Prof Jeroen van Hunen, MSc Geophysics, PhD
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
2017 – present — Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University
- Subduction dynamics
- Dynamics of the early Earth
- Sub-lithospheric small-scale convection
- Plumes and intraplate volcanism
- Interaction between solid Earth and exosphere
- Carbon Capture and Storage
Possible mode of Archaean subduction (after van Hunen and van den Berg, 2008):
Career Research Highlights
Jeroen van Hunen works on various aspects of the interaction between lithospheric plates and the mantle since the mid 90’s. He is recognized for his work on subduction dynamics, from shallow flat subduction to continental collision and slab break-off. One of his main research interests is the dynamics of plate tectonics in the early Earth, on which he recently got awarded an ERC starting grant: the MASE project. Jeroen published over 50 peer-reviewed articles with >1900 citations, and with an h-index of 24 (April 2016). At the moment he is main supervisor of 4 postdoctoral researchers, 3 postgraduate students, and several undergraduate dissertation students. His total research income on grants where he is the lead PI is ~£2.5M.
Committee and Society Service
Conferences and Workshops
2011, 2012, 2013 — EGU General Assembly: co-convenor of 'Subduction zone dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle'.
Departmental Seminar Speaker Invitation (since 2008)
Membership of Organisations and Societies
Recent and Current Grants
Department of Earth Sciences
Earth Structure and Dynamics(30 hours/year.)
- 4th-yr Fieldtrip (120 hours/year.)
- Modelling Earth Processes (45 hours/year.)
- Principles of Earth Sciences (3 hours/year.)
- Tectonics and Deformation Mechanisms (15 hours/year.)
Chapter in book
- van Hunen, Jeroen (2019). Onset and Evolution of Plate Tectonics: Geodynamical Constraints. In Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences. Elsevier.
- Farangitakis, G.P., Sokoutis, D., McCaffrey, K.J.W., Willingshofer, E., Kalnins, L.M., Phethean, J.J.J., van Hunen, J. & van Steen, V. (2019). Analogue modeling of plate rotation effects in transform margins and rift-transform intersections. Tectonics 38(3): 823-841.
- Heron, P.J., Pysklywec, R.N., Stephenson, R. & van Hunen, J. (2019). Deformation driven by deep and distant structures: Influence of a mantle lithosphere suture in the Ouachita orogeny, southeastern United States. Geology 47(2): 147-150.
- Riel, Nicolas, Bouilhol, Pierre, van Hunen, Jeroen, Cornet, Julien, Magni, Valentina, Grigorova, Vili & Velic, Marco (2019). Interaction between mantle-derived magma and lower arc crust: quantitative reactive melt flow modeling using STyx. Geological Society Special Publication 478: 65-87.
- Harmon, Nicholas, Rychert, Catherine, Collier, Jenny, Henstock, Tim, van Hunen, Jeroen & Wilkinson, Jamie J (2019). Mapping geologic features onto subducted slabs. Geophysical Journal International 219(2): 725.
- Maunder, B., van Hunen, J., Bouilhol, P. & Magni, V. (2019). Modeling Slab Temperature: a Reevaluation of the Thermal Parameter. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20(2): 673-687.
- Goes, Saskia, Collier, Jenny, Blundy, Jon, Davidson, Jon, Harmon, Nick, Henstock, Tim, Kendall, J., Macpherson, Colin, Rietbrock, Andreas, Rychert, Kate, Prytulak, Julie, van Hunen, Jeroen, Wilkinson, Jamie & Wilson, Marjorie (2019). Project VoiLA: Volatile Recycling in the Lesser Antilles. Eos 100.
- Heron, PJ, Peace, AL McCaffrey, K , Welford, JK Wilson, R, van Hunen, J & Pysklywec, RN (2019). Segmentation of rifts through structural inheritance: Creation of the Davis Strait. Tectonics 38(7): 2411-2430.
- Allen, R.W., Collier, J.S., Stewart, A.G., Henstock, T., Goes, S., Rietbrock, A. & Voila Team (2019). The role of arc migration in the development of the Lesser Antilles: A new tectonic model for the Cenozoic evolution of the eastern Caribbean. Geology 47(9): 891.