Prof Mike Byram
Michael Byram has been Professor Emeritus since October 2008.
His work in the School comprised initial teacher education and being Director of Research Degrees with supervision of research students. He began his career teaching French and German at secondary school level and in adult education in an English comprehensive community school. After being appointed to a post in teacher education at the University of Durham in 1980, he carried out research into the education of linguistic minorities, foreign language education and student residence abroad, and supervised doctoral students in intercultural studies, language teaching and comparative education. He has published many books and articles including, Teaching and Assessing Intercultural Communicative Competence; From Foireoign Language eEductaion to Education for Intercultural Citizenship, The Common European Framework of Reference. The globalisation of language education policy (edited with Lynne Parmenter). He is the editor with Adelheid HU of the Routledge Encyclopedia of Language Teaching and Learning, which has been translated into Chinese and Arabic.
NEW BOOKS (Sept 2016)
"New approaches to English language and education in Taiwan: cultural and intercultural perspectives" Edited with Wen-Chuan Lin and published in Taiwan Sept 2016.
"New perspectives on intercultural language research and teaching; exploring learners' understandings of texts from other cultures." Melina Porto and Michael Byram. March 2016 Routledge.
"From Principles to Practice in Education for Intercultural Citizenship" Edited with Irina Golubeva, Han Hui and Manuela Wagner (Nov 2016)
Completed Supervisions (since 2008)
School of Education
- Individuals and Contexts in Education
- Bilingual education
- Comparative education
- Foreign language teaching
- Byram, M. (2017). Intercultural Communicative Language Teaching and TCSOL. Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
- Porto, M. & Byram, M. (2017). New Perspectives on Intercultural Language Research and Teaching: Exploring Learners’ Understandings of Texts from Other Cultures. Routledge.
- Lai, P.S. & Byram, M.S. (2012). Re-Shaping Education for Citizenship: Democratic National Citizenship in Hong Kong. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Byram, M.S. (2008). From Foreign Language Education to Education for Intercultural Citizenship. Essays and Reflection. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
Chapter in book
- Hua, Z., Holmes, P., Young, T. & Angouri, J. (2016). How to identify research questions. In Research methods in intercultural communication: a practical guide. Hua, Z. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell. 73-87.
- Byram, M. (2013). Citizenship Education. In Wiley Online encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Chapelle, C. Wiley Online Library.
- Byram, M. (2013). Cultural awareness in multilingual education. In Wiley Online Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Chapelle, C.
- Byram, M. (2013). De la formation en langues étrangères à l'éducation à la citoyenneté interculturelle. In Éthique et politique en didactigue des langues. Beacco, J-C. Paris: Didier. 1-26.
- Byram, M. (2013). Identifications through languages. In Intersecting Identities and Interculturality: Discourse and Practice. Machart, R., Lim, C.B., Lim, S.N. & Yamato, E. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 45-56.
- Byram, M. & Masuhara, H. (2013). Intercultural competence. In Applied linguistics and materials development. Tomlinson, B. London: Bloomsbury. 143-160.
- Byram, M. (2013). Intercultural Competence. In Wiley Online Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Chapelle, C.
- Byram, M. (2013). Sprachenpolitik zwischen Theorie und Praxis. In Mehrsprachigkeit grenzuberschreitend. Modelle, Konzepte, Erfahrungen. Gombos, G. Klagenfurt: Drava Verlag. 35-45.
- Byram, M.S. (2012). Characteristics and competences of the plurilingual and intercultural citizen. In Mehrsprachigkeit. Bildung - Kommunikation - Standards. Facke, C., Martinez, H. & Meissner, F-J. Stuttgart: Ernst Klett Verlag. 15-25.
- Byram, M. (2012). Reflecting on teaching 'culture' in foreign language education. In Insights into the European Portfolio for Student Teachers of Languages (EPOSTL). Newby, D. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). A research agenda for 'intercultural competence'. In Intercultural competence. Concepts, challenges and evaluations. Witte, A. & Harden, T. Oxford: Peter Lang. 19-36.
- Byram, M. (2011). Conceptualizing intercultural (communicative) competence and intercultural citizenship. In The Routledge Handbook of Language and Intercultural Communication. Jackson, J. Routledge: London. 85-97.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). Intercultural citizenship - an education perspective. In Nationalism, Ethnicity, Citizenship. Barrett, M., Flood, C. & Eade, J. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 163-180.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). La competence interculturelle. In guide pur la recherche en didactique des langues et des cultures. Blanchet, P. & Chardent, P. Paris: Editions des archives contemporaines. 253-260.
- Byram, M. (2011). Language teaching (and learning) in a European perspective. In Foreign language teaching - history, theory, methods. Appel, J., Doff, S., Rymarczyk, J. & Thaler, E. Langenscheidt. 11-18.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). Recherche et prise de position. In Guide pur la recherche en didactique des langues et des cultures. Blanchet, P. & chardent, P. Paris: Editions des archives contemporaines. 41-44.
- Byram, M. & Parmenter, L. (2010). An overview of the international influences oon the CEFR. In Statements in language education in Japan and beyond - Applications of the CEFR. Schmidt, M.G., Naganuma, N., O'Dwyer, F., Imig, A. & Sakai, K. Tokyo: Asahi Press.
- Byram, M., Lapkin, S., LoBianco, J., Met, M. & Scott, A. (2010). Fremds[prachen] didaktik in englischsprachigen Landern. In Handbuch Fremdsprachendidaktik. Hallet, W. & Konigs, F.G. Seelze-Velber, Germany: Klett/Kallmeyer.
- Byram, M. (2010). Intercomprehension; intercultural competence and foreign language teaching. In Lernerautonouire durch Interkomprehension. Doye, P. & Meissner, F-J. Tubingen: Narr Verlag.
- Byram, M. & Guilherme, M. (2010). Intercultural education and intercultural communication: tracing the relationship. In Becoming intercultural: inside and outside the classroom. Tsai, Y. & Houghton, S. Newcastle upon Tyne, England: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 2-22.
- Byram, M.S. (2008). Education for intercultural citizenship: language teaching and education for citizenship - in Europe and beyond. In Visions of Language in Education. Visionen der Bildung durch Sprachen. Doff, S., Hullen, W. & Klippel, F. (eds) Berlin: Langenscheidt. 65-75.
- Byram, M.S. (2008). Researching residence and study abroad. In Auslandsaufenthalte in Schule und Studium. Bestanbdsaufnahme aus Forschung und Praxis. Ehrenreich, S., Woodman, G. & Perrefort, M. Munster: Waxman. 19-28.
- Byram, M., Golubeva, I., Hui, H. & Wagner, M. (2017). From Principles to Practice in Education for Intercultural Citizenship. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Wen-Chuan, L. & Byram, M. (2016). New Approaches to English Language and Education in Taiwan: Cultural and Intercultural Perspectives. Taiwan: Donghua.
- Byram, M.S. & Hu, A. (2012). Routledge Encyclopedia of Language Teaching and Learning. Routledge: London.
- Byram, M.S. & Parmenter, L. (2012). The Common European Framework of Reference: The Globalisation of Language Education Policy. Multilingual Matters.
- Feng, A., Byram, M. & Fleming, M. (2009). Becoming Interculturally Competent through Education and Training. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Byram, M.S. & Dervin, F. (2008). Echanges et Mobilités Académiques. Quel bilan?.
- Byram, M. & Wagner, M. (2018). Making a Difference: Language Teaching for Intercultural and International Dialogue. Foreign Language Annals 51(1): 140-151.
- Rauschert, P. & Byram, M. (2018). Service learning and intercultural citizenship in foreign-language education. Cambridge Journal of Education 48(3): 353-369.
- Byram, Michael, Hu, Adelheid & Rahman, Mizanur (2017). Are researchers in Europe European researchers? A study of doctoral researchers at the University of Luxembourg. Studies in Higher Education
- Castro, Paloma, Woodin, Jane, Lundgren, Ulla & Byram, Michael (2016). Student mobility and internationalisation in higher education: perspectives from practitioners. Language and Intercultural Communication 16(3): 418-436.
- Porto, M. & Byram, M. (2015). A curriculum for action in the community and intercultural citizenship in higher education. Language, Culture and Curriculum 28(3): 226-242.
- Wagner, M. & Byram, M. (2015). Gaining Intercultural Communicative Competence. The Language Educator 10(3): 28-30.
- Byram, M.S., Holmes, P.M. & Savvides, N. (2015). Guest editorial. The Language Learning Journal 43(2): 129-130.
- Byram, M. (2014). Twenty-five years on – from cultural studies to intercultural citizenship. Language, Culture and Curriculum 27(3): 209-225.
- Byram, M. (2013). Foreign language teaching and intercultural citizenship. Iranian Journal of Language Teaching Research 1(3): 53-62.
- Byram, M., Holmes, P. & Savvides, N. (2013). Intercultural communicative competence in foreign language education: Questions of theory, practice and research. Guest editorial I. The Language Learning Journal 41(3): 251-253.
- Porto, M. (2013). Language and intercultural education: an interview with Michael Byram. Pedagogies. An international journal 8(2).
- Byram, M. (2013). Language teaching and its contexts. Iranian Journal of Language Teaching Research 1(1): 1-26.
- Byram, M. (2013). Teaching communicative and intercultural competence. Lend. Lingua e nuova didattica XLII 2: 34-43.
- Byram, M., Perugini, D.C. & Wagner, M. (2013). The Development of Intercultural Citizenship in the Elementary School Spanish Classroom. Learning Languages Contents 18(1): 16-31.
- Byram, M.S. (2012). Language awareness and (critical) cultural awareness - relationships, comparisons and contrasts. Language Awareness 21(1-2): 5-13.
- Byram, M. & Wang, L. (2011). But when you are doing your exams it is the same as in China - Chinese students adjusting to western approaches to teaching and learning. Cambridge Journal of Education 41(4): 407-424.
- Yamada, E. & Byram, M. (2011). Criticality and the purposes of teaching foreign languages in Higher Education. Journal of Intercultural Communication Research 2: 171-188.
- Byram, M. (2011). From foreign language education to education for intercultural citizenship. Intercultural Communication Review 9: 17-36.
- Byram, M. (2011). Intercultural citizenship from an internationalist perspective. Journal of the NUS Teaching Academy 1(1): 10-20.
- Byram, M. (2011). Intercultural citizenship: foreign language teaching as an extension of national education. In Chinese, translated by Han Hui Hellen. Academic Research 11: 128-135.
- Byram, M.S. (2011). Teaching French and intercultural (communicative) competence. Francophonie 44(Autumn): 14-19.
- Byram, M. (2011). The Common (European) CEFR of Reference - teaching foreign languages, mediation and intercultural competence. Annual Review of English Learning and Teaching 16.
- Byram, M. (2010). Identitast formalunk, vagy kompetenciakat fejlesztunk a tobbkulturaju allampolgarok kineveleseben? Iskolakultura 4: 43-58.
- Byram, M. (2010). Linguistic and Cultural Education for Bildung and Citizenship. The Modern Language Journal 94(2): 317-321.
- Hussein, A., Beverton, S. & Byram, M. (2010). Targets for the Reading Literacy Curriculum in the Egyptian Secondary School. The Journal of Reading, Writing and Literacy 4(3).
- Byram, M. (2008). Plurilingvalnost u Evropi i njene implikacije. Revija za obrazovanja i kultura 8-9.
- Byram, M. & Feng, A. (2004). Culture and language learning: teaching research and scholarship. Language Teaching 37(3): 149-168.
- Byram, M. (2015). Researching Cultures of Learning: International Perspectives on Language Learning and Education Researching Intercultural Learning: Investigations in Language and Education. ELT Journal 69(3): 331-334.
- Wagner, M., Cardetti, F. & Byram, M. (2016), Exploring Collaborative Work for the Creation of Interdisciplinary Units Centered on Intercultural Citizenship, in Garrett-Rucks, P. & Fantini, A. E. eds, New Levels, No Limits. Southern Conference on Language Teaching. Charlotte, NC, Southern Conference on Language Teaching (SCOLT), Decatur, 35-51.
- Byram, M. (2010), Global communities, cosmopolitan and intercultural citizenship, International Association for Intercultural Studies Conference. Guangzhou, China, Guangzhou.
- Byram, M., Holmes, P. & Savvides, N. (2013). Teaching and Learning Intercultural communication in the Second/Foreign Language Classroom. The Language Learning Journal Special Issue I, 41 (3).
Available for media contact about:
- Subject specialists: modern languages
- Subject specialists: bilingual education
- Subject specialists: foreign language teaching
- Subject specialists: ethnic minority education
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: France/Germany
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: language teaching
- Foreign Literature & Language: French/German
- Foreign Literature & Language: modern language teaching