (2014). Indoor Massive MIMO Channel Modelling Using Ray-Launching Simulation. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation 2014: 279380.
- Zhe Wang & Sana Salous (2011). Spectrum Occupancy Statistics and Time Series Models for Cognitive Radio. Journal of Signal Processing Systems 62(2): 145-155.
- Abdallah M. Feeney, S.M., Salous, S. & Lewenz, R. (2010). Design and calibration of circular uniform beam array for wideband channel characterisation. IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation 4(1): 43-53.
- Gunashekar, S.D., Warrington, E.M., Feeney, S.M., Salous, S. & Abbasi, N.M. (2010). MIMO communications within the HF band using compact antenna arrays. Radio Science 45(6): RS6013.
- Salous S.,, Feeney S.,, Khokhar K., & Lewenz R. (2008). Measurements of radio channels and bit error rate estimation of IEEE802.16 standard in semi-rural environment at three frequencies in the 2–6 GHz frequency band. IET Communications 2(7): 878-885.