Dr Binghan Zheng, BA, MPhil, PhD (NTU), PGCE, FHEA
Before taking up the Lecturer position in Durham, I worked as a Teaching Fellow in the Division of Chinese, Nanyang Technological University. My research focuses on contemporary translation theories, cognitive linguistics and teaching Chinese as a foreign language. I am the author of Choice-making in the process of English-to-Chinese translation: An empirical study, which is regarded as a breakthrough in process-oriented translation research in China. I am also one of the major contributors for A Dictionary of Translation Studies in China published by Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press in 2011.
Currently I am supervising doctoral students working on eye-tracking based studies on translation revision, self-translation and translation ethics, literary translation in Hong Kong, and cognitive explorations of translation directionality. I also supervise a dozen of MA students in English-Chinese translation every academic year. I am able to and interested in supervising PhD researchers interested in empirical translation and interpreting studies, and in teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
I am actively promoting Chinese language teaching in Britain, acting as the Chair of the British Chinese Language Teaching Society (BCLTS) which is an organization of Chinese language teachers in British universities. I am also directing the Centre for Intercultural Mediation of Durham University, and acting as the convenor of the Translation and Linguistics research group based on the School of Modern Languages and Cultures.
School of Modern Languages and Cultures
- Translation/Linguistics/Pedagogy - Co-Convenor
- Empirical Translation Studies
- Contemporary Translation Theories
- Neuroscience of Translation and Interpreting
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Contrastive Studies between Chinese & English
- Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
MELA40160: Translation Studies Dissertation [MA Module]
MELA40260: Extended Translation Project
- MELA40430:Translation Theory (4 hours/year.)
- MELA41730: Specialized Translation [English<>Chinese, MA Module]
- Zheng, Binghan (2012). Choice-making in the Process of English-Chinese Translation: An Empirical Study. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
Chapter in book
- Zheng, Binghan & Xiang, Xia (2017). The Psycholinguistics of Chinese Translation. In Routledge Handbook of Chinese Translation. Shei, C. & Gao, Z. London and New York: Routledge. 291-306.
- Xiang,Xia & Zheng, Binghan (2014). Revisiting the Function of Background Information in Sight Translating Metaphor: An Analysis of Translation Product and Process. In Metaphor and Intercultural Communication. Musolff, A., MacArthur, F. & Pagani, G. Bloomsbury Academic. 53-72.
- Zheng, Binghan (2014). Towards Students’ Learning Activities in an MA Translation Module: An Interview-based Study. In Innovation and Consolidation in Learning and Teaching Chinese-- Applied Chinese Language Studies V. Li, Linda Mingfang & Xing, Minjie London: Sinolingua London Ltd. 223-236.
- Zheng, Binghan (2007). The Cognition and English-Chinese Translation on Metaphorical Sentences. In Multi-Perspectives on Language Study. Tham, Wai Mun Singapore: NTU Center for Chinese Language & Culture and Global Publishing. 151-166.
- Zheng, Binghan & Guo, Zhiyan (2016). Acquisition, Assessment and Application: Theory and Practice of Teaching Chinese in Higher Education. Applied Chinese Language Studies. Sinolingua London Ltd.
- Guo,Zhiyan & Zheng,Binghan (2015). Recent Developments of Chinese Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Applied Chinese Language Studies. Sinolingua London Ltd.
- Zheng, Binghan & Xiang, Xia (2018). Between Invisibility and Over-visibility: Self-perception and User Expectations of Liaison Interpreters in Business Settings. Babel 64(1).
- Zheng, Binghan & Xie, Mingqing (2018). The Effect of Explanatory Captions on the Reception of Foreign Audiovisual Products: A Study Drawing on Eyetracking Data and Retrospective Interviews. Translation, Cognition & Behavior 1(1): 119-146.
- Tyulenev, S., Zheng, B. & Johnson, P. (2017). A Comparative Study of Translation/ Interpreting as a Profession in Russia, China and Spain. Translation and Interpreting Studies 12(2): 332-354.
- Pan, Feng & Zheng, Binghan (2017). Gender Difference of Hedging in Interpreting for Chinese Government Press Conferences: A Corpus-based Study. Across Languages and Cultures 18(2): 171-193.
- Tyulenev, S. & Zheng, B. (2017). Introduction: Towards the Comparative Studies of Translation and Interpreting. Translation and Interpreting Studies 12(2): 197-212.
- Luo, Wenyan & Zheng, Binghan (2017). Visiting elements thought to be “inactive” non-human actors in Arthur Waley’s translation of Journey to the West. Asia Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies 1.
- Xiao, Di & Zheng, Binghan (2015). Reconstructing a Narrative, Reinterpreting a History: A Case Study of Translating Big Breasts and Wide Hips. Asia Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies 2(3): 155-173.
- Xiang, Xia & Zheng, Binghan (2015). Restricted creation: A questionnaire-based study on perceptions of subjectivity and ethics of business liaison interpreters. Journal of Foreign Languages (5): 88-99.
- Xiang, X. & Zheng, B. (2015). The impact of background information on the translation quality of metaphorical expressions: An analysis of products of English-Chinese sight translation. Foreign Languages and Their Teaching 1: 69-80.
- Zheng,Binghan & Xiang, Xia (2014). The impact of cultural background knowledge in the processing of metaphorical expressions: An empirical study of English-Chinese sight translation. Translation and Interpreting Studies 9(1): 5-24.
- Zheng, Binghan (2014). The role of consultation sources revisited: an empirical study of English–Chinese translation. Perspectives: studies in translatology 22(1): 113-135.
- Zheng, Binghan & Xia, Xiang (2013). Processing metaphorical expressions in sight translation: an empirical-experimental research. Babel 59(2): 160-183.
- Xiang, Xia & Zheng, Binghan (2011). Understanding and reformulating metaphors: An empirical study on English-Chinese sight translation. Foreign Language Teaching and Research 43(3): 422-436.
- Zheng, Binghan (2008). The Triangulation Module in Process-oriented Translation Studies. Shanghai Journal of Translators for Science and Technology (3): 36-41.
- Zheng, Binghan & Mun, Tham Wai (2007). An Empirical Study of Translation Units in English-Chinese Translating. Foreign Language Teaching and Research 39(2): 145-154.
- Zheng, Binghan & Chen, Yao (2006). Boke or Buluoge: On Translation of "Blog". Shanghai Journal of Translators 3: 78-79.
- Zheng, Binghan (2006). Translog: An Assistant Program in Process-oriented Translation Studies. Chinese Science & Technology Translators Journal 4: 20-24.
- Tyulenev, Sergey & Zheng, Binghan (2017). Toward a Comparative Translation and Interpreting Studies. Translation and Interpreting Studies, 12 (2): John Benjamins.
Edited Sources, Research Data Sets, and Databases
- Fang, M, et al. & Zheng, B. (2011). A Dictionary of Translation Studies in China. Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press.
Available for media contact about:
- Linguistics & Language: Mandarin teaching and acquisition
- Language, Literature & the Arts:
- Foreign Literature & Language:
- Linguistics & Language: