Publication details for Prof Simon MathiasMathias, S.A. & Roberts, A.W. (2013). A Lambert W function solution for estimating sustainable injection rates for storage of CO2 in brine aquifers. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 17: 546-548.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1750-5836
- DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2013.04.007
- Keywords: CO2 injection, Geologic carbon sequestration, Pressure buildup, Lambert W function.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
It is often of interest to estimate the maximum possible CO2 injection rate for a given maximum pressure buildup and injection duration scenario. Analytical solutions exist to estimate pressure buildup due to constant rate injection for a specified duration. In this article, it is shown that such solutions can be rearranged for injection rate by virtue of the Lambert W function. It is also shown that the Lambert W function argument is sufficiently small such that a simple asymptotic approximation of the Lambert W function is sufficient in this context.