Dr Emma Vann Jones (née Norman)
- 2012 - present: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Durham University.
- 2007 - 2011: PhD, Durham University: ‘Microseismic monitoring of the controls on coastal rock cliff erosion’.
- 2005 - 2007: Catchment Flood Management Plan Project Manager, Environment Agency, Bridgwater.
- 2004 - 2005: Technical Officer, Water Quality Policy, Environment Agency, Bristol.
- 2003 - 2004: MSc, Environmental Water Management, Cranfield University.
- 2000 - 2003: BSc, Environmental Science, University of Brighton.
I am interested in understanding landform change and the environmental and material processes that control this. I am keen on developing and applying new field and data analysis techniques to address the questions and problems that traditional approaches have been unable to answer or tackle. I have a particular interest in rock coast environments and currently my work is focussed on:
- Exploring the alongshore distribution of wave energy around complex morphology rock coastlines and the erosion implications;
- Quantifying rates and patterns of coastal cliff erosion using terrestrial laser scanning, and exploring the sea’s influence on rock cliff erosion using cliff microseismic motions as proxies for marine forcing;
- Examining the processes and rates of iceberg break-up in West Greenland using microseismic signals of iceberg failure processes.
Chapter in book
- de Vilder, S.J., Rosser, N.J., Brain, M.J. & Vann Jones, E.C. (2017). Forensic rockfall scar analysis: Development of a mechanically correct model of rockfall failure. In Landslides: Putting Experience, Knowledge and Emerging Technologies into Practice. De Graff, J.V. & Shakoor, A. Zanesville, Ohio: Association of Environmental & Engineering Geologists (AEG). 829-839.
- Lim, M., Rosser, N.J., Petley, D.N., Norman, E.C., Barlow, J. & Brain, M.J. (2010). Characterising coastal cliff erosional environments: microclimate-rock interactions. In Geologically Active. Williams, A.L., Pinches, G.M., Chin, C.Y., McMorran, T.J. & Massey, C.I. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group, London.
- Brain, M.J., Rosser, N., Petley, D., Lim, M., Barlow, J. & Norman, E. (2010). Dynamic rock strength in coastal rock cliffs. In Geologically Active. Williams, A.L., Pinches, G.M., Chin, C.Y., McMorran, T.J. & Massey, C.I. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group, London.
- Norman, E.C., Rosser, N.J., Petley, D.N., Lim, M., Barlow, J. & Brain, M.J. (2010). Exploring the relationship between tidal duration and energy delivery to a coastal cliff. In Geologically Active. Williams, A.L., Pinches, G.M., Chin, C.Y., McMorran, T.J. & Massey, C.I. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group, London.
- Kennedy, D.K., Vann Jones, E.C., Dickson, M.E. & Rosser, N.J. (2018). Wind waves and cliff shaking on macrotidal shore platforms: A case-study from North Yorkshire, U.K. Journal of Coastal Research (Special Issue 85): 436-440.
- Kirkham, James D., Rosser, Nick J., Wainwright, John, Vann Jones (née Norman), Emma C., Dunning, Stuart A., Lane, Victoria S., Hawthorn, David E., Strzelecki, Mateusz C. & Szczuciński, Witold (2017). Drift-dependent changes in iceberg size-frequency distributions. Scientific Reports 7: 15991.
- Swirad, Z.M., Rosser, N.J., Brain, M.J. & Vann Jones, E.C. (2016). What controls the geometry of rocky coasts at the local scale?. Journal of Coastal Research 75(sp1): 612-616.
- Vann Jones (née Norman), E. C., Rosser, N. J., Brain, M. J. & Petley, D. N. (2015). Quantifying the environmental controls on erosion of a hard rock cliff. Marine Geology 363: 230-242.
- Brain, M.J., Rosser, N.J., Norman, E.C. & Petley, D.N. (2014). Are microseismic ground displacements a significant geomorphic agent?. Geomorphology 207: 161-173.
- Norman, E.C., Rosser, N.J., Brain, M.J., Petley, D.N. & Lim, M. (2013). Coastal cliff-top ground motions as proxies for environmental processes. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans 118(12): 6807 - 6823.
- Rosser, N.J., Brain, M.J., Petley, D.N., Lim, M. & Norman, E.C. (2013). Coastline retreat via progressive failure of rocky coastal cliffs. Geology 41(8): 939-942.
- Barlow, J., Lim, M., Rosser, N.J., Petley, D.N., Brain, M.J., Norman, E.C. & Geer, M. (2012). Modeling cliff erosion using negative power law scaling of rockfalls. Geomorphology 139-140: 416–424.