Mr Albert Potts
Initially studying Sports Science at undergraduate level and undertaking two years as a postgraduate researcher (Exercise Physiology) Albert then moved into a teaching career following the completion of a PGCE in Mathematics. Subsequently he returned to higher education obtaining a M.Med.Sci in Sport and Exercise Science in 1992. Following five years with the University of Sunderland Albert joined the University of Durham in 1997
Albert graduated as a Sport Scientist in 1985. Since then he has gone on to develop a strong academic background, working with students across a range of age groups and academic abilities. Principally working in the Higher Education sector Albert is also a qualified Mathematics teacher.
In the Higher Education sector Albert has led Sport Degree programmes and curriculum development at both Durham University and the University of Sunderland. Within these roles he has undertaken significant management duties including Chair of Board of Examiners, Admissions Tutor and Examinations Secretary. Albert is currently working for Team Durham, the performance sport arm of Durham University, where his principal responsibility involves the recruitment of elite athletes to the University.
Albert’s sport of choice is Golf where he has been able to make significant contributions to both his local community and also to the development of excellence in talented players. A Category 1 golfer himself, Albert has been Captain at his own golf club and he has a number of years experience as a member and Chairman of various club committees.
Department of Sociology
- Development of an Administrator led Interview Technique for the Assessment of Physical Activity Levels in Children
- Evaluation and enhancement of performance in golf
- Applied Sport Science with specific relation to enhancing sport performance
- BA Sport programme: Structural and Functional Musculoskeletal Anatomy
Chapter in book
- Potts, A.D. & Hollingsworth, A.P. (2003). Bowling Injuries to the Thorax: An overlooked issues in English first class county cricket. In Science and Medicine in Cricket A collection of papers from the second world congress of science and medicine in cricket. Stretch, R.A., Noak, T.D. & Vaughan, C.L. Port Elizabeth: University of Port Elizabeth. 396-405.
- Potts, A.D. & Roach, N.K. (2002). Putting Alignment in Golf: A laser-based evaluation. In Science and Golf IV. Thain, E. London: Routledge. 142-150.
- Potts, A.D. & Roach, N.K. (2001). A Laser-based Evaluation of two different alignment strategies used in golf putting. In Optimising Performance in Golf. Thomas, P.R. Brisbane: Australian Academic Press. 104-111.
- Potts, A.D., Charlton, J.E. & Smith, H.M. (2002). Bilateral arm power imbalance in swim bench exercise to exhaustion. Journal of Sports Sciences 20(12): 975-979.