Dr Charidimos Koutris
I was born in Thessaloniki, Greece, where I got my BA in Theology at the School of Theology, Faculty of Theology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH). At the same institution I also got my MA with "Excellent" in Systematic, Dogmatic and Symbolic Theology.
At Durham University, I got my PhD in Theology and Religion in the field of Dogmatic and Symbolic Theology, and the History of Doctrines at the Department of Theology and Religion of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities.
I speak English, Greek, Spanish, French and German, and I have been publishing academic books and articles in English and in Greek.
I have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in the UK and in Greece, with 25 years of teaching experience in academic and non-academic environments.
My experience in the Department of Theology and Religion includes working as:
- the Programme Assistant of the MA in Spirituality, Theology & Health, which won an honorable mention in the Expanded Reason Awards (Universidad Francisco de Vitoria and Joseph Ratzinger-Benedict XVI Vatican Foundation);
- a Teaching Assistant (a role for which I was awarded with the First Teaching Excellence Award) in several modules, and mainly the:
- a Teaching Assistant Representative in departmental and university meetings and committees;
- a Research Assistant to Prof. Chris Cook, Dr Krastu Banev, Prof. Gerard Loughlin, and Revd Dr Roger Walton;
- an Impact Research Assistant for the Research Excellence Framework 2021 (REF 2021); and
- the Web Manager of the department.
At Durham University, I have also worked:
- for the Project for the Spirituality, Theology & Health (PSTH)
- for the Centre for the Spirituality, Theology & Health (CSTH),
- at the Spirituality, Theology and Health seminars (STH),
- for the Centre for Catholic Studies (CCS),
- for the School of Modern Languages and Cultures (MLAC), and
- as an Invigilator in the university's and departmental Examinations and Assessments.
While nationally and internationally I have collaborated with:
- the British Association for the Study of Spirituality (BASS), and
- the World Psychiatric Association (WPA).
In Greece, I have co-founded the Postgraduate Students Association of the School of Theology, Faculty of Theology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH).
Awards & Nominations
- First Teaching Excellence Award for the Most Outstanding Contribution from a Postgraduate Teacher in the Department of Theology and Religion, Durham University;
- Student Employee Of The Year (SEOTY) of Durham University in the category “On Campus - Above And Beyond” nomination;
- Award by the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America;
- Harold Buxton Grant by the Nikaean Ecumenical Trust of the Church of England;
- Postgraduate Scholarship by the Church of Greece;
- Rainbow Funding from the Department of Theology and Religion of the Durham University; and
- Travel Award by the Ustinov College of the Durham University.
- Dogmatic Theology
- Early Christian Doctrine
- Eastern Orthodox theology
- Ecumenical Councils
- Evolutionary Theology
- Free Will / Autexousion (αὐτεξούσιον [afteksúsion])
- God and Evil
- History of Christianity
- History of Doctrines
- John of Damascus
- Spirituality, Theology and Health
- Symbolic Theology
- Systematic Theology
- Koutris, Charidimos (2020). The Notion of Free Will (αὐτεξούσιον [afteksúsion]) in the works of saint John of Damascus. Armos.
- Koutris, Charidimos (2020). The Presence and Authority of the Gospel-Book in the fifth-century Church Councils.
- Koutris, Charidimos (2021). On Infallibility: a study on the creation and evolution of the term within the limits of Christianity, with a particular reference on its interpretive understanding and use in the Eastern Orthodox Church. Theologia 92(4).
- Koutris, Charidimos (2020). "Study, therefore, to be established in the doctrines of the Lord and the apostles, so that all the things you do may prosper in flesh and spirit, in faith and love": introductory comments on doctrine. Symbol-e 9(2).
- Koutris, Charidimos (2020). Athanasius of Alexandria and the authority of Nicaea I: The Language of the 'De Decretis'. Orizonturi Teologice 2020(2): 133-159.
- Koutris, Charidimos (2020). The Authority of the Council of Nicaea according to Athanasius of Alexandria.
- Koutris, Charidimos (2020). The Notion of Creation in the works of saint John of Damascus. Synthesis
- Koutris, Charidimos (2020). The Ontology of Man in the works of saint John of Damascus. Synthesis
- Koutris, Charidimos (2017). The Presence & Authority of the Gospel-Book in the fifth-century Church Councils. PhD.
- Koutris, Charidimos (trans.) (2008). Global Covenant: The Social Democratic Alternative to the Washington Consensus (by David Held) . Epikentro
- Koutris, Charidimos (trans.) (2007). Political Ideologies (by Andrew Heywood) . Epikentro