Publication details for Dr Ashraf OsmanKlar, A, Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2007). 2D and 3D upper bound solutions for tunnel excavation using 'elastic' flow fields. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 31(12): 1367-1374.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0363-9061, 1096-9853
- DOI: 10.1002/nag.597
- Keywords: plasticity • tunnels • upper bound • stability problem
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This paper presents 2D and 3D upper bound solutions for the problem of tunnel excavation in soft ground. The solution invokes the use of incompressible flow fields derived from the theory of elasticity and the concept of sinks and sources. Comparison is made with previously published results. For some geometries the current calculation results in lower (better) upper bound values; however, the results were generally close to previously published values.