Professor DE Cooper, BA, B.Phil, MA
David E. Cooper has been President (or Chair) of the Aristotelian Society, the Mind Assocation, the Friedrich Nietzsche Society, and the Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain. He is on the Executive Committee of the Royal Institute of Philosophy. Prof. Cooper has been a visiting Professor at universities in the USA, Canada, Germany, Malta and South Africa. He has been the recipient of many research awards, including AHRB and Leverhulme Trust research fellowships. He was Editor of the Ashgate Publisher’s World Philosophies series and has been on the editorial board of three journals. His philosophical interests include aspects of the history of philosophy (western and eastern), aesthetics, environmental ethics, and the philosophy of language. He has recently completed a book on the philosophy of gardens. His larger research interests include:
* History of Philosophy (Western and Eastern)
* Philosophy and the environment
Professor Cooper is Associate Director of Durham University's Project Sri Lanka.
- Asian philosophy
- Environmental philosophy
- History of philosophy
- Modern European philosophy
- David E. Cooper (2006). A Philosophy of Gardens. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Cooper, David E. & James, Simon P. (2005). Buddhism, Virtue and Environment. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Cooper DE (2003). Meaning. Chesham, Bucks.: Acumen.
- David E. Cooper (2003). World Philosophies: An Historical Introduction. Oxford: Blackwell.
- David E. Cooper (2002). The Measure of Things: Humanism, Humility and Mystery. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- David E. Cooper (1999). Existentialism: A Reconstruction. Oxford: Blackwell.
- David E. Cooper (1996). Heidegger. London: Claridge.
- David E. Cooper (1986). Metaphor. Oxford: Blackwell.
- David E. Cooper (1983). Authenticity and Learning: Nietzsche's Educational Philosophy. London: Routledge.
- David E. Cooper (1980). Illusions of Equality. London: Routledge.
- David E. Cooper (1975). Philosophy and the Nature of Language. London: Longman.
- David E. Cooper & Peter S. Fosl (2009). Philosophy: The Classic Readings. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
Available for media contact about:
- Education & awareness: environmental policy
- Education & awareness: animal issues
- Education & awareness: sexual ethics
- Education & awareness: religion (eastern and western)
- Ethics: environmental ethics
- Ethics: existentialism
- Ethics: art & language
- Ethics: history of Philosophy
Indicators of Esteem
- : Visiting Professor at Universities in the USA, Canada, Malta, Sri Lanka, South Africa.