Staff and Postgraduate Students
Prof Neil Goulty, MA (Oxon), PhD (Cantab)
Indicators of Esteem
- 2016: Norman Falcon Award:
EAGE's Norman Falcon Award for the best paper published in Petroleum Geoscience in 2015: Cicchino, A.M.P., Sargent, C., Goulty N.R. & Ramdhan, A.M. 2015. Regional variation in Cretaceous mudstone compaction trends across Haltenbanken, offshore mid-Norway. Petroleum Geoscience, 21, 17-34. doi: 10.1144/petgeo2014-035
- 2015: EAGE Honorary Membership:
- 2014: Best Paper Overall: Indonesian Petroleum Association 38th Annual Convention: Ramdhan, A.M. & Goulty, N.R. Overpressure in the shelfal area of the Lower Kutai Basin
- 2014: Science Lecturer of the Year: Durham Students Union
Department of Earth Sciences
- Geomechanics: compaction of sediments, overpressure estimation, development of polygonal fault networks, mechanics of igneous intrusions in sedimentary basins, mining subsidence
- Ramdhan, A.M. & Goulty, N.R. (2014), Overpressure in the shelfal area of the Lower Kutai Basin, Proceedings Indonesian Petroleum Association Thirty-Eighth Annual Convention & Exhibition. IPA14-G-357.
- Goulty, N.R., Sargent, C., Andras, P. & Aplin, A.C. (2016). Compaction of diagenetically altered mudstones - Part 1: Mechanical and chemical contributions. Marine and Petroleum Geology 77: 703-713.
- Goulty, N.R. & Sargent, C. (2016). Compaction of diagenetically altered mudstones – Part 2: Implications for pore pressure estimation. Marine and Petroleum Geology 77: 806-818.
- Sargent, C., Goulty, N.R., Cicchino, A.M.P. & Ramdhan, A.M. (2015). Budge-Fudge method of pore pressure estimation from wireline logs with application to Cretaceous mudstones at Haltenbanken. Petroleum Geoscience 21: 219-232.
- Cicchino, A.M.P., Sargent, C., Goulty, N.R. & Ramdhan, A.M. (2015). Regional variation in Cretaceous mudstone compaction trends across Haltenbanken, offshore mid-Norway. Petroleum Geoscience 21(1): 17-34.
- Robertson, J., Goulty, N.R. & Swarbrick, R.E. (2013). Overpressure distributions in Palaeogene reservoirs of the UK Central North Sea and implications for lateral and vertical fluid flow. Petroleum Geoscience 19(3): 223-236.
- Nguyen, B.T.T., Jones, S.J., Goulty, N.R., Middleton, A.J., Grant, N., Ferguson, A. & Bowen, L. (2013). The role of fluid pressure and diagenetic cements for porosoity preservation in Triassic fluvial reservoirs of the Central Graben, North Sea. AAPG Bulletin 97(8): 1273-1302.