Dr Chris Groves, BEng PhD FHEA
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Chris Groves graduated with a 1st class honours degree in Electronic Engineering from Sheffield University in 2001. Thereafter he undertook a PhD in avalanche photodiodes at the same University which was sponsored by Bookham Technologies). After a short period of teaching, he changed research field to organic electronics, specifically photovoltaics, by undertaking postdoctoral positions at the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge University working on computational modeling, and then at the Department of Chemistry in the University of Washington, Seattle working on scanning probe measurements. He took up a post as Lecturer at Durham University in 2009 and became Senior Lecturer in 2013.
He is author of more than 30 journal articles, reviews, book chapters and news items which have been cited more than 1000 times. He has acted as referee for more than 20 journals, including Science and Nature Materials, as well as numerous national and international grant awarding bodies.
Organic electronic materials are a disruptive technology when compare to their standard, inorganic counterparts. Their potential low cost and scalable manufacture could lead to significantly reduced costs for large-area electronics such as photovoltaics and transistors. Dr Groves research centres around the relationship between the organisation of the organic material (the morphology) and the performance of the eventual device. This involves Monte Carlo simulation of electron trajectories within realistic device settings, as well as developing new measurement techniques centred around 1/f noise to better understand the consequences of complicated transport environments.
- Prof David Ginger, University of Washington
- Dr Jan Anton Koster, University of Groningen
- Dr Chris McNeill, Monash University
- Dr Karin Zojer, Technical University of Graz
Indicators of Esteem
- 2014: Article chosen as Hot Article by PCCP:
- 2014: Article chosen to be on the cover of a special issue of PCCP:
- 2014: Invited seminar at TU Graz:
- 2014: Invited talk at CECAM:
- 2014: Seminar at Technical University of Eindhoven:
- 2013: Article selected for Editor's choice: The advisory board of Energy & Environmental Science has selected our recent paper on charge separation in cascaded energy heterojunctions as Editor's choice.
- 2013: Invited Plenary at UK-Asia symposium on Organic Optoelectronics:
- 2013: Invited talk at Optical Probes:
- 2013: Seminar at Sheffield University:
- 2012: Invited article in Energy & Environmental Science:
- 2012: Invited short talk at ICSM, Atlanta GA:
- 2012: Invited talk at 6th winterschool on Organic Electronics (HYMEC): Dr Groves has been invited to give a presentation on the modelling of nanoscale organic devices
- 2012: Invited talk at the International conference on the simulation of organic electronics and photovoltaics: Dr Groves has been invited to give a presentation in Valencia on the modelling of nanoscale organic devices
- 2011: Invited talk and session chair at international JUDO-PV conference: Dr Groves has been invited to give a talk at Oxford University on the effects of surface wetting layers on organic photovoltaic device performance.
- 2011: Seminar at Cambridge University :
- Modelling of electronic transport in conducting polymers
- Organic Electronic devices
- 1/f Noise
- Digital Electronics (Level 4/MSc) (33 hours/year.)
- Electronic Measurement (Level 1) (21 hours/year.)
- Level 1 Design
- Renewable Energy and the Environment (Level 3/MSc) (4 hours/year.)
- Giridharagopal R., Shao G., Groves C. & Ginger D.S. (2010). New scanning probe microscopy techniques for analyzing organic photovoltaic materials and devices. Photovoltaics World 2(4): 23-27.
- Groves, C. (2013). Developing understanding of organic photovoltaic devices: kinetic Monte Carlo models of geminate and non-geminate recombination, charge transport and charge extraction. Energy & Environmental Science 6(11): 3202-3217.
- Groves, C., Reid, O.G. & Ginger, D.S. (2010). Heterogeneity in Polymer Solar Cells: Local Morphology and Performance in Organic Photovoltaics Studied with Scanning Probe Microscopy. Accounts of Chemical Research 43(5): 612-620.
- Groves, C & Greenham, NC (2014). Chapter 467 Monte Carlo Simulations of Organic Photovoltaics. In Computational Photovoltaics. Beljonne, D & Cornil, J Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Groves, C (2014). Modeling OPV Performance - Morphology, Transport and Recombination. In Organic Solar Cells - Fundamentals, Devices and Upsacling. Rand, BP & Richter, H Pan Stanford.
Journal papers: academic
- Kaku, K., Williams, A.T., Mendis, B.G. & Groves, C. (2015). Examining Charge Transport Networks in Organic Bulk Heterojunction Photovoltaic Diodes using 1/f Noise Spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 3(23): 6077-6085.
- Jones, M.L., Dyer, R., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2014). Are hot charge transfer states the primary cause of efficient free-charge generation in polymer:fullerene organic photovoltaic devices? A kinetic Monte Carlo study. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 16(38): 20310-20320.
- Williams, A.T., Farrar, P., Gallant, A.J., Atkinson, D. & Groves, C. (2014). Characterisation of Charge Conduction Networks in Poly(3-hexylthiophene)/Polystyrene Blends using Noise Spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 2(9): 1742-1748.
- Jones, L.M., Chakrabarti, B. & Groves, C. (2014). Monte Carlo Simulation of Geminate Pair Recombination Dynamics in Organic Photovoltaic Devices: Multi-Exponential, Field-Dependent Kinetics and Its Interpretation. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118(1): 85-91.
- Groves, C. (2013). Organic light-emitting diodes: bright design. Nature Materials 12: 597-598.
- Mendis, Budhika G. , Bishop, Sarah J. , Groves, Chris , Szablewski, Marek , Berlie, Adam & Halliday, Douglas P. (2013). Plasmon-loss imaging of polymer-methanofullerene bulk heterojunction solar cells. Applied Physics Letters 102(25): 253301.
- Groves, C. (2013). Suppression of geminate charge recombination in organic photovoltaic devices with a cascaded energy heterojunction. Energy and Environmental Science 6(5): 1546-1551.
- Luria, J.L., Hoepker, N., Bruce, R., Jacobs, A.R., Groves, C. & Marohn, J.A. (2012). Spectroscopic Imaging of Photopotentials and Potential Fluctuations in a Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cell Film. ACS Nano 6(11): 9392-9401.
- Lyons, B. P., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2012). The relative importance of domain size, domain purity and domain interfaces to the performance of bulk-heterojunction organic photovoltaics. Energy & Environmental Science 5(6): 7657-7663.
- Lyons, B.P., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2011). The Quantitative Effect of Surface Wetting Layers on the Performance of Organic Bulk Heterojunction Photovoltaic Devices. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115(45): 22572–22577.
- Yan, H., Swaraj, S., Wang, C., Hwang, I., Greenham, N.C., Groves, C., Ade, H. & McNeill, C.R. (2010). Influence of annealing and interfacial roughness on the performance of bilayer donor/acceptor polymer photovoltaic devices. Advanced functional materials 20(24): 4329-4337.
- Giridharagopal, R., Shao, G., Groves, C. & Ginger, D.S. (2010). New SPM techniques for analyzing OPV materials. Materials Today 13(9): 50-56.
- Groves, C., Kimber, R.G.E. & Walker, A.B. (2010). Simulation of loss mechanisms in organic solar cells: A description of the mesoscopic Monte Carlo technique and an evaluation of the first reaction method. Journal of Chemical Physics 133(14): 144110.
- Groves C., Blakelsey J.C. & Greenham N.C. (2010). The effect of charge trapping on geminate recombination and polymer solar cell performance. Nano Letters 10(3): 1063-1069.
- Groves, C, Koster, LJA & Greenham, NC (2009). The effect of morphology upon mobility: Implications for bulk heterojunction solar cells with nonuniform blend morphology. Journal Of Applied Physics 105(9): 094510
- Groves, C & Greenham, NC (2008). Bimolecular recombination in polymer electronic devices. Physical Review B 78(15): 155205.
- Petrozza, A, Groves, C & Snaith, HJ (2008). Electron transport and recombination in dye-sensitized mesoporous TiO2 probed by photoinduced charge-conductivity modulation spectroscopy with Monte Carlo modeling. Journal Of The American Chemical Society 130(39): 12912-12920.
- Zaumseil, J., Groves, C., Winfield, J.M., Greenham, N.C. & Sirringhaus, H. (2008). Electron-Hole Recombination in Uniaxially Aligned Semiconducting Polymers. Advanced Functional Materials 18(22): 3630-3637.
- Groves, C., Marsh, R.A. & Greenham, N.C. (2008). Monte Carlo modeling of geminate recombination in polymer-polymer photovoltaic devices. Journal Of Chemical Physics 129(11): 114903, 7.
- Marsh, R.A., Groves, C. & Greenham, N.C. (2007). A microscopic model for the behavior of nanostructured organic photovoltaic devices. Journal Of Applied Physics 101(8): 083509, 083509.
- Groves, C & David, JPR (2007). Effects of ionization velocity and dead space on avalanche photodiode bit error rate. Ieee Transactions On Communications 55(11): 2152-2158.
- McNeill, CR, Westenhoff, S, Groves, C, Friend, RH & Greenham, NC (2007). Influence of nanoscale phase separation on the charge generation dynamics and photovoltaic performance of conjugated polymer blends: Balancing charge generation and separation. Journal Of Physical Chemistry C 111(51): 19153-19160.
- Aivaliotis, P, Vukmirovic, N, Zibik, EA, Cockburn, JW, Indjin, D, Harrison, P, Groves, C, David, JPR, Hopkinson, M & Wilson, LR (2007). Stark shift of the spectral response in quantum dots-in-a-well infrared photodetectors. Journal Of Physics D-applied Physics 40(18): 5537-5540.
- Groves, C, Chia, CK, Tozer, RC, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2005). Avalanche noise characteristics of single AlxGa1-xAs(0.3 < x < 0.6)-GaAs heterojunction APDs. Ieee Journal Of Quantum Electronics 41(1): 70-75.
- Groves, C, Tan, CH, David, JPR, Rees, GJ & Hayat, MM (2005). Exponential time response in analogue and Geiger mode avalanche photodiodes. Ieee Transactions On Electron Devices 52(7): 1527-1534.
- Groves, C, David, JPR, Rees, GJ & Ong, DS (2004). Modeling of avalanche multiplication and noise in heterojunction avalanche photodiodes. Journal Of Applied Physics 95(11): 6245-6251.
- Groves, C, Harrison, CN, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2004). Temperature dependence of breakdown voltage in AlxGa1-xAs. Journal Of Applied Physics 96(9): 5017-5019.
- Groves, C, Ghin, R, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2003). Temperature dependence of impact ionization in GaAs. Ieee Transactions On Electron Devices 50(10): 2027-2031.
- Groves, C, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2003). The effect of ionization threshold softness on the temperature dependence of the impact ionization coefficient. Semiconductor Science And Technology 18(7): 689-692.