A research project of the School of Education.
AHEAD’s overall goal is to foster active ageing. The central idea is that through empowering senior members of society in the use of digital technologies, they can share stories of their travels and experiences. Encouraging digital storytelling amongst senior citizens involves introducing them to ICT for active ageing, and providing them with a new communication opportunity for reaching others, especially younger people.
The project is funded by the following grant.
- Llp-travelling Ahead (£41507.00 from European Commission)
AHEAD has 4 specific objectives:
1. To develop a user-friendly APP for mobile devices targeting seniors, with which they can record and share stories of their travelling experiences.
2. To develop a training package and set of resources and activities aimed at introducing the use of the app which will enable seniors to will gain or improve their ICT skills.
3. To connect the stories produced with the app (Learning Adventures) to a sharing platform; this will be offered as a new approach to tourism planning organisations and for use by other members of the communities.
4. To connects the tools and resources produced by its activities and initiatives across different European countries (Italy, United Kingdom, Slovenia and Finland). It involves senior members of society in educational and entertainment activities whereby they enrich their contribution to society.
In the longer term, AHEAD will help senior members of society acquire an innovative set of skills and competences enabling them to become successful storytellers. Also, the inter-generational gap in the use of ICT will be addresses, and, furthermore, the senior participants will become more socially active. Their quality of life can be enhanced by realizing their potential for physical, social, and mental well-being and by increased participation in society, while providing a new basis for the development of a bottom-up approach to tourism planning: the Lifelong Learning Adventures!