Dr Ronán Feehily
Dr Ronán Feehily is Honorary Fellow of Commercial Law at Durham University. He originally joined Durham Law School as a Lecturer in Commercial law, lecturing Trusts and Equity to LLB students and International Commercial Dispute Resolution to LLM students as well as serving as Deputy Chair of the LLM Board of Examiners and Admissions Officer for the LLM programme. He previously lectured at a number of institutions and practiced as a commercial lawyer with a large commercial law firm and as in-house legal counsel with a global technology company.
Dr Feehily completed degrees in commerce and law at the National University of Ireland, Galway, a postgraduate diploma in arbitration at University College Dublin, a Masters degree in law at Trinity College Dublin and a postgraduate certificate in academic practice at Durham University. He also completed a Masters in Business Administration at the Graduate Business School, University College Dublin following the completion of his PhD in commercial law at the University of Cape Town.
Dr Feehily is a qualified solicitor in Ireland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales and is a CEDR Accredited Mediator. He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. In addition to lecturing on the International Commercial Dispute Resolution LLB and LLM modules, Dr Feehily is Senior Lecturer in Commercial Law at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
Dr Feehily's research interests are primarily in the commercial field, focusing in particular on international commercial dispute resolution. He has published widely in international peer-reviewed law journals in South Africa, the USA, the UK and Ireland. Additional research interests include corporate governance, international trade and legal education.
- International Commercial Dispute Resolution (LLB)
- International Commercial Dispute Resolution (LLM)
- Ronán Feehily & Jonathan Bruneau, ‘The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership: A threat to the international trading system or the panacea for the economic predicaments faced by the EU and the USA?’, Connecticut Journal of International Law, Volume 32, Fall 2017, (accepted for publication, awaiting page reference).
- Ronán Feehily & Avinash Poorooye, ‘Confidentiality and Transparency in International Commercial Arbitration: Finding the Right Balance’, Harvard Negotiation Law Review (Volume 22, Spring Issue, 2017, 275-323).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Learning to Think Like a Lawyer’, Journal of Education (accepted for publication, awaiting page reference).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Problem Based Learning and International Commercial Dispute Resolution in the Indian Ocean’, International Journal of Legal Education (published online, 31 January 2017, DOI: 10.1080/03069400.2016.1273457).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘The Role of the Lawyer in the Mediation Process; A Critical Analysis of the Legal and Regulatory Issues’, South African Law Journal (Volume 133, Issue 2, 2016, pp 351-387).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Commercial Mediation Agreements and Enforcement in South Africa’, Comparative and International Law Journal of Southern Africa (Volume 49, Issue 2, 2016, pp 305-352).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘The Certainty of Settlement’, Stellenbosch Law Review (Volume 27, Issue 1, 2016, pp 25-58).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘The Contractual Certainty of Commercial Agreements to Mediate in Ireland’, Irish Journal of Legal Studies (Volume 6, Issue 1, 2016, pp 59-105).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Confidentiality in Commercial Mediation; A Fine Balance’, Part II, Journal of South African Law/Tydskrif vir die Suid-Afrikaanse Reg (Issue 4, 2015, pp 719-737).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Confidentiality in Commercial Mediation; A Fine Balance’, Part I, Journal of South African Law/Tydskrif vir die Suid-Afrikaanse Reg (Issue 3, 2015, pp 516-536).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Commercial Mediation: Commercial Conflict Panacea or an Affront to Due Process and the Justice Ideal’, Comparative and International Law Journal of Southern Africa (Volume 48, Issue 2, 2015, pp 317-357).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘The Role of the Commercial Mediator in the Mediation Process; A Critical Analysis of the Legal and Regulatory Issues’, South African Law Journal (Volume 132, Issue 2, 2015, pp 372-410).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘The Legal Status and Enforceability of Mediated Settlement Agreements’, Hibernian Law Journal (Volume 12, Number 1, 2013, pp. 1-26).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Costs Sanctions; the Critical Instrument in the Development of Commercial Mediation in South Africa’, South African Law Journal (Volume 126, Issue 2, 2009, pp. 291-315).
- Ronán Feehily, ‘The Compulsion to Mediate; Commercial Conflict Panacea or an Unjust Response to Systemic Pressures and Court Backlogs’, Fairness in Law-Making Conference, Queens University Belfast, UK, 19 May 2017.
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Preparing Law Students to Make Judgements in a Context of Uncertainty’, Association of Law Teachers Annual Conference, University of Portsmouth, UK, 10-11 April 2017.
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Balancing Corporate Activity with Conflicting Corporate Governance Stakeholder Interests’, Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference, Newcastle University, UK, 5-7 April 2017.
- Ronán Feehily, ‘Bridging the Academic/Vocational Divide in Legal Education’, Teaching and Learning Conference, St. Aidan’s College, Durham University, UK, 13 September 2016.
- Ronán Feehily, ‘The Public Policy Drive in Europe Towards Settlement and the Implications that the Consequent Emerging EU Jurisprudence has for Disputing Commercial Parties in Accessing Courts’, Jean Monnet EU Law Conference, Port Louis, Mauritius, 18-19 July 2016.
- Ronán Feehily ‘The Integration of Problem Based Learning into Undergraduate and Postgraduate Law Modules on International Commercial Dispute Resolution’, Research in Education Conference, Middlesex University, Mauritius, 20 July 2015.