Ms Marcela Reyes-Otaiza
2009 ∙ PGCert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education ∙ Durham University ∙ UK
2007 ∙ Teacher of Spanish as a Foreign Language ∙ Instituto Cervantes ∙ Manchester ∙ UK
November 2003 to June 2004 I was a Researcher, Curator and Artist on a project entitled: Textual and visual research: i-textual. Exhibited in the National Library, Caracas - Venezuela
2001 ∙ Licenciatura en Letras (BA Humanities) Universidad Católica Andrés Bello ∙ Venezuela. Distinction: Thesis Mención Publicación.
I have 13 years of experience as a teacher of Spanish Language, which includes teaching native and non-native speakers. After finishing a BA in Humanities at Andres Bello Catholic University (Caracas, Venezuela) I worked as a teacher of Grammar and Literature in Secondary Education and as a Teacher of Language and Communication in Higher Education at Simón Bolívar University, primarily focusing on improving communicational skills for Spanish native speakers.
As my interest in second language acquisition deepened, I started training at Instituto Cervantes in the UK as Teacher of Spanish as a Foreign Language and then joined the School of Modern Languages and Cultures at Durham University in 2007 where I completed a PGCert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education. I have been teaching in all Core Language Modules, from Ab initio to Post A-Level and from the first to the final year.
Teaching and Administrative Commitments
SPAN3011 Spanish Language
Year Abroad Officer for Latin America
Year Abroad Tutor
- Contemporary Latin American Cinema
- Contemporary Latin American Literature
- Gender and Queer Studies
- (2007), Venezuela: Tierra de Gracia presented for the Instituto Cervantes/Royal Grammar School, Manchester, UK, Instituto Cervantes/Royal Grammar School, Manchester, England.
- (2006), El narrar heterogéneo de Mario Bellatín at the Latin American Studies Association Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- (2005), Mario Bellatín: Del fotomontaje al texto at Integrated Postgraduate Programmes in Literature in Caracas, Venezuela.