Dr Hongjian Sun, PhD, SMIEEE, FHEA
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr Hongjian Sun received his Ph.D. degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering from the University of Edinburgh (U.K.) in 2011 and then took postdoctoral positions at King’s College London (U.K.) and Princeton University (USA). Since April 2013, he has been a Lecturer, now Assistant Professor, in Smart Grid with the School of Engineering and Computing Sciences at the University of Durham (U.K.).
Dr Sun has been involved in a number of activities with the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE): He is a Senior Member of the IEEE; He is serving (or served) as a technical program committee (TPC) member for many IEEE flagship conferences, e.g., IEEE ICC (2010-now), IEEE Globecom (2011-now) and IEEE VTC (2011-now); He is a peer-reviewer for a number of IEEE prestigious journals and was nominated as an Exemplary Reviewer by IEEE Communications Letters in both 2011 and 2012; He has been with the IEEE 1900.6 Standards Working Groups on the Advanced Radio Systems since 2011.
Dr Sun has been on the Editorial Board of:
- Journal of Communications and Networks
- EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking
- IEEE Communications Magazine (Guest Editor for 2 Feature Topics: Integrated Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Enabling Autonomous Smart Grid, 2016, and Internet of Things and Information Processing in Smart Energy Applications, 2017)
- Energies (Guest Editor for Special Issues: Wireless Power Transfer, 2016, and From Smart Metering to Demand Side Management, 2017)
- International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks (Guest Editor for Special Issue: Industrial Wireless Sensor Networks, 2014 and 2016).
Additionally, he served (is serving) as an organizing chair for the following workshops/symposium:
- 1st Workshop on Integrating Communications, Control, Computing Technologies for Smart Grid (ICT4SG, https://www.dur.ac.uk/ecs/ict4sg/), Glasgow, U.K., in May 2015;
- 2nd Workshop on ICT4SG (oz.nthu.edu.tw/~d9564901/ICT4SG), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 23-27 May 2016.
- 3rd Workshop on ICT4SG (https://www.dur.ac.uk/ecs/smart.grid/ict4sg17/ ), Paris, France, 25 May 2017.
- 1st Workshop on Connecting All Things for Enabling Smart Cities (CONTEST, www.dur.ac.uk/ecs/smart.grid/contest/), 15–18 May 2016, Nanjing, China;
- 2nd Workshop on CONTEST (https://www.dur.ac.uk/ecs/smart.grid/contest2/), 4–7 June 2017, Sydney, Australia;
- Workshop on Communications Technologies for Smart Grid (CTSG, http://chinacom.org/2015/show/workshop-CTSG), Shanghai, China, in August 2015;
- Green and Sustainable Communications and Network Computing (GSCN) symposium in the 12th IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (http://conferences.computer.org/wimob2016/committees.html), New York, USA, 17-19 Oct 2016.
PhD and Postdoc Vacancies
- Funded project: 1 Postdoc post in Smart Data Aggregation is available with application deadline 20/2/2017 in jobs.ac.uk.
- Self-funded projects: research topics are flexible. There are 1~2 openings each year. Please contact him first before your application.
Research and Projects
Dr. Sun's research mainly focuses on: (i) wideband techniques for cognitive radio, (ii) smart grid communications, (iii) demand side management and demand response, and (iv) renewable energy sources integration. He has an established track record of publishing high quality scientific articles: He has published over 70 papers in refereed journals and international conferences; He has made contributions to and coauthored the IEEE 1900.6a-2014 Standard; He has published four book chapters, and edited two books:
- IET book "Smarter Energy: from Smart Metering to the Smart Grid" working with Prof. Nikolaos Hatziargyriou at National Technical University of Athens, Laurence Carpanini at IBM, Miguel Angel Sanchez at Iberdrola Spain and Prof. H. Vincent Poor at Princeton University;
- CRC Book "From Internet of Things to Smart Cities: Enabling Technologies" working with Prof. Chao Wang at Tongji University and Dr Bashar Ahmad at Cambridge University.
Dr. Sun is Principle Investigator (PI) on a number of projects, with funding successes from the EU H2020, UK EPSRC, China NSF, and industry. He has been involved as an investigator in 8 international or national projects with a total budget in excess of £4M (using conversion rate of 15 November 2016: €1 equals £0.86). These projects include:
- H2020 “TESTBED” project (no. 734325, €882k) as Project Coordinator;
- EPSRC “TOPMOST” project (EP/P005950/1, £101k plus £67k funding support from partners Intel ltd. and Sunamp ltd.) as PI;
- H2020 “SmarterEMC2” project (no. 646470, €3.7M) as Work Package Leader and Durham PI;
- UK-Korea “Condor” project (€95.4k from Hyundai Motor ltd. plus Faculty match funding appx. £32k) as PI.
In the past, he was the key researcher for EPSRC project "Robust Intelligent Lamp Post (ILP) Sensor Networks for Energy Efficient Transportation Systems" and Korean ETRI project "Cognitive Radio Technology".
Dr. Sun is currently supervising (or line managing) 1 Postdoc Research Associate, 8 PhD students as primary supervisor, and 3 PhD students as secondary supervisor. He also leads Smart Grid research activities and Smart Grid Laboratory (https://www.dur.ac.uk/ecs/smart.grid/), which consists of Real Time Digital Simulator (RTDS™), a PV emulation system, a wind turbine emulation system, an Electrical Energy Storage, an Electric Vehicle and charging station, an Air Source Heat Pump and smart meters.
- Prof. H. Vincent Poor at Princeton University, USA
- Prof. Nikolaos Hatziargyriou at National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Prof. John S. Thompson and Dr. Dave I. Laurenson at Edinburgh University, UK
- Prof. Fei Richard Yu at Carleton University, Canada
- Prof. A. Nallanathan at King's College London, UK
- Prof. Cheng-Xiang Wang at Heriot-Watt University, UK
- Prof. Wei-Yu Chiu at Yuan Ze University, Taiwan
- Prof. Nan Zhao at Dalian University of Technology, China
- Dr. Bashar Ahmad at Cambridge University, UK
- Prof. Chao Wang at Tongji University, China
Indicators of Esteem
- 2016: Written evidence to Energy and Climate Change Committee: Energy and Climate Change Committee's Low carbon network infrastructure inquiry
- 2015: Carbon Trust Expert Interview: Dr. Sun had Expert Interview by Carbon Trust in March 2015 in the field of demand response technologies.
- 2015: Lead Microgrid Researcher: Dr. Sun has been invited to attend the Microgrid Symposiums 2015 (by invitation only) as a lead microgrid researcher.
- 2013: Fringe Event at the Liberal Democrat Party : Dr. Sun discussed Smart Grid technologies with Parliamentary Private Secretary to Ed Davey, Stephen Gilbert MP, and Jim Sutherland, Engineering Director at ScottishPower Energy Networks, at the fringe event at the Liberal Democrat Party Conference in Glasgow in September 2013.
- Smart Grids
- Demand Side Management
- Renewable Energy Source
- Wireless Communications
- Powerline Commmunications
- Sensor Networks
- Signal Processing
- You, Minglei, Sun, Hongjian, Jiang, Jing & Zhang, Jiayi (2017). Unified Framework for the Effective Rate Analysis of Wireless Communication Systems over MISO Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications
- Jiang, Jing, Sun, Hongjian, Baglee, David & Poor, H. Vincent (2016). Achieving Autonomous Compressive Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radios. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 65(3): 1281-1291.
- Zhao, Nan, Yu, F. Richard, Sun, Hongjian & Li, Ming (2016). Adaptive Power Allocation Schemes for Spectrum Sharing in Interference Alignment (IA)-Based Cognitive Radio Networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 65(5): 3700-3714.
- Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, Arumugam Cui, Shuguang & Wang, Cheng-Xiang (2016). Cooperative Wideband Spectrum Sensing over Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 65(3): 1382-1394.
- Yang, Zhutian, Ping, Shuyu, Sun, Hongjian & Aghvami, A. Hamid (2016). CRB-RPL: A Receiver-based Routing Protocol for Communications in Cognitive Radio Enabled Smart Grid. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology PP(99): 1-10.
- You, Minglei, Sun, Hongjian, Jiang, Jing & Zhang, Jiayi (2016). Effective Rate Analysis in Weibull Fading Channels. IEEE Wireless Communications Letters 5(4): 340-343.
- Yang, Zhutian, Qiu, Wei, Sun, Hongjian & Nallanathan, Arumugam (2016). Robust Radar Emitter Recognition Based on the Three-Dimensional Distribution Feature and Transfer Learning. Sensors 16(3): 289.
- Chiu, Wei-Yu, Sun, Hongjian & Poor, H. Vincent (2015). A Multiobjective Approach to Multimicrogrid System Design. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 6(5): 2263-2272.
- Zhao, Nan, Yu, Richard & Sun, Hongjian (2015). Adaptive Energy-Efficient Power Allocation in Green Interference Alignment Based Wireless Networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 64(9): 4268-4281.
- Zhao, Nan, Yu, F. Richard, Sun, Hongjian, Yin, Hongxi, Nallanathan, A. & Wang, Guan (2015). Interference alignment with delayed channel state information and dynamic AR-model channel prediction in wireless networks. Wireless Networks 21(4): 1227-1242.
- Zhao, Nan, Yu, F. Richard, Sun, Hongjian, Arumugam, Nallanathan & Yin, Hongxi (2013). A Novel Interference Alignment Scheme Based on Sequential Antenna Switching in Wireless Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communicaitons 12(10): 5008-5021.
- Chiu, W.-Y., Sun, Hongjian & Poor, H. V. (2013). Energy Imbalance Management Using a Robust Pricing Scheme. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 4(2): 896-904.
- Zhao, N., Yu, Fei R., Sun, Hongjian & Arumugam, Nallanathan (2013). Energy-efficient cooperative spectrum sensing schemes for cognitive radio networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking 2013: 120.
- Yang, Z., Wu, Z., Yin, Z., Quan, T. & Sun, Hongjian (2013). Hybrid Radar Emitter Recognition Based on Rough k-means Classifier and Relevance Vector Machine. Sensors 13(1): 848-864.
- Jiang, J., Thompson, J. S., Sun, Hongjian & Grant, P. M. (2013). Practical Analysis of Codebook Design and Frequency Offset Estimation for Virtual-MIMO Systems. IET Communications 7(6): 585-594.
- Sun Hongjian, Nallanathan, A., Wang, C.-X. & Chen, Y.-F. (2013). Wideband Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radio Networks: A Survey. IEEE Wireless Communications 20(2): 74-81.
- Yin, Z., Zong, Z., Sun, Hongjian, Wu, Z. & Yang, Z. (2012). A complexity-performance-balanced multiuser detector based on artificial fish swarm algorithm for DS-UWB systems in the AWGN and multipath environments. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2012: 229.
- Yin, Z., Kuang, Y., Sun, Hongjian, Wu, Z. & Tang, W. (2012). A Hybrid Multiuser Detection Algorithm for Outer Space DS-UWB Ad-hoc Network with Strong Narrowband Interference. KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems 6(5): 1316-1332.
- Sun, Hongjian, Chiu, W.-Y. & Nallanathan, A. (2012). Adaptive Compressive Spectrum Sensing for Wideband Cognitive Radios. IEEE Communications Letters 16(11): 1812-1815.
- Wu, Z., Yang, Z., Sun, Hongjian, Yin, Z. & Nallanathan, A. (2012). Hybrid Radar Emitter Recognition Based on Rough K-Means Classifier and SVM. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2012: 198.
- Jiang, J., Thompson, John S., Sun, Hongjian & Grant, P. M. (2012). Performance Assessment of Virtual Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Systems with Compress-and-Forward Cooperation. IET Communications 6(11): 1456-1465.
- Sun, Hongjian, Tan, B., Jiang, J., Thompson, J. S., Nallanathan, A. & Poor, H. V. (2012). Relaying Technologies for Smart Grid Communications. IEEE Wireless Communications 19(6): 52-59.
- Sun, Hongjian, Chiu, W.-Y., Jiang, J. Nallanathan, A. & Poor, H. V. (2012). Wideband Spectrum Sensing with Sub-Nyquist Sampling in Cognitive Radios. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 60(11): 6068-6073.
- Jiang J., Thompson, John S. & Sun, Hongjian (2011). A Singular-Value-Based Adaptive Modulation and Cooperation Scheme for Virtual-MIMO Systems. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 60(6): 2495-2504.
- Zhao, Nan & Sun, Hongjian (2011). Robust Power Control for Cognitive Radio in Spectrum Underlay Networks. KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems 5(7): 1214-1229.
- Sun, Hongjian, Laurenson, Dave I. & Wang, Cheng-Xiang (2010). Computationally Tractable Model of Energy Detection Performance over Slow Fading Channels. IEEE Communications Letters 14(10): 924-926.
Chapter in book
- Li, Dan, Chiu, Wei-Yu & Sun, Hongjian (2016). Demand Side Management in Microgrid Control Systems. In Microgrid: Advanced Control Methods and Renewable Energy System Integration. Mahmoud, Magdi S. Elsevier.
- Jiang, Jing & Sun, Hongjian (2016). Relaying Technologies for Smart Grid. In Relay Technologies in Future Cooperative Communication Systems. Krikidis, Ioannis & Zheng, Gan IET Press.
- Lamprinos, Ilias, Hatziargyriou, Nikos & Sun, Hongjian (2016). Smart energy – smart grid research and projects overview. In Smarter Energy: from Smart Metering to the Smart Grid. Sun, Hongjian, Hatziargyriou, Nikos, Poor, H. Vincent, Carpanini, Laurence & Fornié, Miguel Angel Sánchez IET. 1-520.
- Ahmad, Bashar I., Sun, Hongjian, Ling, Cong & Nallanathan, A. (2014). Paving A Wider Way for Multimedia Over Cognitive Radios: An Overview of Wideband Spectrum Sensing Algorithms. In Multimedia Over Cognitive Radio Networks: Algorithms, Protocols, and Experiments. Hu, Fei & Kumar, Sunil Taylor & Francis LLC, CRC Press.
- Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, A. & Jiang, J. (2013). Sub-Nyquist Sampling and Compressed Sensing in Cognitive Radio Networks. In Compressed Sensing & Sparse Filtering. Carmi, A. Y., Mihaylova, L. S. & Godsill, S. J. Springer. 149-185.
- Sun, Hongjian, Wang, Chao & Ahmad, Bashar (2016). From Internet of Things to Smart Cities: Enabling Technologies. Chapman & Hall/CRC Computer and Information Science Series. Chapman and Hall/CRC.
- Sun, Hongjian Sun, Hatziargyriou, Nikolaos Carpanini, Laurence, Sánchez, Miguel & Poor, H. Vincent (2016). Smarter Energy: from Smart Metering to The Smart Grid. IET.
- Mou, Xiaolin, Groling, Oliver, Gallant, Andrew & Sun, Hongjian (2016), Energy Efficient and Adaptive Design for Wireless Power Transfer in Electric Vehicles, 2016 IEEE 83rd Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2016-Spring. Nanjing, China, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 1-5.
- Jiang, Jing, Sun, Hongjian & Chiu, Wei-yu (2016), Energy Efficient Massive MIMO System Design for Smart Grid Communications, IEEE International Conference on Communications 2016. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 337-341.
- Jiang, Jing & Sun, Hongjian (2016), Performance Assessment of Distributed Communication Architectures in Smart Grid, 2016 IEEE 83rd Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2016-Spring. Nanjing, China, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 1-5.
- You, Minglei & Sun, Hongjian (2016), Realising Energy-Aware Communication over Fading Channels under QoS Constraints (Invited Paper), IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband. Nanjing, China, IEEE, 1-4.
- Chiu, Wei-yu, Sun, Hongjian & Poor, H. Vincent (2015), An H∞ design for dynamic pricing in the smart grid, in Soh, Azura Che, Selamat, Hazlina, Rahman, Ribhan Zafira Abdul, Ishak, Asnor Juraiza, Ahmad, Siti Anom, Ramli, Hafiz Rashidi Harun & Faudzi, Ahmad Athif Mohd eds, 2015 10th Asian Control Conference (ASCC). Sabah, Malaysia, IEEE, Sabah, 1-6.
- You, Minglei, Mou, Xiaolin & Sun, Hongjian (2015), Effective capacity analysis of smart grid communication networks, 20th IEEE International Workshop on Computer Aided Modelling and Design of Communication Links and Networks. Guildford, UK, IEEE, University of Surrey, 196-200.
- Mou, Xiaolin & Sun, Hongjian (2015), Wireless Power Transfer: Survey and Roadmap, 2015 IEEE 81st Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2015-Spring. Glasgow, UK, IEEE, Glasgow, 1-5.
- Zhao, Nan, Qu, Tianyi, Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, A. & Yin, Hongxi (2013), Frequency Scheduling Based Interference Alignment for Cognitive Radio Networks, IEEE Globecom'13. Atlanta GA, IEEE, Atlanta GA, 1-5.
- Zhao, N., Yu, F. R., Sun Hongjian & Nallanathan, A. (2012), An Energy-Efficient Cooperative Spectrum Sensing Scheme for Cognitive Radio Networks, IEEE GlobeCom'12. Anaheim, CA, USA, IEEE, Anaheim CA, 3600-3604
- Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, A., Jiang, J. & Poor, H. V. (2012), Compressive Autonomous Sensing (CASe) for Wideband Spectrum Sensing, IEEE ICC'12. Ottawa, Canada, Ottawa, 5953-5957.
- Chiu, W.-Y., Sun, Hongjian & Poor, H. V. (2012), Demand-side energy storage system management in smart grid, Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), 2012 IEEE Third International Conference on. Tainan, Taiwan, IEEE, Tainan, 73-78.
- Sun Hongjian, Nallanathan, A., Zhao, N. & Wang, C.-X. (2012), Green Data Transmission in Power Line Communications, IEEE GlobeCom'12. Anaheim, CA, USA, Anaheim CA, 3702-3706
- Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, A. & Jiang, J. (2012), Improving the Energy Efficiency of Power Line Communications by Spectrum Sensing, IEEE ICACCI'12. Chennai, India, Chennai, 758-762.
- Zhao, N., Yu, F. R., Sun, Hongjian, Yin, H. & Nallanathan, A. (2012), Interference Alignment Based on Channel Prediction with Delayed Channel State, IEEE GlobeCom'12. Anaheim, CA, USA, Anaheim CA, 4244-4248
- Zhao, N., Yin, H., Yu, F. R. & Sun, Hongjian (2012), Interference Alignment through Antenna Switching to Improve Quality of Service in Wireless Networks, IEEE ICCC'12. Beijing, China, Beijing, 307-311.
- Chiu, W.-Y., Sun, Hongjian & Poor, H. V. (2012), Robust Power Flow Control in Smart Grids with Fluctuating Effects, IEEE INFOCOM'12. Orlando, Florida, USA, Orlando FL, 2678-2683.
- Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, A., Jiang, J., Laurenson, D. I., Wang, C.-X. & Poor, H. V. (2011), A Novel Wideband Spectrum Sensing System for Distributed Cognitive Radio Networks, IEEE GLOBECOM'11. Houston, Texas, USA, Houston TX, 1-6.
- Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, A. & Jiang, J. (2011), Adaptive Compressive Spectrum Sensing in Distributed Cognitive Radio Networks, IEEE APWCS'11. Singapore, 1-5.
- Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, A., Jiang, J. & Wang, C.-X. (2011), Cooperative Spectrum Sensing with Diversity Reception in Cognitive Radios, IEEE CHINACOM'11. Harbin, China, Harbin, 216-220.
- Sun, Hongjian, Laurenson, D. I. & Thompson, J. S. (2009), Cooperative Compressive Spectrum Sensing by Sub-Nyquist Sampling, IEEE UKIWCWS'09. IIT Delhi, India, IIT Delhi, 1-6.
- Sun, Hongjian, Laurenson, D. I., Thompson, J. S. & Wang, C.-X. (2008), A Novel Centralized Network for Sensing Spectrum in Cognitive Radio, IEEE ICC'08. Beijing, China, Beijing, 4186-4190.
- Li, Shancang, Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, Arumugam, Xu, Li, Zhao, Shanshan & Sun, Qindong (2014). Industrial Wireless Sensor Networks. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, 10 (8): Sage & Hindawi Publishing Corporation.
- Sun, Hongjian & et. al (2014). IEEE Standard for Spectrum Sensing Interfaces and Data Structures for Dynamic Spectrum Access and Other Advanced Radio Communication Systems - Amendment 1: Procedures, Protocols, and Data Archive Enhanced Interfaces. 1900.6a-2014 - IEEE Standard 1-52.
- Sun, Hongjian, Nallanathan, A., Holland, O. & Aghvami, H. (2012). IEEE Standards 1900.6a: Functional Requirements for Wideband Spectrum Sensing. IEEE Standard 1900.6a for Spectrum Sensing Interfaces and Data Structures for Dynamic Spectrum Access and other Advanced Radio Communication Systems Amendment: Procedures, Protocols and Data Archive Enhanced Interfaces