Prof Mike Byram
Michael Byram is Professor Emeritus since October 2008.
His work in the School comprised initial teacher education and being Director of Research Degrees with supervision of research students. He began his career teaching French and German at secondary school level and in adult education in an English comprehensive community school. After being appointed to a post in teacher education at the University of Durham in 1980, he carried out research into the education of linguistic minorities, foreign language education and student residence abroad.
He supervised doctoral students in intercultural studies, language teaching and comparative education.
He has published many books and articles including, most recently, Teaching and Assessing Intercultural Communicative Competence; Language Teachers, Politics and Cultures (with Karen Risager); From Foreign Language Education to Education for Intercultural Citizenship; and is the editor of the Routledge Encyclopedia of Language Teaching and Learning.
NEW BOOK: The Common European Framework of Reference. The globalisation of language education policy.
Completed Supervisions (since 2008)
Indicators of Esteem
- 2008: External Examiner: PhD external examiner, Dublin City University, 24 July 2008
- 2008: Lecutres and workshops: Lectures and workshop on 'Multiple linguistic and cultural identities in the classroom', Universidad internacional de Andalucia, Huelva, 22 July 2008
- 2008: Plenary lecture: 'Self-assessment/evaluation of intercultural competence - and the Autobiography of Intercultural Encounters', University of West of England and Bristol City Council conference on 'Intercultural Dialogue: the Way Forward'. Bristol 12 April 2008
- 2008: Plenary lecture: Estonia: Plenary lecture: ‘Teaching “national cultures” in foreign language education’, Narva College, University of Tartu, conference on ‘Issues of multilingualismn and multiculturalism in modern education systems’, Narva, Estonia, 18-19 April 2008
- 2008: Plenary lectures: 1. 'Intercultural competence - teaching and assessing/evaluating' and workshop on 'Social interaction - with and without a foreign language' at Far Eastern National University, Vladivostok, Russia - conference on 'Building bridges with languages and cultures', 26-28 June 2. 'Intercultural citizenship - an education perspective' at University of Surrey CRONEM conference 'Nationalism, Ethnicity and Citizenship: Whose Citizens? Whose Rights?', 30 June-1 July
- 2008: Seminar co-organiser & contributor: Co-organiser and contributor (with Adelheid Hu) of a seminar on 'Intercultural Competence and Foreign Languages: Models, empiricism and assessment' - University of Hamburg, 29-31 May 2008
- 2007: Plenary lecture: 'Foreign language and citizenship education: CLIL in foreign language classroom' at conference on New Challenges in Foreign Language Education: content and language integrated learning and intercultural language teacing at University of Lleida, Spain, 18-29 October
- 2006: Rapporteur of Council of Europe: Study on Language Policy in Lombardy, Italy: * presentation of results 'Roundtable'; * presentation of results In-service course for teachers 'Plurilingual education in school and university'.
- Adviser to Council of Europe Language Policy Division: CoE is the major influence on language teaching and language education policy and this position is influential in setting the agenda for the work of the CoE in this area. The position includes leading teams to carry out ‘Language Policy Profiles’ in member states (e.g. Hungary, Norway, Poland)
- Assessment at Jaen University, Spain: Assessment of students on PhD modules on Intercultural Studies:
- British Council: Member of British Council (North Europe Region) Think tank on Plurilingualism in Europe - meeting 25 January in Berlin.
- British Council: Invitation to British Council Think Tank and Conference on Multilingualism in Europe, 31 Jan - 2 Feb
- Editorships etc: I am co-editor of a book series on ‘Language for intercultural communication and education’ for Multilingual Matters which has produced 10 or so books in the RAE period.
- External evaluator: External evaluator for applicatio for Readership, Institute of Education, London
- Guest/Visiting professorships and lectures etc: I am a Guest Professor at Beihang University Beijing (Honorary position for the period 2003-8); was Visiting Professor at Tokyo Gakugei University Japan for six months 2004-05; have given numerous guest lectures and plenary lectures at international conferences and in foreign universities.
- Keynote lecture: 'Foreign language education and education for intercultural citizenship' at International Forum on English Language Teaching II, University of Porto, Portugal, 11 Nov. 05
- Leader: Leader of group on Languages across the Curriculum in Primary Education, Counicl of Europe 'Languages of Education', meeting in Oslo 31 January - 2 Feb.
- Lecture Tour - Argentina: Lecture tour for British Council Argentina 18-24 September, including opening plenary ‘Intercultural competence for the intercultural speaker – a task for foreign language education’, and seminars FAAPI Conference, Jujuy, 20-22 September 2007
- Lectures and workshop: Moscow 2005: Guest lecture on 'Concepts for describing Language People' at Moscow State Linguistic University, 28 Sept 05 Lecture and workshop on 'Autiobiography of Key Intercultural Experiences' at Seminar on the European Language Portfolio, Moscow, 30 Sept. 05
- Lectures in New Zealand: Guest lecture Auckland University of Technology, 'Language Education and Education for Intercultural Citizenship'- 30 June 2006 Plenary lecture "Standing on the bridge - the 'intercultural speaker' and the purposes of language teaching"; Seminar 'Language teaching for intercultural citizenship' New Zealand Association of Lanugage Teachers, 2 - 5 July 2006
- Member of organising committee: Member of organising committee 'Forum on the common European Framework', Council of Europe - Forum in Strasbourg 6-8 Feb.
- Papers: Two papers given by invitation at the Conference 'Sprachen schaffen Chancen' of the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Fremdsprachenforschung, Munich 3-6 Oct. 05 'Researching residence and study abroad'; 'Foreign language education in other countries - Britain'
- PhD external examining: I have done numerous examinations in the RAE period including in France, Australia, Denmark, Finland
- Plenary lecture: Plenary lecture on 'Intercultural dialogue and encounters' at 2008 Languages in Higher Education Conference, University of York 8-9 July
- Plenary Lecture, Portugal: Intercultural competence - teaching and assessing/evaluating Plenary lecture University of Minho, Portugal, conference on «Implications didactiques de l’interculturalité pour le processusd’enseignement/ apprentissage des langues-cultures étrangères »
- Plenary lectures: 'English is not enough' and 'Not enough English': a comparative analysis of purposes, aims and objectives in English Language Teaching', Annual Conference of the Japan Association of College English Teachers, Tokyo, Japan. 10 Sept 05 'Plurilingualism and 'intercultural citizenship'/Demokratialernen'. Kansai University seminar on 'The significance of 'Plurilingualism' in a global society and the European Language Portfolio: prospects for Japan', Osaka Japan. 11 Sept. 05 'Exploring language, identities and education in a European perspective. Croatian Applied Linguistics Society annual conference 'Language and Identities', Split, Croatia, 25-26 May 2006
- Rapporteur: Language Education Policy Profile: Lombardy. Published by Ministry of Education, Italy and Council of Europe (October 06)
- Referee: Referee for Royal Society of New Zealand - Marsden Fund
- Referee for applications: Referee for applications for promotion at Chinese University of Hong Kong, Lingnan University Hong Kong and Dublin City University, Ireland
- Special lecture and seminar: Lecture: 'Language Learniners as Ethnographers and Teachers as Educators', November 04, Univesity of Hokkaido, Sappora, Japan Seminar: 'The Council of Europe and Language Education Policy', Nov. 04, Univesity of Hokkaido, Sappora, Japan
- Bilingual education
- Comparative education
- Foreign language teaching
Journal papers: academic
- Byram, M. (2013). Foreign language teaching and intercultural citizenship. Iranian Journal of Language Teaching Research 1(3): 53-62.
- Byram, M., Holmes, P. & Savvides, N. (2013). Intercultural communicative competence in foreign language education: Questions of theory, practice and research. Language Learning Journal 41(3): 251-253.
- Byram, M. (2013). Language teaching and its contexts. Iranian Journal of Language Teaching Research 1(1): 1-26.
- Byram, M. (2013). Teaching communicative and intercultural competence. Lend. Lingua e nuova didattica XLII 2: 34-43.
- Byram, M., Perugini, D.C. & Wagner, M. (2013). The Development of Intercultural Citizenship in the Elementary School Spanish Classroom. Learning Languages Contents 18(1): 16-31.
- Byram, M.S. (2012). Language awareness and (critical) cultural awareness - relationships, comparisons and contrasts. Language Awareness 21(1-2): 5-13.
- Byram, M. & Wang, L. (2011). But when you are doing your exams it is the same as in China - Chinese students adjusting to western approaches to teaching and learning. Cambridge Journal of Education 41(4): 407-424.
- Yamada, E. & Byram, M. (2011). Criticality and the purposes of teaching foreign languages in Higher Education. Intercultural Communication Research 2: 171-188.
- Byram, M. (2011). From foreign language education to education for intercultural citizenship. Intercultural Communication Review 9: 17-36.
- Byram, M. (2011). Intercultural citizenship from an internationalist perspective. Journal of the NUS Teaching Academy 1(1): 10-20.
- Byram, M. (2011). Intercultural citizenship: foreign language teaching as an extension of national education. In Chinese, translated by Han Hui Hellen. Academic Research 11: 128-135.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). Teaching French and intercultural (communicative) competence. Francophonie 44(Autumn): 14-19.
- Byram, M. (2011). The Common (European) CEFR of Reference - teaching foreign languages, mediation and intercultural competence. Annual Review of English Learning and Teaching 16.
- Byram, M. (2010). Identitast formalunk, vagy kompetenciakat fejlesztunk a tobbkulturaju allampolgarok kineveleseben? Iskolakultura 4: 43-58.
- Byram, M. (2010). Linguistic and Cultural Education for Bildung and Citizenship. The Modern Language Journal 94(2): 317-321.
- Hussein, A., Beverton, S. & Byram, M. (2010). Targets for the Reading Literacy Curriculum in the Egyptian Secondary School. The Journal of Reading, Writing and Literacy 4(3).
- Byram, M. (2008). Plurilingvalnost u Evropi i njene implikacije. Revija za obrazovanja i kultura 8-9.
- Byram, M. & Feng, A. (2004). Culture and language learning: teaching research and scholarship. Language Teaching 37(3): 149-168.
- Lai, P.S. & Byram, M.S. (2012). Re-Shaping Education for Citizenship: Democratic National Citizenship in Hong Kong. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Byram, M.S. (2008). From Foreign Language Education to Education for Intercultural Citizenship. Essays and Reflection. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Byram, M.S. & Hu, A. (2012). Routledge Encyclopedia of Language Teaching and Learning. Routledge: London.
- Byram, M.S. & Parmenter, L. (2012). The Common European Framework of Reference: The Globalisation of Language Education Policy. Multilingual Matters.
- Feng, A., Byram, M. & Fleming, M. (2009). Becoming Interculturally Competent through Education and Training. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Byram, M.S. & Dervin, F. (2008). Echanges et Mobilités Académiques. Quel bilan?.
- Byram, M. (2013). Citizenship Education. In Wiley Online encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Chapelle, C. Wiley Online Library.
- Byram, M. (2013). Cultural awareness in multilingual education. In Wiley Online Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Chapelle, C.
- Byram, M. (2013). De la formation en langues étrangères à l'éducation à la citoyenneté interculturelle. In Éthique et politique en didactigue des langues. Beacco, J-C. Paris: Didier. 1-26.
- Byram, M. (2013). Identifications through languages. In Intersecting Identities and Interculturality: Discourse and Practice. Machart, R., Lim, C.B., Lim, S.N. & Yamato, E. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 45-56.
- Byram, M. & Masuhara, H. (2013). Intercultural competence. In Applied linguistics and materials development. Tomlinson, B. London: Bloomsbury. 143-160.
- Byram, M. (2013). Intercultural Competence. In Wiley Online Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Chapelle, C.
- Byram, M. (2013). Sprachenpolitik zwischen Theorie und Praxis. In Mehrsprachigkeit grenzuberschreitend. Modelle, Konzepte, Erfahrungen. Gombos, G. Klagenfurt: Drava Verlag. 35-45.
- Byram, M.S. (2012). Characteristics and competences of the plurilingual and intercultural citizen. In Mehrsprachigkeit. Bildung - Kommunikation - Standards. Facke, C., Martinez, H. & Meissner, F-J. Stuttgart: Ernst Klett Verlag. 15-25.
- Byram, M. (2012). Reflecting on teaching 'culture' in foreign language education. In Insights into the European Portfolio for Student Teachers of Languages (EPOSTL). Newby, D. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). A research agenda for 'intercultural competence'. In Intercultural competence. Concepts, challenges and evaluations. Witte, A. & Harden, T. Oxford: Peter Lang. 19-36.
- Byram, M. (2011). Conceptualizing intercultural (communicative) competence and intercultural citizenship. In The Routledge Handbook of Language and Intercultural Communication. Jackson, J. Routledge: London. 85-97.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). Intercultural citizenship - an education perspective. In Nationalism, Ethnicity, Citizenship. Barrett, M., Flood, C. & Eade, J. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 163-180.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). La competence interculturelle. In guide pur la recherche en didactique des langues et des cultures. Blanchet, P. & Chardent, P. Paris: Editions des archives contemporaines. 253-260.
- Byram, M. (2011). Language teaching (and learning) in a European perspective. In Foreign language teaching - history, theory, methods. Appel, J., Doff, S., Rymarczyk, J. & Thaler, E. Langenscheidt. 11-18.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). Recherche et prise de position. In Guide pur la recherche en didactique des langues et des cultures. Blanchet, P. & chardent, P. Paris: Editions des archives contemporaines. 41-44.
- Byram, M. & Parmenter, L. (2010). An overview of the international influences oon the CEFR. In Statements in language education in Japan and beyond - Applications of the CEFR. Schmidt, M.G., Naganuma, N., O'Dwyer, F., Imig, A. & Sakai, K. Tokyo: Asahi Press.
- Byram, M., Lapkin, S., LoBianco, J., Met, M. & Scott, A. (2010). Fremds[prachen] didaktik in englischsprachigen Landern. In Handbuch Fremdsprachendidaktik. Hallet, W. & Konigs, F.G. Seelze-Velber, Germany: Klett/Kallmeyer.
- Byram, M. (2010). Intercomprehension; intercultural competence and foreign language teaching. In Lernerautonouire durch Interkomprehension. Doye, P. & Meissner, F-J. Tubingen: Narr Verlag.
- Byram, M. & Guilherme, M. (2010). Intercultural education and intercultural communication: tracing the relationship. In Becoming intercultural: inside and outside the classroom. Tsai, Y. & Houghton, S. Newcastle upon Tyne, England: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 2-22.
- Byram, M.S. (2008). Education for intercultural citizenship: language teaching and education for citizenship - in Europe and beyond. In Visions of Language in Education. Visionen der Bildung durch Sprachen. Doff, S., Hullen, W. & Klippel, F. (eds) Berlin: Langenscheidt. 65-75.
- Byram, M.S. (2008). Researching residence and study abroad. In Auslandsaufenthalte in Schule und Studium. Bestanbdsaufnahme aus Forschung und Praxis. Ehrenreich, S., Woodman, G. & Perrefort, M. Munster: Waxman. 19-28.
- Byram, M. (2010), Global communities, cosmopolitan and intercultural citizenship, International Association for Intercultural Studies Conference. Guangzhou, China.
Edited works: journals
- Byram, M., Holmes, P. & Savvides, N. (2013). Intercultural communicative competence in foreign language education: questions of theory, practice and research. The Language Learning Journal Special Issue II, 41 (3): Routledge.
- Byram, M., Holmes, P. & Savvides, N. (2013). Teaching and Learning Intercultural communication in the Second/Foreign Language Classroom. The Language Learning Journal Special Issue I, 41 (3).
Journal papers: online
- Porto, M. (2013). Language and intercultural education: an interview with Michael Byram. Pedagogies. An international journal 8(2).
Available for media contact about:
- Subject specialists: modern languages
- Subject specialists: bilingual education
- Subject specialists: foreign language teaching
- Subject specialists: ethnic minority education
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: France/Germany
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: language teaching
- Foreign Literature & Language: French/German
- Foreign Literature & Language: modern language teaching