Dr Chris Groves, BEng PhD FHEA
Personal web page
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 42495
Room number: E381 (Christopherson)
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Chris Groves completed his BEng and PhD degrees in Electronic Engineering and Solid-State Physics respectively at Sheffield University. He subsequently undertook postdoctoral research possitions at the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge University and the University of Washington in Seattle prior to joining Durham University in 2009. He is author of more than 30 journal articles, reviews, and book chapters which collectively have been cited more than 1000 times. He has acted as referee for more than numerous high-impact journals, including Science and Nature Materials, as well as national and international grant awarding bodies.
Organic electronic materials are a disruptive technology when compare to their standard, inorganic counterparts. Their potential low cost and scalable manufacture could lead to significantly reduced costs for large-area electronics such as photovoltaics and transistors. Dr Groves research centres around the relationship between the organisation of the organic material (the morphology) and the performance of the eventual device. This involves Monte Carlo simulation of electron trajectories within realistic device settings, as well as developing new measurement techniques centred around 1/f noise to better understand the consequences of complicated transport environments.
- Dr David Huang, University of Adelaide
- Prof David Ginger, University of Washington
- Dr Jan Anton Koster, University of Groningen
- Dr Chris McNeill, Monash University
- Dr Karin Zojer, Technical University of Graz
Indicators of Esteem
- Modelling of electronic transport in conducting polymers
- Organic Electronic devices
- 1/f Noise
- Digital Electronics (Level 4/MSc) (33 hours/year.)
- Electronic Measurement (Level 1) (21 hours/year.)
- Level 1 Design
- Renewable Energy and the Environment (Level 3/MSc) (4 hours/year.)
- Vissol-Gaudin, E, Kotsialos, A, Massey, MK, Zeze, DA, Pearson, C, Groves, C & Petty MC (2016). Unconventional Computation and Natural Computation.
Journal papers: academic
- Jones, M.L., Huang, D.M., Chakrabarti, B. & Groves, C. (2016). Relating Molecular Morphology to Charge Mobility in Semicrystalline Conjugated Polymers. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 120(8): 4240-4250.
- Kaku, K., Williams, A.T., Mendis, B.G. & Groves, C. (2015). Examining Charge Transport Networks in Organic Bulk Heterojunction Photovoltaic Diodes using 1/f Noise Spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 3(23): 6077-6085.
- Jones, M.L., Dyer, R., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2014). Are hot charge transfer states the primary cause of efficient free-charge generation in polymer:fullerene organic photovoltaic devices? A kinetic Monte Carlo study. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 16(38): 20310-20320.
- Williams, A.T., Farrar, P., Gallant, A.J., Atkinson, D. & Groves, C. (2014). Characterisation of Charge Conduction Networks in Poly(3-hexylthiophene)/Polystyrene Blends using Noise Spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 2(9): 1742-1748.
- Jones, L.M., Chakrabarti, B. & Groves, C. (2014). Monte Carlo Simulation of Geminate Pair Recombination Dynamics in Organic Photovoltaic Devices: Multi-Exponential, Field-Dependent Kinetics and Its Interpretation. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118(1): 85-91.
- Groves, C. (2013). Organic light-emitting diodes: bright design. Nature Materials 12: 597-598.
- Mendis, Budhika G. , Bishop, Sarah J. , Groves, Chris , Szablewski, Marek , Berlie, Adam & Halliday, Douglas P. (2013). Plasmon-loss imaging of polymer-methanofullerene bulk heterojunction solar cells. Applied Physics Letters 102(25): 253301.
- Groves, C. (2013). Suppression of geminate charge recombination in organic photovoltaic devices with a cascaded energy heterojunction. Energy and Environmental Science 6(5): 1546-1551.
- Luria, J.L., Hoepker, N., Bruce, R., Jacobs, A.R., Groves, C. & Marohn, J.A. (2012). Spectroscopic Imaging of Photopotentials and Potential Fluctuations in a Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cell Film. ACS Nano 6(11): 9392-9401.
- Lyons, B. P., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2012). The relative importance of domain size, domain purity and domain interfaces to the performance of bulk-heterojunction organic photovoltaics. Energy & Environmental Science 5(6): 7657-7663.
- Lyons, B.P., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2011). The Quantitative Effect of Surface Wetting Layers on the Performance of Organic Bulk Heterojunction Photovoltaic Devices. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115(45): 22572–22577.
- Yan, H., Swaraj, S., Wang, C., Hwang, I., Greenham, N.C., Groves, C., Ade, H. & McNeill, C.R. (2010). Influence of annealing and interfacial roughness on the performance of bilayer donor/acceptor polymer photovoltaic devices. Advanced functional materials 20(24): 4329-4337.
- Giridharagopal, R., Shao, G., Groves, C. & Ginger, D.S. (2010). New SPM techniques for analyzing OPV materials. Materials Today 13(9): 50-56.
- Groves, C., Kimber, R.G.E. & Walker, A.B. (2010). Simulation of loss mechanisms in organic solar cells: A description of the mesoscopic Monte Carlo technique and an evaluation of the first reaction method. Journal of Chemical Physics 133(14): 144110.
- Groves C., Blakelsey J.C. & Greenham N.C. (2010). The effect of charge trapping on geminate recombination and polymer solar cell performance. Nano Letters 10(3): 1063-1069.
- Groves, C, Koster, LJA & Greenham, NC (2009). The effect of morphology upon mobility: Implications for bulk heterojunction solar cells with nonuniform blend morphology. Journal Of Applied Physics 105(9): 094510
- Groves, C & Greenham, NC (2008). Bimolecular recombination in polymer electronic devices. Physical Review B 78(15): 155205.
- Petrozza, A, Groves, C & Snaith, HJ (2008). Electron transport and recombination in dye-sensitized mesoporous TiO2 probed by photoinduced charge-conductivity modulation spectroscopy with Monte Carlo modeling. Journal Of The American Chemical Society 130(39): 12912-12920.
- Zaumseil, J., Groves, C., Winfield, J.M., Greenham, N.C. & Sirringhaus, H. (2008). Electron-Hole Recombination in Uniaxially Aligned Semiconducting Polymers. Advanced Functional Materials 18(22): 3630-3637.
- Groves, C., Marsh, R.A. & Greenham, N.C. (2008). Monte Carlo modeling of geminate recombination in polymer-polymer photovoltaic devices. Journal Of Chemical Physics 129(11): 114903.
- Marsh, R.A., Groves, C. & Greenham, N.C. (2007). A microscopic model for the behavior of nanostructured organic photovoltaic devices. Journal Of Applied Physics 101(8): 083509, 083509.
- Groves, C & David, JPR (2007). Effects of ionization velocity and dead space on avalanche photodiode bit error rate. Ieee Transactions On Communications 55(11): 2152-2158.
- McNeill, CR, Westenhoff, S, Groves, C, Friend, RH & Greenham, NC (2007). Influence of nanoscale phase separation on the charge generation dynamics and photovoltaic performance of conjugated polymer blends: Balancing charge generation and separation. Journal Of Physical Chemistry C 111(51): 19153-19160.
- Aivaliotis, P, Vukmirovic, N, Zibik, EA, Cockburn, JW, Indjin, D, Harrison, P, Groves, C, David, JPR, Hopkinson, M & Wilson, LR (2007). Stark shift of the spectral response in quantum dots-in-a-well infrared photodetectors. Journal Of Physics D-applied Physics 40(18): 5537-5540.
- Groves, C, Chia, CK, Tozer, RC, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2005). Avalanche noise characteristics of single AlxGa1-xAs(0.3 < x < 0.6)-GaAs heterojunction APDs. Ieee Journal Of Quantum Electronics 41(1): 70-75.
- Groves, C, Tan, CH, David, JPR, Rees, GJ & Hayat, MM (2005). Exponential time response in analogue and Geiger mode avalanche photodiodes. Ieee Transactions On Electron Devices 52(7): 1527-1534.
- Groves, C, David, JPR, Rees, GJ & Ong, DS (2004). Modeling of avalanche multiplication and noise in heterojunction avalanche photodiodes. Journal Of Applied Physics 95(11): 6245-6251.
- Groves, C, Harrison, CN, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2004). Temperature dependence of breakdown voltage in AlxGa1-xAs. Journal Of Applied Physics 96(9): 5017-5019.
- Groves, C, Ghin, R, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2003). Temperature dependence of impact ionization in GaAs. Ieee Transactions On Electron Devices 50(10): 2027-2031.
- Groves, C, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2003). The effect of ionization threshold softness on the temperature dependence of the impact ionization coefficient. Semiconductor Science And Technology 18(7): 689-692.
Show all publications