Dr Chris Groves, BEng PhD FHEA
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Chris Groves graduated with a 1st class honours degree in Electronic Engineering from Sheffield University in 2001. Thereafter he undertook a PhD in avalanche photodiodes at the same University which was sponsored by Bookham Technologies (formerly Marconi). After a short period of teaching, he changed research field to organic electronics, specifically photovoltaics, by undertaking postdoctoral positions at the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge University working on computational modeling, and then at the Department of Chemistry in the University of Washington, Seattle working on scanning probe measurements. He took up a post as Lecturer at Durham University in 2009 and became senior lecturer in 2013.
Organic materials offer the opportunity to dramatically reduce the cost of electronic devices because the active materials can be printed, much like a newspaper. One of the most important applications of this technology is in gathering solar energy through photovoltaics. Although organic photovoltaics are improving rapidly, it is still relatively difficult to understand why one set of devices work whilst others do not. Dr Groves uses modelling and experimental techniques to improve this understanding. In particular he concentrates his efforts on understanding the links between the structure of a solar cell and its performance using Monte Carlo charge transport models. Dr Groves is author of more than 30 journal articles and conference proceedings in addition to gaining over £250,000 in research funding as principle investigator, including funding from the EPSRC and Royal Society.
He also acts/has acted as a referee for a number of publishers:
- The American Chemical Society (Journal of the American Chemical Society, Journal of Physical Chemistry B&C, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters)
- The American Institute of Physics (Journal of Applied Physics, Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Chemical Physics)
- The American Physical Society (Physical Review Letters, Physical Review B)
- Elsevier (Organic Electronics, Thin Solid Films)
- IEEE (Journal of Selected topics in Quantum Electronics)
- The Institute of Physics (Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics)
- Materials Research Society (Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology)
- Nature Materials (Nature Publishing Group)
- The Optical Socety (Optics Express)
- The Royal Society of Chemistry (Journal of Materials Chemistry, Energy & Environmental Science)
- Springer (Applied Physics A)
- Wiley (Advanced Energy Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, Small)
- ...as well as national and international grant awarding bodies.
- Prof David Ginger, University of Washington
- Dr Jan Anton Koster, University of Groningen
- Dr Chris McNeill, Monash University
Indicators of Esteem
- 2014: Invited talk at CECAM:
- 2014: Seminar at Technical University of Eindhoven:
- 2013: Article selected for Editor's choice: The advisory board of Energy & Environmental Science has selected our recent paper on charge separation in cascaded energy heterojunctions as Editor's choice.
- 2013: Invited Plenary at UK-Asia symposium on Organic Optoelectronics:
- 2013: Invited talk at Optical Probes:
- 2013: Seminar at Sheffield University:
- 2012: Invited article in Energy & Environmental Science:
- 2012: Invited short talk at ICSM, Atlanta GA:
- 2012: Invited talk at 6th winterschool on Organic Electronics (HYMEC): Dr Groves has been invited to give a presentation on the modelling of nanoscale organic devices
- 2012: Invited talk at the International conference on the simulation of organic electronics and photovoltaics: Dr Groves has been invited to give a presentation in Valencia on the modelling of nanoscale organic devices
- 2011: Invited talk and session chair at international JUDO-PV conference: Dr Groves has been invited to give a talk at Oxford University on the effects of surface wetting layers on organic photovoltaic device performance.
- 2011: Seminar at Cambridge University :
- Modelling of electronic transport in conducting polymers
- Organic Electronic devices
- Organic and Inorganic photodetectors
- Measurement of noise in semiconductor devices
- Digital Electonics III - VHDL and digital system design (42 hours/year.)
- Environmental Engineering and Renewable Energy (3 hours/year.)
- L1 Circuits and Systems (40 hours/year.)
- L1 Computing labs
- L1 Design
- L2 project week
- L4 Photonics (10 hours/year.)
- Groves, C (2013). Organic light-emitting diodes: Bright design. Nature Materials 12: 597-598.
- Giridharagopal R., Shao G., Groves C. & Ginger D.S. (2010). New scanning probe microscopy techniques for analyzing organic photovoltaic materials and devices. Photovoltaics World 2(4): 23-27.
- Giridharagopal, R., Shao, G., Groves, C. & Ginger, D.S. (2010). New SPM techniques for analyzing OPV materials. Materials Today 13(9): 50-56.
- Groves, C (2013). Developing understanding of organic photovoltaic devices: kinetic Monte Carlo models of geminate and non-geminate recombination, charge transport and charge extraction. Energy & Environmental Science 6(11): 3202-3217.
- Groves, C., Reid, O.G. & Ginger, D.S. (2010). Heterogeneity in Polymer Solar Cells: Local Morphology and Performance in Organic Photovoltaics Studied with Scanning Probe Microscopy. Accounts of Chemical Research 43(5): 612-620.
- Groves, C & Greenham, NC (2014). Chapter 467 Monte Carlo Simulations of Organic Photovoltaics. In Computational Photovoltaics. Beljonne, D & Cornil, J Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
Journal papers: academic
- Williams, A.T., Farrar, P., Gallant, A.J., Atkinson, D. & Groves, C. (2014). Characterisation of Charge Conduction Networks in Poly(3-hexylthiophene)/Polystyrene Blends using Noise Spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 2(9): 1742-1748.
- Jones, L.M., Chakrabarti, B. & Groves, C. (2014). Monte Carlo Simulation of Geminate Pair Recombination Dynamics in Organic Photovoltaic Devices: Multi-Exponential, Field-Dependent Kinetics and Its Interpretation. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118(1): 85-91.
- Mendis, Budhika G. , Bishop, Sarah J. , Groves, Chris , Szablewski, Marek , Berlie, Adam & Halliday, Douglas P. (2013). Plasmon-loss imaging of polymer-methanofullerene bulk heterojunction solar cells. Applied Physics Letters 102(25): 253301.
- Groves, C. (2013). Suppression of geminate charge recombination in organic photovoltaic devices with a cascaded energy heterojunction. Energy and Environmental Science 6(5): 1546-1551.
- Luria, J.L., Hoepker, N., Bruce, R., Jacobs, A.R., Groves, C. & Marohn, J.A. (2012). Spectroscopic Imaging of Photopotentials and Potential Fluctuations in a Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cell Film. ACS Nano 6(11): 9392-9401.
- Lyons, B. P., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2012). The relative importance of domain size, domain purity and domain interfaces to the performance of bulk-heterojunction organic photovoltaics. Energy & Environmental Science 5(6): 7657-7663.
- Lyons, B.P., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2011). The Quantitative Effect of Surface Wetting Layers on the Performance of Organic Bulk Heterojunction Photovoltaic Devices. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115(45): 22572–22577.
- Yan, H., Swaraj, S., Wang, C., Hwang, I., Greenham, N.C., Groves, C., Ade, H. & McNeill, C.R. (2010). Influence of annealing and interfacial roughness on the performance of bilayer donor/acceptor polymer photovoltaic devices. Advanced functional materials 20(24): 4329-4337.
- Groves, C., Kimber, R.G.E. & Walker, A.B. (2010). Simulation of loss mechanisms in organic solar cells: A description of the mesoscopic Monte Carlo technique and an evaluation of the first reaction method. Journal of Chemical Physics 133(14): 144110.
- Groves C., Blakelsey J.C. & Greenham N.C. (2010). The effect of charge trapping on geminate recombination and polymer solar cell performance. Nano Letters 10(3): 1063-1069.
- Groves, C, Koster, LJA & Greenham, NC (2009). The effect of morphology upon mobility: Implications for bulk heterojunction solar cells with nonuniform blend morphology. Journal Of Applied Physics 105(9): 094510
- Groves, C & Greenham, NC (2008). Bimolecular recombination in polymer electronic devices. Physical Review B 78(15): 155205.
- Petrozza, A, Groves, C & Snaith, HJ (2008). Electron transport and recombination in dye-sensitized mesoporous TiO2 probed by photoinduced charge-conductivity modulation spectroscopy with Monte Carlo modeling. Journal Of The American Chemical Society 130(39): 12912-12920.
- Zaumseil, J, Groves, C, Winfield, JM, Greenham, NC & Sirringhaus, H (2008). Electron-Hole Recombination in Uniaxially Aligned Semiconducting Polymers. Advanced Functional Materials 18(22): 3630-3637.
- Groves, C., Marsh, R.A. & Greenham, N.C. (2008). Monte Carlo modeling of geminate recombination in polymer-polymer photovoltaic devices. Journal Of Chemical Physics 129(11): 114903, 7.
- Marsh, R.A., Groves, C. & Greenham, N.C. (2007). A microscopic model for the behavior of nanostructured organic photovoltaic devices. Journal Of Applied Physics 101(8): 083509, 083509.
- Groves, C & David, JPR (2007). Effects of ionization velocity and dead space on avalanche photodiode bit error rate. Ieee Transactions On Communications 55(11): 2152-2158.
- McNeill, CR, Westenhoff, S, Groves, C, Friend, RH & Greenham, NC (2007). Influence of nanoscale phase separation on the charge generation dynamics and photovoltaic performance of conjugated polymer blends: Balancing charge generation and separation. Journal Of Physical Chemistry C 111(51): 19153-19160.
- Aivaliotis, P, Vukmirovic, N, Zibik, EA, Cockburn, JW, Indjin, D, Harrison, P, Groves, C, David, JPR, Hopkinson, M & Wilson, LR (2007). Stark shift of the spectral response in quantum dots-in-a-well infrared photodetectors. Journal Of Physics D-applied Physics 40(18): 5537-5540.
- Groves, C, Chia, CK, Tozer, RC, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2005). Avalanche noise characteristics of single AlxGa1-xAs(0.3 < x < 0.6)-GaAs heterojunction APDs. Ieee Journal Of Quantum Electronics 41(1): 70-75.
- Groves, C, Tan, CH, David, JPR, Rees, GJ & Hayat, MM (2005). Exponential time response in analogue and Geiger mode avalanche photodiodes. Ieee Transactions On Electron Devices 52(7): 1527-1534.
- Groves, C, David, JPR, Rees, GJ & Ong, DS (2004). Modeling of avalanche multiplication and noise in heterojunction avalanche photodiodes. Journal Of Applied Physics 95(11): 6245-6251.
- Groves, C, Harrison, CN, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2004). Temperature dependence of breakdown voltage in AlxGa1-xAs. Journal Of Applied Physics 96(9): 5017-5019.
- Groves, C, Ghin, R, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2003). Temperature dependence of impact ionization in GaAs. Ieee Transactions On Electron Devices 50(10): 2027-2031.
- Groves, C, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2003). The effect of ionization threshold softness on the temperature dependence of the impact ionization coefficient. Semiconductor Science And Technology 18(7): 689-692.