Information for Assessors
Existing support available in the university for disabled students
- Access to personal advice and guidance from a qualified Disability Adviser. Appointments are available on a drop-in basis.
- A personalised Disability Support Notification (DSN) report detailing appropriate reasonable adjustments for the student, which is circulated to relevant staff.
- Access to free counselling support via the university's Counselling Service.
- Access to free Academic Skills Programme courses, including access to free, small group workshops on key topics such as: revision skills, academic reading, etc.
- Pastoral support from the student's chosen College.
- Financial advice from the Student Financial Support Office.
- Support from library staff including assistance in retrieving materials; extended loans; access to an adapted study room; accessing information in alternative formats; accessing the library and personalised familiarisation tours. There is a designated Disability Coordinator at Bill Bryson Library, Durham Campus and the main library at Queen's Campus, Stockton. Further information is available on the library website.
- Access to one-off, complimentary Specialist One-to-One Study Skills appointments when recommended by a Disability Adviser.
- Access to loan equipment (subject to availability) if equipment is unavailable from other sources.
- The university does not have an institutional lecture capture system; therefore students are allowed to make audio recordings of lectures using their own equipment. Permission for recording may be withdrawn in exceptional circumstances, such as where the subject matter includes confidential or sensitive data.
DSA funding will be withdrawn from September 2016 for all Band One/Two roles, except Sighted Guide. Students should be referred to the Disability Support Service for individual evaluation of their particular support needs. Consideration will be given to the Needs Assessment Report and all appropriate diagnostic evidence when identifying appropriate internal support.