Publication detailsBeach, D. & Bagley, C. (2013). Changing professional discourses in teacher education policy back towards a training paradigm a comparative study. European Journal of Teacher Education 36(4): 379-392.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0261-9768, 1469-5928
- DOI: 10.1080/02619768.2013.815162
- Keywords: Educational policy, Sweden, Teacher education, Curriculum, England.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Modern definitions of professions connect professional knowledge to scientific studies and higher education. In the present article we examine the changing nature of this relationship in initial teacher education in two European countries: Sweden and England. The article is based on policy analyses from recent decades of teacher education reforms. The findings suggest a policy convergence through a shared policy return that has moved teacher education back toward a teacher training paradigm.