Dr Lian Gan
(email at email@example.com)
Lian obtained his BEng (UK MEng equivalent) degree from Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, specialised in aeronautics. This degree is supported by full-scholarship from Singapore government. He then obtained his PhD degree from University of Cambridge, Engineering Department fluid mechanics group on experimental investigation of pulsatile turbulent flows. After taking a postdoc in the same research group and subsequently a lecturership in Newcastle University UK, he joined Durham University in March 2015.
Lian is taking PhD students. The annual university studentship application usually opens in late October and closes in early January.
- Experimental fluid mechanics: inhomogeneous turbulence, pulsatile turbulence, flow-structure interaction
- Flow measurement technique development and applications
- Hollands, EO., He, C. & Gan, L. (2020). A Particle Image Velocimetry study of dual-rotor counter-rotating wind turbine near wake. Journal of Vizualisation
- He, Chuangxin, Gan, Lian & Liu, Yingzheng (2020). The formation and evolution of turbulent swirling vortex rings generated by axial swirlers. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion
- Wang, Qingyang, Gan, Lian, Xu, Shengjin & Zhou, Yu (2020). Vortex evolution in the near wake behind polygonal cylinders. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 110: 109940.
- He, Chuangxin, Liu, Yingzheng, Gan, Lian & Lesshafft, Lutz (2019). Data assimilation and resolvent analysis of turbulent flow behind a wall-proximity rib. Physics of Fluids 31(2): 025118.
- Wang, Jian, Zhang, Jingxin, Liang, Dongfang & Gan, Lian (2019). Non-hydrostatic modelling of shallow water flow around a circular array of emergent cylinders. Journal of Hydroinformatics
- Wang, Q, Xu, S, Gan, L, Zhang, W & Zhou, Y (2019). Scaling of the time-mean characteristics in the polygonal cylinder near-wake. Experiments in Fluids 60: 181.
- Gan, L. & Maffioli, A. (2019). The size and lifetime of organised eddies in a non-solid-body rotating turbulence experiment. European Journal of Mechanics - B/Fluids 74: 41-49.
- Zhanwei Hu, Jinsheng Liu, Lian Gan & Shengjin Xu (2019). Wake modes behind a streamwisely-oscillating cylinder at constant and ramping frequencies. Journal of Visualization 22(3): 505–527.
- He, Chuangxin, Liu, Yingzheng & Gan, Lian (2018). A data assimilation model for turbulent flows using continuous adjoint formulation. Physics of Fluids 30(10): 105108.
- Xu, S. J., Zhang, W. G., Gan, L., Li, M. G. & Zhou, Y. (2017). Experimental study of flow around polygonal cylinders. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 812: 251-278.
- Gan, L., Baqui, B.Y. & Maffioli, A. (2016). An experimental investigation of forced steady rotating turbulence. European Journal of Mechanics / B Fluids 58: 59-69.
- Gan, L. (2016). Detection of passive scalar interface directly from PIV particle images in inhomogeneous turbulent flows. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 97(1): 141-170.
- Gan, L. & Krogstad, P.-Å. (2016). Evolution of turbulence and in-plane vortices in the near field flow behind multi-scale planar grids. Physics of Fluids 28(8): 085101.
- Xu, S. J., Gan, L. & Zhou, Y. (2016). Flow interaction between a streamwise oscillating cylinder and a downstream stationary cylinder. Experiments in Fluids 57(11): 173.
- Cardesa JI, Mistry D, Gan L & Dawson JR (2013). Invariants of the reduced velocity gradient tensor in turbulent flows. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 716: 597.
- Gan L, Dawson JR & Nickels TB (2012). On the drag of turbulent vortex rings. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 709: 85.
- Gan L, Dawson JR & Nickels TB (2011). An experimental study of a turbulent vortex ring: a three-dimensional representation. Experiments in Fluids 51(6): 1493.
- GAN L & Nickels TB (2010). An experimental study of turbulent vortex rings during their early development. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 649: 467.