Dr Xiaofei Qi, BA, MA, PhD
Dr Xiaofei Qi is a Lecturer at the School of Education, Durham University. Her current work focuses on early childhood education and development, digital parenting support, assessment in education and includes studies of longitudinal and quasi-experimental design.
Xiaofei joined the School of Education in 2019 from the University of Cambridge where she was a Research Associate at the Education Reform and Innovation team within Faculty of Education. Prior to that, she worked at the Cambridge Psychometrics Centre heading up the centre’s project to develop a computerised adaptive entrance test for Eton College. Xiaofei obtained a PhD in Psychology from Birkbeck, University of London in 2015, with a thesis entitled "Does preschool experience matter?" Since then, Dr Qi's work has focussed on exploring the effects of school and home learning environment, particularly during the early years, on children's intellectual, emotional and behaviour development as well as well-being more generally.
- Early childhood education and care (ECEC)
- Child ability assessment: verbal and non-verbal
- Digital Home Learning Environment (HLE)
- Educational assessment
- Entrance test development
- Computational modelling in second language acquisition (SLA)
- Yang, Juan, Qi, Xiaofei, Yan, Weiwei & Kuang, Xiaofang (2018). Attention allocation and transferring pattern mining in Chinese students invoking English. XIXth International CALL Research Conference, Bruges, University of Antwerpen.
- Qi, Xiaofei (2015). Does preschool experience matter? the relevance of preschool education and home activities for children's cognitive and social development at school entry in rural China. PhD.
- Qi, Xiaofei (2019). Exploring early childhood in China: background, development and current issues. Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers 10(2): 13-29.
- Yang, Juan, Thomas, Michael, Qi, Xiaofei & Liu, Xuan (2019). Using an ANN-based computational model to simulate and evaluate Chinese students’ individualized cognitive abilities important in their English acquisition. Computer Assisted Language Learning 32(4): 366-397.
- Qi, Xiaofei & Melhuish, Edward C. (2017). Early childhood education and care in China: history, current trends and challenges. Early Years 37(3): 268-284.
- Robinson-Smith,Lyn, Whiteside, Katie, Torgerson, Carole, Qi, Xiaofei, Fairhurst, Caroline, Elliott, Louise Hewitt, Catherine, Joshi, Kalpita, Menzies, Victoria, Torgerson, David & Ainsworth, Hannah (2020). Independent evaluation of Maths Champions in nursery settings to develop children’s early numeracy: A two-armed cluster randomised controlled trial Evaluation Protocol. Education Endowment Foundation.
- Tracey,Louise, Torgerson,Carole, Welch,Charlie, Fairhurst, Caroline, Gridley, Nicole & Qi, Xiaofei (2019). Efficacy of the ParentChild+ programme: trial evaluation protocol. Education Endowment Foundation.
- Brownhill,S, Qi, X, McLaughlin,C, Warwick, J & Yardeni, A (2018). Kindergartens in China: a scoping study. Working report on the China Peking Early years Project. University of Cambridge.
- Qi,Xiaofei & Stillwell, David (2017). New Eton List Test Psychometric Analyses. Working report on the Eton Project. University of Cambridge.
- 2019: EEF Maths Champions II
- 2018: Cambridge Humanities Research Grants Scheme