Prof Jon Gluyas, BSc (Hons), PhD
2011 – present — Head of Department, member of Senate
2010 – 2011 — Director, CeREES
2009 – present — Professor of Geoenergy, Carbon Capture and Storage
2009 – present — ERC Equipoise Ltd., Non-executive Director
2005 – 2009 — Fairfield Energy Ltd., Founder and Head of Business Development/Head of Geoscience
2001 – 2005 — Acorn Oil & Gas, Founder and Geoscience director
1996 – 2001 — Oil industry, independent sector.
1981 – 1996 — BP Exploration
1978 – 1981 — PhD, University of Liverpool
Career Research Highlights
Diagenesis occurs in short, sharp episodes wich may last only a few million years or less. This was deemed heresy when first we proposed the mechnisms in the late 1980s. Conventional and now proven erroneous wisdom indicted that diagenesis was geologically slow, perhaps taking 10s or even 100s of millions of years. Our once controversial ideas have been tested many times and have stood up to scrutiny. This work was carried out while working for BP Research.
A major piece of my oil industry career was dedicated to the redevelopment of abandoned oilfields. This required detailed research and investigation of those fields and decisions on which could be profitably redeveloped. A highlight from this research was the redevelopment of the Argyll Field in the North Sea. Abandoned at 6000 barrels of oil per day and 14,000 barrels of associated water from four production wells. We redeveloped the field and it flowed at 20,000 barrels of dry oil per day.
A return to research at Durham University in 2009 has allowed me to develop dormant research ideas, the first of which are now delivering outcomes and impact.
Committee and Society Service
2012 – present — Remuneration Committee; The Geological Society of London
2012 – present — Awards Committee; The Geological Society of London
2011 – 2011 — Chairman; EPSRC/NERC/TSB/DECC UK CCS Research Centre Development Board
2010 – 2012 — President; Earth Science Teachers Association
2010 – 2011 — Chairman of the Board; British Geological Survey
2010 — Advisory board; National Grid Carbon
2009 – 2009 — President; Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain
2003 – 2007 — Council; The Geological Society of London
2000 – 2006 — Publications Committee; The Geological Society of London
Conferences and Workshops
Chair of organising committee – Late Field Life reservoirs Geological Society London, 2014
Co-convenor Himalaya confeerence Ladakh India 2014
Chair of organizing committee - The Geological Society of London/American Association of Petroleum Geologists Conference on Carbon Capture and Storage; 2011
Chairman and organiser - Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain PETEX; 2010
Co-convenor - The Geological Society of London Petroleum Group Meeting; 2009
Chairman and organiser - Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain 'Prospex' conference; 2009
Convenor: 'Better Recovery' theme - The Geological Society of London Petroleum Group Meeting; 2008
Chairman and organiser - Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain 'Prospex' conference; 2008
1997 – 2006 — Associate Editor, Terra Nova
2006 – 2011 — Editor, Petroleum Geoscience
"Deep Basinal Pore Fluids – An Underused Resource?" - The Geological Society of London Water Futures Meeting, 2012
"The king is dead, long live the king" - Durham University/Newcastle University Next Generation Coal Conference, 2012
"Carbon Storage – the subsurface how, where and now – How to choose a subsurface storage site for carbon dioxide" - Society of Petroleum Engineers Aberdeen Section, 2011
"An Overview of Current Research Activity in Carbon Storage at the University of Durham UK" - CATO Research meeting , 2011
"Industrial and academic collaboration, the key to a clean future from geoenergy " - Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain PETEX Conference, 2010
Membership of Organisations and Societies
1978 – present — Fellow, The Geological Society of London
1995 – present — Member, Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain
2003 – present — Member, All-Party Parliamentary Group for Earth Sciences
Prizes and Awards
2000 — Aberconway Medal - The Geological Society of London
Department of Earth Sciences
- Climate and Environmental Change
- Geoenergy, Resources and Waste
Durham Energy Institute
- Energy Policy Group
- Sediment Diagenesis and Reservoir Quality Prediction
- Petroleum Production Geosciences
- Carbon Capture and Geostorage
- Geothermal Energy
- Gluyas, J. (2012). Chapter 8. In The Technical and Legal Guide to Global Hydrocarbons Volume 1. Neilson, E.C. & Wills, J. Aberlour Press, Aberdeen. 327-424.
Journal papers: academic
- Jiang, X., Hassan, W.A.A. & Gluyas, J.G. (2013). Modelling and monitoring of geological carbon storage: A perspective on cross-validation. Applied Energy 112: 784-792.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., González Martínez de Miguel, G.J., Bryant, S.L. & Wilson, D. (2013). On the importance of relative permeability data for estimating CO2 injectivity in brine aquifers. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 12: 200-212.
- Hedley, B.J., Davies, R.J., Mathias, S.A., Hanstock, D. & Gluyas, J.G. (2013). Uncertainty in static CO2 storage capacity estimates: Case study from the North Sea, UK. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology 3(3): 212-230.
- Kudryavtsev, V.A., Spooner, N.C., Gluyas, J.G., Fung, C. & Coleman, M.L. (2012). Monitoring subsurface CO2 emplacement and security of storage using muon tomography. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 11: 21-24.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., Oldenburg, C.M. & Tsang, C.-F. (2010). Analytical solution for Joule-Thomson cooling during CO2 geosequestration in depleted oil and gas reservoirs. International Journal of Greenhouse gas Control 4(5): 806-810.
- Gluyas, J.G. & Daniel, S.E. (2010). Is Carbon capture and storage really needed? Yes! Chemistry world 41.
- Gluyas, J.G. & Peters, A (2010). Late field-life for oil reservoirs - a hydrological problem. British Hydrological Society
- Younger, P.L., Gluyas, J.G., Cox, M. & Roddy, D. (2010). Underground Coal Gasification. Ingenia 43: 42-46.
Journal papers: professional
- Younger, P.L., Gluyas, J.G. & Edwards,W.E. (Published). Development of deep geothermal energy resources in the UK. Proceedings of the ICE - Energy
- Wilkinson, M., Haszeldine, R.S., Hosa, A., Stewart, R.J., Holloway, S., Bentham, M., Smith, K., Swarbrick, R.E., Jenkins, S., Gluyas, J.G., Balbinski, E., Mackay, E., Smith, G., Daniels, S.E. & Anderson, D. (Published), Defining simple and comprehensive assessment units for CO2 storage in saline formations beneath the UK North Sea and continental shelf, Internation Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control (GHGT-10). Amsterdam, Netherlands, Elsevier.
- Hirst, C.M., Gluyas, J.G & Mathias, S.A. (2013), Late Field Life of the East Midlands Petroleum Province - A New Geothermal Prospect?, Sustainable earth sciences 2013 proceedings.
- Adams, C.A., Gluyas, J.G. & Mathias, S.A. (2010), Application of Hydrogeological parameters for evaluating the thermal resource potential for deep groundwater systems, BHS Third International Conference: Role of hydrology in managing consequences of a changing global environment. Newcastle upon Tyne, British Hydrological Society, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Mr Leo Newport
- Miss Catherine Hirst
- Mr Salim Goudarzi
- Miss Diveena Danabalan
- Mr Rikan Kareem
- Mr Mark Brodie
- Mr Andrew Dobrzanski
- Miss Nancy Muriungi
- Miss Loraine Pastoriza
- Mr Longxun Tang
- Mr Ayodeji Jayeoba
- Mr Sean O'Neill
- Mr Jack Hardwick
- Miss Nadia Narayan
- Miss Helena Kelly
- Miss Sarah Clancy
- Miss Chimaobi Nwachukwu