Professor Ashraf Osman, BSc MPhil PhD
(email at email@example.com)
Professor Osman obtained an MPhil in 2002 and a PhD in 2005 from Cambridge University, both in geotechnical engineering. Professor Osman’s research focuses on developing analytical and numerical solutions for soil-structure interaction problems. His research has been funded by UKRI, the Royal Society, the Royal Academy of Engineering and the British Council. He is the PI for 8 GCRF and Newton Fund grants. He is leading the £1.27M GCRF/EPSRC (EP/P029434/1) project “Developing performance-based design for foundations of WIND turbines in AFRICA (WindAfrica)”. This project aims to accelerate the deployment of wind turbines in Africa by designing foundations suitable for African unsaturated soils. He is also leading the Newton Fund international consortium on Unsaturated Soils Mechanics for Engineering Practice (UnsatPractice).
Professor Osman is a member of two Technical Committees (TCs) of the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE): TC219 System Performance of Geotechnical Structures and TC308 Energy Geotechnics. Professor Osman was a past member of the editorial board of the ICE proceedings- Geotechnical Engineering (Nov 2014- Oct 2020), the Géotechnique Advisory Panel (Jan 2011-Jan 2014) and the Executive Committee of the UK Association for Computational Mechanics (2012-2014).
Department of Engineering
- Sustainable Infrastructure
- Perfomance-based design methods
- Soil-structure-atmosphere interaction
- Large-strain deformation analysis
- Urban data systems
- Higgins, K. G., Ainsworth, Y, Toll, D.G. & Osman, A.S. (2021). Piling 2020. ICE Publishing.
- Osman, A.S. & Toll, D.G. (2015). Proceedings of the 24th European Young Geotechnical Engineering. Durham University.
- Toll, D.G., Zhu, H., Osman, A.S. , Coombs, W., Li, X. & Rouainia, M. (2014). Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Information Technology in Geo-Engineering. Advances in Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. IOS Press.
- Osman, A. S., Coombs, W.M & Koziara, T. (2013). CM13: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Mechanics. Durham University.
- Al-Ghosoun, A., Osman, A. S. & Seaid, M. (2021). A Computational Model for Simulation of Shallow Water Waves by Elastic Deformations in the Topography. Communications in Computational Physics
- Al-Ghosoun, A. , Osman, A. S. & Seaid, M. (2021). A hybrid finite volume/finite element method for shallow water waves by static deformation on seabeds. Engineering Computations 38(5): 2434-2459.
- Osman, A. S., Birchall, T. J. & Rouainia, M. (2020). A simple model for tertiary creep in geomaterials. Geotechnical Research 70(1): 3–59.
- Hashem Ali, S & Osman, A. S. (2020). Analysis of a laterally loaded rigid cylinder embedded in an elastoplastic. Results in Engineering 5: 100062.
- Osman, Ashraf S. & Jacobsz, S.W. (2019). Analysis of maximum arching conditions in active plane-strain trapdoors in sand. Computers and Geotechnics 113: 103089.
- Osman, Ashraf S. (2019). Upper bound solutions for the shape factors of smooth rectangular footings on frictional materials. Computers and Geotechnics 115: 103177.
- Alghosoun A, Osman A & Seaid M (2018). A Finite Element/Finite Volume Method for Dam-Break Flows over Deformable Beds. International Journal of Bioengineering and Life Sciences 12(10): 395-399.
- Osman, A. S. (2016). Discussion of “Undrained Stability of Dual Circular Tunnels” by Daniel W. Wilson, Andrew J. Abbo, Scott W. Sloan, and Andrei V. Lyamin (in print). International Journal of Geomechanics 16(5): 1.
- Osman, A. S. & Randolph, M. F. (2015). On the calculation of cumulative strain around full-flow penetrometers in steady-state conditions. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 39(4 ): 368-387
- Osman, AS & Rouainia, M (2014). A Semi-analytical solution for consolidation around a spherical cavity in an elasto-plastic medium and its potential application for tunneling. International Journal of Computational Methods 11(02): 1342010.
- Osman, A.S. & Randolph, M. F. (2012). An Analytical Solution for the Consolidation around a Laterally Loaded Pile. International Journal of Geomechanics 12(3): 199-208.
- Osman, A.S. & Rouainia, M. (2012). Dynamic response of an axially loaded rigid sphere embedded in a saturated poroelastic medium. Archive of Applied Mechanics 82(3): 407-421.
- Birchall, T. J. & Osman, A. S. (2012). Response of a tunnel deeply embedded in a viscoelastic medium. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 36(15): 1717-1740.
- Osman, A. S. (2010). Comparison between coupled and uncoupled consolidation analysis of a rigid sphere in a porous elastic infinite space. Journal of Engineering Mechanics 136(8): 1059-1064.
- Osman, A.S & Randolph, M. F. (2010). Response of a solid infinite cylinder embedded in a poroelastic medium and subjected to a lateral load. International Journal of Solids and Structures 47(18-19): 2414-2424
- Osman, A. S. (2010). Stability of unlined twin tunnels in undrained clay. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 25(3): 290-296.
- Klar, A. & Osman, A. S. (2008). Continuous velocity fields for the T-bar problem. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 32(8): 949-963.
- Klar, A. & Osman, A. S. (2008). Load-displacement solutions for piles and shallow foundations based on deformation fields and energy conservation. Geotechnique 58(7): 581-589.
- Klar, A, Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2007). 2D and 3D upper bound solutions for tunnel excavation using 'elastic' flow fields. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 31(12): 1367-1374.
- Osman, A. S & Bolton, M. D. (2007). Discussion: Design of braced excavations to limit ground movements. Authors' reply. Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers, Geotechnical Engineering 160(1): 55-56.
- Osman, A. S., White, D. J., Britto, A. & Bolton, M. D. (2007). Simple prediction of the undrained displacement of a circular surface foundation on non-linear soil. Geotechnique 57(9): 729-737.
- Osman, A. S & Bolton, M. D. (2006). Design of braced excavations to limit ground movements. Geotechnical Engineering, proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineering 159(GE3): 167-175.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2006). Disscussion on Simple plasticity-based prediction of the undrained settlement of shallow foundations on clay, Authors' reply. Geotechnique 55, No 6.,435-477. Geotechnique 56(5): 355-356.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2006). Ground movement predictions for braced excavations in undrained clay. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 132(4): 465-477.
- Osman, A. S., Mair, R. J. & Bolton, M. D. (2006). On the kinematics of 2D tunnel collapse in undrained clay. Géotechnique 56(9): 585-595.
- Osman, A. S., Bolton, M. D. & Mair, R.J. (2006). Predicting 2D ground movements around tunnels in undrained clay. Géotechnique 56(9): 597-604.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2005). Simple plasticity-based prediction of the undrained settlement of shallow circular foundations on clay. Géotechnique 55(6): 435-447.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2004). A new design method for retaining walls in clay. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 41(3): 451-466.
- Alhaj, K.M.A Biscontin, G. Elshafie, M.Z.E.B & Osman, A.S. (2020), Water retention and characteristic curves representing tropical clay soils from Africa, in Cardoso, R., Jommi, C. & Romero, E. eds, E3S Web of Conferences 195: 4th European Conference on Unsaturated Soils (E-UNSAT 2020). ONLINE CONFERENCE 01019
- Gaspar, T.A.V. Jacobsz, S.W., Smit, G. & Osman, A. S. (2019), An expansive clay for centrifuge modelling, 17th European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering ECSMGE. Reykjavik, Iceland, Icelandic Geotechnical Society, Reykjavik, Iceland, 1-8.
- Smit, G., Jacobsz, S.W. Gaspar, T.A.V. & Osman, A. S. (2019), Centrifuge modelling of pile pull-out tests in expansive soil, 17th European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering ECSMGE. Reykjavik, Iceland, Icelandic Geotechnical Society, Reykjavik, Iceland, 1-8.
- Osman, A. S. , Jacobsz, S.W. & Purchase, C. (2019), Numerical analysis of cavity propagation in deep trapdoor experiments, 17th European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering ECSMGE. Reykjavik, Iceland, Icelandic Geotechnical Society, Reykjavik, Iceland, 1-7.
- da Silva, T.S. Haigh, S.K. Elshafie, M.Z.E.B. Jacobsz, S.W., Day, P.W. & Osman, A.S. (2019), Preparations for field testing for the performance validation of piled wind turbine foundations in expansive clays, in Kalumba, Denis eds, Proceedings of the 17th African Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. Cape Town, South Africa, ISSMGE, 661-666.
- Alhaj, K.M.A. Biscontin, G, Elshafie, M.Z.E.B. & Osman A.S. (2019), Soil water retention curves representing tropical clay soils from Africa, 17th African Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. Cape Town, South Africa.
- Osman, A. S & Birchall, T. J. (2014), Modelling tertiary creep in geomaterials using a continuum damage mechanics approach, in Soga, Kenichi, Kumar, Krishna, Biscontin, Giovanna & Kuo, Matthew eds, International Symposium on Geomechanics from Micro and Macro. Cambridge, UK, CRC Press, London, 705-708.
- Birchall, T.J. & Osman, A. S. (2013), On the formulation of thermodynamically-consistent viscoplastic-damage constitutive models, in Osman, A.S., Coombs, W.M. & Koziara, T. eds, CM13: International Conference on Computational Mechanics. Durham, UK, Durham.
- Birchall, T. J. & Osman A. S (2012), Modelling creep in rocks using hyper-plasticity approach, Annual conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering. Manchester, England, Manchester.
- Osman, A. S. & RouainiaM. (2011), Numerical simulation of an axially loaded rigid sphere subject to harmonic load, 96: Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Conference on Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering Computing.
- Osman, A. S. & Hussein, M. F. M. (2010), Dynamic response of a laterally-loaded infinite rigid cylinder embedded in a saturated poroelastic medium, in Tizani, W. eds, The International Society for Computing in Civil and Building Engineering (ISCCBE). Nottingham, England, University of Nottingham, Nottingham.
- Panayides, S., Rouainia, M. & Osman, A. S. (2010), Numerical investigation of the behaviour of suction caissons in structured clays, in Gourvenec, S. & White. D. eds, Second International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics (ISFOG II). University of Western Australia (UWA), Perth, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 759-764.
- Birchall, T. J. & Osman, A. S. (2010), Three-dimensional finite element analysis of opening interaction in squeezing ground, 18th Annual Conference of the Association of Computational Mechanics in Engineering (ACME-UK). Southampton, England, Southampton.
- Osman, A.S. (2008), Displacement of a circular surface foundation on non-linear soil, 16th Annual conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering. Newcastle, England, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Klar A. & Osman A. S. (2008), Predicting undrained displacement of piles under lateral loading, 2nd BGA International Conference on Foundations- ICOF. Dundee, Scotland, Dundee.
- Bolton, M.D., Lam, S.Y. & Osman, A. S. (2008), Supporting excavations in clay - from analysis to decision-making, Keynote Paper, Geotechnical Aspects of Underground Construction in Soft Ground: Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium (IS-Shanghai 2008). Shanghai, China, Shanghai.
- Osman, A. S. , Bolton, M.D. & Mair, R. J. (2007), Modelling ground displacements around tunnels in clay, 2: the XIV European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. Madrid, Spain, Madrid, 1001-1005.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2006), Modelling ground displacements around tunnels in clay, 4th International Conference on Soft Clay Engineering. Vancouver, Canada, Vancouver, British Columbia, 755-764.
- Toll, D.G., Abedin Z., Buma, J., Cui, Y., Osman, A. S. & Phoon, K.K. (2012). The impact of changes in the water table and soil moisture on structural stability of buildings and foundation systems: Systematic review CEE10-005 (SR90). Collaboration for Environmental Evidence.
- Dr Tim Charlton
- Mr Thomas Rowan
- Dr Hamed Moghaddasi
- Mrs Alia Al-ghosoun
- Mr Tiago Gaspar
- Ms. Ekaterina Lgotina
- 2020: Shallow Landslide Susceptibility Mapping in Rize, Turkey (£40000.00 from Royal Academy of Engineering)
- 2019: Integrated Modelling of Landslides due to Hydrometeorological Impact in Langat Basin, Peninsular Malaysia (iModelLandslides) (£380825.00 from Natural Environmental Research Council)
- 2018: CACTUS: Climate Adaptation Control Technologies for Urban Spaces (£349758.00 from Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council)
- 2017: Increasing Climate Resilience of Urban Infrastructure (£37200.00 from British Council Yemen)
- 2015: Predicting collapse of sinkholes using an unsaturated soil mechanics framework (£12000.00 from Royal Academy of Engineering)
- 2015: Unsaturated Soils Mechanics for Engineering Practice (UnsatPractice) (£152219.56 from ESRC)