Prof Jon Gluyas, BSc (Hons), PhD
2017 – present — Executive Director Durham Energy Institute, member of Senate
2014 – present — Dean of Knowledge Exchange, member of Senate
2011 – 2014 — Head of Department, member of Senate
2010 – 2011 — Director, CeREES
2009 – present — Professor of Geoenergy, Carbon Capture and Storage
2009 – present — ERC Equipoise Ltd., Non-executive Director
2005 – 2009 — Fairfield Energy Ltd., Founder and Head of Business Development/Head of Geoscience
2001 – 2005 — Acorn Oil & Gas, Founder and Geoscience director
1996 – 2001 — Oil industry, independent sector.
1981 – 1996 — BP Exploration
1978 – 1981 — PhD, University of Liverpool
Career Research Highlights
Commercial quantities of helium have always been found by accident when searching for petroleum gas. That was true until December 2015 when following a research programme sponsored by Statoil Jon Gluyas, Chris Ballentine (Oxford University) and team confirmed a major discovery of helium in Tanzania’s East African Rift Valley. This followed a programme designed to understand the source, maturation, migration and accumulation of helium in the Earth’s crust.
Geothermal energy is little developed in the UK and yet the resource base could supply heat to the nation for at least 100 years. Our current research examines the utility of abandoned and late-life petroleum fields for supplying geothermal energy as well as the possibility that deep karst in Carboniferous limestones could also make major contribution the UK’s heating requirements as well as reducing the national carbon footprint.
Other current research includes work on UK energy security and the potential for developing enhanced oil and gas recovery and tight gas sandstones.
Committee and Society Service
2012 – 2016 — Remuneration Committee; The Geological Society of London
2012 – 2016 — Awards Committee; The Geological Society of London
2011 – 2011 — Chairman; EPSRC/NERC/TSB/DECC UK CCS Research Centre Development Board
2010 – 2012 — President; Earth Science Teachers Association
2010 – 2011 — Chairman of the Board; British Geological Survey
2010 — Advisory board; National Grid Carbon
2009 – 2009 — President; Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain
2003 – 2007 — Council; The Geological Society of London
2000 – 2006 — Publications Committee; The Geological Society of London
Conferences and Workshops
Chair and organiser for the American Association of Petroleum Geologists workshop on Geothermal/Petroleum Crossover Technology an international meeting in Durham UK 2017
Chair of organising committee – Late Field Life reservoirs Geological Society London, 2014
Co-convenor Himalaya confeerence Ladakh India 2014
Chair of organizing committee - The Geological Society of London/American Association of Petroleum Geologists Conference on Carbon Capture and Storage; 2011
Chairman and organiser - Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain PETEX; 2010
Co-convenor - The Geological Society of London Petroleum Group Meeting; 2009
Chairman and organiser - Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain 'Prospex' conference; 2009
Convenor: 'Better Recovery' theme - The Geological Society of London Petroleum Group Meeting; 2008
Chairman and organiser - Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain 'Prospex' conference; 2008
2015 – present – Editor UK oil and Gas Fields – Geological Society Memoir 2nd edition
2012- 2013 – Editor Geological Storage of Carbon Dioxide – Woodhead Publications
1997 – 2006 — Associate Editor, Terra Nova
1999- 2003 - Editor UK oil and Gas Fields – Geological Society Memoir
1994-1997 – Editor, AAPG Memoir Reservoir Quality Prediction
2006 – 2011 — Editor, Petroleum Geoscience, Geological Society Publication
"Deep Basinal Pore Fluids – An Underused Resource?" - The Geological Society of London Water Futures Meeting, 2012
"The king is dead, long live the king" - Durham University/Newcastle University Next Generation Coal Conference, 2012
"Carbon Storage – the subsurface how, where and now – How to choose a subsurface storage site for carbon dioxide" - Society of Petroleum Engineers Aberdeen Section, 2011
"An Overview of Current Research Activity in Carbon Storage at the University of Durham UK" - CATO Research meeting , 2011
"Industrial and academic collaboration, the key to a clean future from geoenergy " - Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain PETEX Conference, 2010
Membership of Organisations and Societies
1978 – present — Fellow, The Geological Society of London
1995 – present — Member, Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain
2003 – present — Member, All-Party Parliamentary Group for Earth Sciences
Prizes and Awards
2000 — Aberconway Medal - The Geological Society of London
Department of Earth Sciences
Durham Energy Institute
- Energy Policy Group
- Sediment Diagenesis and Reservoir Quality Prediction
- Petroleum Production Geosciences
- Carbon Capture and Geostorage
- Geothermal Energy
Chapter in book
- Gluyas, Jon, Auld, Alison, Adams, Charlotte, Hirst, Catherine, Hogg, Simon & Craig, Jonathan (2019). Geothermal Potential of the Global Oil Industry. In Renewable Geothermal Energy Explorations. Ismail, Basel I. InTechOpen. 1-11.
- Gluyas, Jon, Tang, Longxun & Jones, Stuart (2018). Argyll Field: the first oil field to be developed on the UK Continental Shelf. In History of the European Oil and Gas Industry. Craig, J., Gerali, F., Macaulay, F. & Sorkhabi, R. London: Geological Society. 465: 77-93.
- Gluyas, J. (2012). Chapter 8. In The Technical and Legal Guide to Global Hydrocarbons Volume 1. Neilson, E.C. & Wills, J. Aberlour Press, Aberdeen. 327-424.
- Hirst, C.M., Gluyas, J.G & Mathias, S.A. (2013), Late Field Life of the East Midlands Petroleum Province - A New Geothermal Prospect?, Sustainable earth sciences 2013 proceedings.
- Wilkinson, M., Haszeldine, R.S., Hosa, A., Stewart, R.J., Holloway, S., Bentham, M., Smith, K., Swarbrick, R., Jenkins, S., Gluyas, J., Mackay, E., Smith, G., Daniels, S. & Raistrick, M. (2011), Defining simple and comprehensive assessment units for CO2 storage in saline formations beneath the UK North Sea and continental shelf, Energy Procedia 4: 10th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies (GHGT-10). Amsterdam, Netherlands, Elsevier, 4865-4872.
- Adams, C.A., Gluyas, J.G. & Mathias, S.A. (2010), Application of Hydrogeological parameters for evaluating the thermal resource potential for deep groundwater systems, BHS Third International Conference: Role of hydrology in managing consequences of a changing global environment. Newcastle upon Tyne, British Hydrological Society, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Yuan, Guanghui, Cao, Yingchang, Schulz, Hans-Martin, Hao, Fang, Gluyas, Jon, Liu, Keyu, Yang, Tian, Wang, Yanzhong, Xi, Kelai & Li, Fulai (2019). A review of feldspar alteration and its geological significance in sedimentary basins: From shallow aquifers to deep hydrocarbon reservoirs. Earth-Science Reviews 191: 114-140.
- Yuan, Guanghui, Cao, Yingchang, Zan, Nianmin, Schulz, Hans-Martin, Gluyas, Jon, Hao, Fang, Jin, Qiang, Liu, Keyu, Wang, Yanzhong, Chen, Zhonghong & Jia, Zhenzhen (2019). Coupled mineral alteration and oil degradation in thermal oil-water-feldspar systems and implications for organic-inorganic interactions in hydrocarbon reservoirs. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 248: 61-87.
- Fu, Mei-Yan, Song, Rong-Cai, Jon, Gluyas, Zhang, Shao-Nan & Huang, Qian (2019). Diagenesis and reservoir quality of carbonates rocks and mixed siliciclastic as response of the Late Carboniferous glacio-eustatic fluctuation: A case study of Xiaohaizi Formation in western Tarim Basin. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 177: 1024-1041.
- Luo, Long, Meng, Wanbin, Gluyas, Jon, Tan, Xianfeng, Gao, Xianzhi, Feng, Mingshi, Kong, Xiangye & Shao, Hengbo (2019). Diagenetic characteristics, evolution, controlling factors of diagenetic system and their impacts on reservoir quality in tight deltaic sandstones: Typical example from the Xujiahe Formation in Western Sichuan Foreland Basin, SW China. Marine and Petroleum Geology 103: 231-254.
- Yuan, Guang-Hui, Cao, Ying-Chang, Gluyas, Jon, Wang, Yan-Zhong, Liu, Ke-Yu, Xi, Ke-Lai, Yang, Tian & Wang, Jian (2019). How important is carbonate dissolution in buried sandstones: evidences from petrography, porosity, experiments, and geochemical calculations. Petroleum Science 16(4): 729-751.
- Luo, L., Gao, X., Tan, X., Gluyas, J., Wang, J., Kong, X., Huang, J., Shao, H. & Qu, F. (2019). Paleo-environment and provenance in a lacustrine shallow-water delta-meandering river sedimentary system: insights from the Middle–Upper Jurassic formations of the Fukang Sag of Junggar Basin, NW China. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences
- Tang, Long-Xun, Gluyas, Jon, Jones, Stuart & Bowen, Leon (2018). Diagenetic and geochemical studies of the Buchan Formation (Upper Devonian) in the Central North Sea. Petroleum Science 15(2): 211-229.
- Gluyas, Jon, Thompson, Lee, Allen, Dave, Benton, Charlotte, Chadwick, Paula, Clark, Sam, Klinger, Joel, Kudryavtsev, Vitaly, Lincoln, Darren, Maunder, Ben, Mitchell, Cathryn, Nolan, Sam, Paling, Sean, Spooner, Neil, Staykov, Lazar, Telfer, Sam, Woodward, David & Coleman, Max (2018). Passive, continuous monitoring of carbon dioxide geostorage using muon tomography. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 377(2137): 20180059.
- Tang, Longxun, Gluyas, Jon & Jones, Stuart (2018). Porosity preservation due to grain coating illite/smectite: Evidence from Buchan Formation (Upper Devonian) of the Ardmore Field, UK North Sea. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association 129(2): 202-214.
- Yuan, Guanghui, Cao, Yingchang, Zhang, Yongchao & Gluyas, Jon (2017). Diagenesis and reservoir quality of sandstones with ancient “deep” incursion of meteoric freshwater——An example in the Nanpu Sag, Bohai Bay Basin, East China. Marine and Petroleum Geology 82: 444-464.
- Yuan, Guanghui, Cao, Yingchang, Gluyas, Jon & Jia, Zhenzhen (2017). Reactive transport modeling of coupled feldspar dissolution and secondary mineral precipitation and its implication for diagenetic interaction in sandstones. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 207: 232-255.
- Gee, David, Sowter, Andrew, Novellino, Alessandro, Marsh, Stuart & Gluyas, Jon (2016). Monitoring land motion due to natural gas extraction: Validation of the Intermittent SBAS (ISBAS) DInSAR algorithm over gas fields of North Holland, the Netherlands. Marine and Petroleum Geology 77: 1338-1354.
- Yuan, G., Cao, Y., Gluyas, J.G., Li, X., Xi, K., Wang, Y., Jia, Z., Sun, P. & Oxtoby, N.H. (2015). Feldspar dissolution, authigenic clays and quartz cement in open and closed geochemical systems during diagenesis; Typical examples from two rift sags in Bohai Bay, East China. AAPG Bulletin 99(11): 2121-2154.
- Jiang, X., Hassan, W.A.A. & Gluyas, J.G. (2013). Modelling and monitoring of geological carbon storage: A perspective on cross-validation. Applied Energy 112: 784-792.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., González Martínez de Miguel, G.J., Bryant, S.L. & Wilson, D. (2013). On the importance of relative permeability data for estimating CO2 injectivity in brine aquifers. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 12: 200-212.
- Hedley, B.J., Davies, R.J., Mathias, S.A., Hanstock, D. & Gluyas, J.G. (2013). Uncertainty in static CO2 storage capacity estimates: Case study from the North Sea, UK. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology 3(3): 212-230.
- Younger, P.L., Gluyas, J.G. & Edwards, W.E. (2012). Development of deep geothermal energy resources in the UK. Proceedings of the ICE - Energy 165(1): 19-32.
- Kudryavtsev, V.A., Spooner, N.C., Gluyas, J.G., Fung, C. & Coleman, M.L. (2012). Monitoring subsurface CO2 emplacement and security of storage using muon tomography. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 11: 21-24.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., González Martínez de Miguel, G.J. & Hosseini, S.A. (2011). Role of partial miscibility on pressure buildup due to constant rate injection of CO2 into closed and open brine aquifers. Water Resources Research 47(12): W12525.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., Oldenburg, C.M. & Tsang, C.-F. (2010). Analytical solution for Joule-Thomson cooling during CO2 geosequestration in depleted oil and gas reservoirs. International Journal of Greenhouse gas Control 4(5): 806-810.
- Gluyas, J.G. & Daniel, S.E. (2010). Is Carbon capture and storage really needed? Yes! Chemistry world 41.
- Gluyas, J.G. & Peters, A (2010). Late field-life for oil reservoirs - a hydrological problem. British Hydrological Society
- Younger, P.L., Gluyas, J.G., Cox, M. & Roddy, D. (2010). Underground Coal Gasification. Ingenia 43: 42-46.