Miss Sarah Clancy, Bsc (Hons)
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
2017 - Present: Research Assistant for ReFINE, School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, Newcastle University.
2015 - Present: PhD in Environmental Geosciences, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University.
2012 - 2015: Geologist in Pore Pressure Prediction, Ikon GeoScience, Kuala Lumpur, KL.
2009 - 2012: BSc in Geology (First Class), Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University.
My research focuses on the potential environmental risks of shale gas extraction by hydraulic fracturing (‘fracking’). Specifically my PhD research looks into the potential concerns associated with well pad infrastructure, with regard to public safety and environmental footprint.
My four main research areas include:
- Surface footprint and well site location
- Spills and leaks
- Site legacy
- Mitigation strategies
My research is part of the EU funded M4ShaleGas consortium and the ReFINE consortium, the aims of which are to fill the knowledge gap with regards to the potential environmental issues associated with hydraulic fracturing.
- Clancy, S. A., Worrall, F., Davies, R. J., Gluyas, J. G. (2018) The potential for spills and leaks of contaminated liquids from shale gas developments. Science of the Total Environment 626: 1463-1473.
- Clancy, S. A., Worrall, F., Davies, R. J., Gluyas, J. G. (2018) An assessment of the footprint and carrying capacity of oil and gas well sites: The implications for limiting hydrocarbon reserves. Science of the Total Environment 618: 586-894. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.02.160
- Imber, J., Armstrong, H., Clancy. S., Daniels, S., Herringshaw, L., McCaffrey, K., Rodrigues, J., Trabucho-Alexandre, J., Warren, C. (2014) Natural fractures in a United Kingdom shale reservoir analog, Cleveland Basin, northeast England. AAPG Bulletin 98(11): 2411–2437.
- Almond, S., Clancy, S. A., Davies, R. J., Worrall, F. (2014) The flux of radionuclides in flowback fluid from shale gas exploitation. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 21(21): 12316-12324.
- Edwards, A., Heller, J., Clancy, S., Whitfield, N., O’Connor, S. (2013) Pressure Prediction in Exhumed Basins. GEO ExPro.
Scholarships & Awards
- June 2018 - Winner of the BP sponsored Best Postgraduate Poster at the Department of Earth Sciences Conference, Durham University.
- April 2018 - Winner of the Outstanding Student Poster and PICO (OSPP) Award contest at the EGU General Assembly in Vienna.
- April 2018 - Awarded The John (Jack) Simpson Greenwell Memorial Fund (County Durham Community Foundation) to attend the Third Onshore Oil and Gas Summit: £270.
- September 2017 - Awarded The Caedmon/Ceolfrid Trust to attend AGU in New Orleans: £250.
- June 2017 - Awarded The John (Jack) Simpson Greenwell Memorial Fund (County Durham Community Foundation) to attend the Shale Gas Summit in Buenos Aires: £1300.