(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
My current research compares the history of prostitution in Paris and London during the eigheenth century. While I aim to further understand the nature of urban prostitution during this period, I am also concerned with the ways in which sex workers were perceived as indicators of other, larger urban anxieties and problems. To this aim, I hope to map, both conceptually and geographically, the landscape of prostitution within the two capital cities. Using a combination of sources that span from criminal and medical records to pornography and pamphlet literature, this project will attempt to offer a more nuanced account of prostitution and its effect on the urban social climate.
- Concepts of urban disorder in early modern Europe
- Eighteenth-century notions of crime
- History of sexual deviance
- Early Modern England: A Social History (18 hours/year.)
- Society and Culture in Early Modern France (2016-17) (6 hours/year.)