Dr Tinghe Jin
Tinghe Jin joined Durham University School of Education as a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow. She was a Chinese language teacher for four years in China after she obtained her first degree in Chinese language and literature. She pursued her MA in International Education at the University of Leicester and completed her Ph.D. as a Centenary Scholar at UCL Institute of Education. Her research specialises in intercultural education, specifically in relation to the teaching and learning of Chinese. She has published several articles and book chapters on Chinese language education and teachers’ professional development, and has co-edited books and a journal special issue which address issues and developments in Chinese educational research.
Information for prospective doctoral research student supervisions
Tinghe would be pleased to hear from potential students with research interests relating to intercultural and international education; intercultural communication; language learning and teaching, particularly the teaching and learning of Chinese; teachers’ professional development; higher education studies; history of education; interdisciplinary research, in relation to education, history, international development and health and wellbeing.
- The Chequered History of British University Engagements with Chinese Language Studies: Intercultural Failure or Success
- Intercultural and International Education
- Intercultural Communication
- Language Learning and Teaching, particularly the Teaching and Learning of Chinese
- Teacher Professional Development
- Higher Education Studies
- History of Education
- Qualitative Research Methods, Mixed Methods
- Interdisciplinary research, in relation to Education, History, International Development and Health and Wellbeing
Chapter in book
- Jin, T. & Dervin, F. (2017). Identifying and contextualising the key issues. In Interculturality in Chinese Language Education. Jin, T. & Dervin, F. London: Palgrave Macmillan. 1-22.
- Jin, T. & Moore, A. (2014). From ‘being’ to ‘becoming’ Issues and suggestions for continuing professional development in a middle school in China. In New Directions for Education in China. Cowan, S., Jin, T., Johnstone Cowan, L. & Pan, Z. London: Institute of Education Press. 129-147.
- Jin, T. & Dervin, F. (2017). Interculturality in Chinese Language Education. Palgrave studies on Chinese education in a global perspective. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Cowan, S., Jin, T., Johnstone Cowan, L. & Pan, Z. (2014). New Directions for Education in China. London: Institute of Education Press.
- Jin, T. (2017). Moving beyond ‘intercultural competence’ Interculturality in the learning of Mandarin in UK universities. Language and Intercultural Communication 17(3): 306-322.
- Jin, T. (2014). Getting to know you: The development of intercultural competence as an essential element in learning Mandarin. London Review of Education 12(1): 20-33.
- 2017: The Chequered History of British University Engagements with Chinese Language Studies: Intercultural Failure or Success (£240668.80 from The British Academy)