Dr Behzad Kazemtabrizi, SMIEEE MIET
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
I received my PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering emphasising on Power Systems from the University of Glasgow in 2011. Shortly after I joined the School of Engineering and Computer Science at Durham University where I worked as a Post Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA) from February 2012 till September 2013. I have been with the Department of Engineering (formerly School of Engineering and Computer Science) at Durham University first as an Assistant Professor between September 2013 - July 2020 and as an Associate Professor since July 2020.
My principal research interests are in advanced electrical power systems modelling, analysis, simulation and optimisation for improving performance and reliability of future flexible power systems.
I have in the past looked at problems that encompass reliability of large-scale offshore wind farms (e.g. UK round 3 developments) where I have focused on efficient and reliable grid integration of the wind farm to the grid. The research covers a wide variety of subjects, from developing tools for evaluating effects of large scale wind power in system adequacy (ability to meet demand), cost-benefit analysis of deploying alternative offshore connections, and integration of energy storage for maintaining performance standards within the whole power network.
I have lately been working on flexible power systems especially hybrid AC/DC networks with an outlook of planning and optimising the operation of such systems. In this context, I am interested at looking at operational aspects in which the controllability and reliability of the system is improved by employing flexible power flow control. This research area focuses on both large-scale integration of HVDC systems within existing AC transmission systems as well as integration of AC/DC networks in distribution networks.
I have used a variety of computational packages over the years including MATLAB based MATPOWER power systems simulation package, PSCAD/EMTDC for dynamic simulations in power systems, and general- purpose model-based language packages such as AIMMS for optimisation problems.
I am interested in hearing from prospective PhD students who may be intersted in pursuing a research career into advanced topics of power systems operation and reliability. I am also interested in students in relevant areas of mathematics and physics, particularly data sciences, and statistics who are looking for applied problems in future energy/power systems.
Department of Engineering
- Advanced Power Systems Modelling
- Decision Making under Uncertainty
- Flexibility and Resiliency in Future Power Systems
- Power Electronics (FACTS/HVDC)
- Reliability Evaluation of Power Systems
- Optimal Power Flows
- Renewable Energy Integration (Wind Power)
- Power System Dynamics
- Acha, E., Roncero-Sánchez, P., de la Villa Jaén, A., Castro, L. M. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2019). VSC-FACTS-HVDC: Modelling, Analysis and Simulation in Power Grids. Wiley.
Chapter in book
- Hogg, S. I., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Williams, R. (2017). Assessment of operation and maintenance strategies. In UK Wind Energy Technologies. Hogg, S. I. & Crabtree, C. J. Routledge. 259-282.
- Thomas, Huw, Sun, Hongjian & Kazemtabrizi, Behzad (2021). Closest Energy Matching: Improving peer‐to‐peer energy trading auctions for EV owners. IET Smart Grid 1 - 16.
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad, Crabtree, Christopher J. & Tavner, Peter J. (2021). Integrated condition-based maintenance modelling and optimisation for offshore wind farms. Wind Energy
- Alvarez-Bustos, Abraham, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad, Shahbazi, Mahmoud & Acha, Enrique (2021). Universal Branch Model for the Solution of Optimal Power Flows in Hybrid AC/DC Grids. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems 126(Part A): 106543.
- Bains, Henna, Madariaga, Ander, Troffaes, Matthias C. M. & Kazemtabrizi, Behzad (2020). An Economic Model for Offshore Transmission Asset Planning Under Severe Uncertainty. Renewable Energy 160: 1174-1184.
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2020). Offshore Wind Turbine Reliability and Operational Simulation under Uncertainties. Wind Energy 23(10): 1919-1938.
- Renedo, J., Ibrahim, A. A., Kazemtabrizi, B., Garcia-Cerrada, A., Rouco, L., Zhao, Q. & Garcia-Gonzalez, J. (2019). A simplified algorithm to solve optimal power flows in hybrid VSC-based AC/DC systems. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems 110: 781-794.
- Ahmad, Tanvir, Basit, Abdul, Ahsan, Muneeb, Coupiac, Olivier, Girard, Nicolas, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Matthews, Peter (2019). Implementation and Analyses of Yaw Based Coordinated Control of Wind Farms. Energies 12(7): 1266.
- Asrul Ibrahim, Ahmad, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Renedo, Javier (2019). Security-constrained day-ahead operational planning for flexible hybrid AC/DC distribution networks. Applied Sciences 9(21): 4685.
- Zhang, Y., Meng, F., Wang, R., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Shi, J. (2019). Uncertainty-resistant Stochastic MPC Approach for Optimal Operation of CHP Microgrid. Energy 179: 1265-1278.
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2019). Wind Turbine Reliability Data Review and Impacts on Levelised Cost of Energy. Wind Energy 22(12): 1848-1871.
- Ahmad, T., Coupliac, O., Petit, A., Guignard, S., Girard, N., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Matthews, P. (2018). Field Implementation and Trial of Coordinated Control of Wind Farms. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 9(3): 1169-1176.
- Kazemtabrizi, B & Acha, E (2014). An Advanced STATCOM Model for Optimal Power Flows Using Newton's Method. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 29(2): 514-525
- Acha, E. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2013). A New STATCOM Model for Power Flows Using the Newton–Raphson Method. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 28(3): 2455-2465.
- Cruz Victorio, M. E., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Shahbazi, M. (2020), Distributed Real-Time Power Management in Microgrids using Multi-agent Control with Provisions of Fault Tolerance, 29th IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics. Delft, Netherlands, IEEE, 108-113.
- Li, Xiangyu, Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2020), Optimisation of Large Offshore Wind Farm Layout Considering Reliability and Wake Effect, 12: ASME Turbo Expo 2020. London, ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers).
- Cruz Victorio, M. E., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Shahbazi, M. (2019), Decentralised Real-time Optimisation of Power Management in Microgrids Using Multi-Agent Control, 9th International Conference on Power and Energy Systems. Perth, Australia, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 1-6.
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2019), Impacts of Reliability on Operational Performance and Cost of Energy Evaluation of Multimegawatt, Far-offshore Wind Turbines, Volume 3: Structures, Safety, and Reliability: ASME 38th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore & Arctic Engineering (OMAE) 2019. Glasgow, UK, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Thompson, A., Kazemtabrizi, B., Crabtree, C. J., Dao, C., Dinmohamdi, F. & Flynn, D. (2019), Reliability and Economic Evaluation of High Voltage Direct Current interconnectors for large-scale renewable energy integration and transmission, 15th IET International conference on AC and DC Power Transmission. Coventry, UK, IET.
- Bains, Henna, Madariaga, Ander, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Troffaes, Matthias C. M. (2019), The Impact of Offshore Transmission Regulatory Regimes on Technology Choices, CIGRE Symposium. Aalborg.
- Cervantes, C. J. F., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Troffaes, M. C. M. (2018), Contingency Ranking in Power Systems via Reliability Rates, 18th IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering. Palermo, Italy, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ.
- Bustos, A. A. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2018), Flexible General Branch Model Unified Power Flow Algorithm for Future Flexible AC/DC Networks, 18th IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering. Palermo, Italy, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ.
- Meng, F., Kazemtabrizi, B., Zeng, X. J. & Dent, C. (2017), An Optimal Differential Pricing in Smart Grid Based on Customer Segmentation, ISGT Europe 2017. Torino, Italy, IEEE, Piscataway, 1-6.
- Ibrahim, A. A., Kazemtabrizi, B., Bordin, C., Dent, C., McTigue, J. & White, A. (2017), Pumped Thermal Electricity Storage for Active Distribution Network Applications, 2017 12th IEEE PES Powertech Conference. Manchester, England, IEEE, Piscataway.
- Heylen, Evelyn, Deconinck, Geert, Van Hertem, Dirk, Troffaes, Matthias C. M. & Kazemtabrizi, Behzad (2017), Qualitative comparison of techniques for evaluating performance of short term power system reliability management, 2017 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe (ISGT-Europe). Torino, Italy, IEEE, Piscataway, 333-339.
- Chappa, H. K., Thakur, T. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2016), A new voltage instability detection index based on real-time synchronophasor measurements, 2016 IEEE 16th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC). Florence, Italy, IEEE, 1-5.
- Shahbazi, M., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Dent, C. (2016), Coordinated Control of DC Voltage Magnitudes and State of Charges in a Cluster of DC Microgrids, IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies. Ljubljana, Slovenia, IEEE.
- Ibrahim, A. A., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Dent, C. (2016), Operational Planning and Optimisation in Active Distribution Networks using Modern Intelligent Power Flow Controllers, IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies. Ljubljana, Slovenia, IEEE.
- Kazemtabrizi, B. & Hogg, S. (2014), A New Simulation and Control Model for a Variable Speed Variable Pitch Direct Drive Large Offshore Wind Turbine Generator With Integrated Energy Storage, 3B: ASME Turbo Expo 2014. Dusseldorf, Germany, ASME, DÃ¼sseldorf, V03BT46A013.
- Kazemtabrizi, B., Crabtree, C.J. & Hogg, S.I. (2013), Reliability Evaluation of New Offshore Wind Farm Electrical Grid Connection Topologies, 8: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. San Antonio, USA, ASME, New York, V008T44A008.
- Kazemtabrizi, B. & Acha, E. (2012), A comparison study between mathematical models of Static VAR Compensators aimed at optimal power flow solutions, 2012 16th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference. 1125 - 1128.
- Bains, Henna, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad, Madariaga, Ander & Troffaes, Matthias C. M. (2019), Using interval dominance and Gamma-maximin for decision making in offshore power transmission, ISIPTA 2019: the 11th international symposium on imprecise probabilities ISIPTA'19. Ghent
- Mr Abraham Alvarez-bustos
- Mr Carlos Ferrandon-cervantes
- Miss Henna Bains
- Mr Marcos Eduardo Cruz Victorio
- Mr Huw Thomas
- 2020: Testing Voltage Levels In Legacy Appliances (£34569.00 from )
- 2017: Holistic Operation and Maintenance for Energy from Offshore Wind Farms (£311164.00 from )
- 2017: Novel Power System Planning Techniques To Support Decisions On Offshore Transmission Assets Taken Under Severe Uncertainties Supported By Probability Bounding Method (£43374.00 from Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult)