We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Disability Support


Funding your study related support

For most UK students it is expected that disability support, which incurs a cost, will be funded through Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs). The following funding body web-pages give information about DSAs and how to apply:

If you do not meet eligibility criteria for DSAs you will not be able to access this funding. However, the University is committed to meeting the cost of any disability-related academic support which you require during your time here. You should make contact with our service as soon as possible, so that we can determine what academic support you will need.

General advice re disability funding

General information on benefits, rights and entitlements for people with disabilities can be found on the Gov.UK website.

If you are a prospective student and currently receive UK disability benefits, such as Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) you must contact Social Services in your local authority area well in advance of leaving home to attend university. This is to ensure an optimal amount of time for your care package to be re-assessed and transferred to the local authority area within which you will be living.



Contact Details

The Palatine Centre
Durham University
Stockton Road