Professor Sarah Atkinson - all publications
- Atkinson, S. & Hunt, R. (2019). Geohumanities and Health. Global Perspectives on Health Geography. Switzerland: Springer.
- Whitehead, A., Woods, A., Atkinson, S., Macnaughton, J. & Richards, J. (2016). The Edinburgh Companion to the Critical Medical Humanities. Edinburgh Companions to Literature. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Atkinson, S., Fuller, S. & Painter, J. (2012). Wellbeing and place. Farnham: Ashgate.
Chapter in book
- Atkinson, S. (2021). Resilience. In Future Theory: A Bloomsbury Handbook to Critical Concepts. Botha, M. & Waugh, P. London: Bloomsbury.
- Hunt, R. & Atkinson, S. (2019). GeoHumanities and Health. In GeoHumanities and Health. Atkinson, S. & Hunt, R. Springer. 1-19.
- Tan, M.K.B. & Atkinson, S. (2019). Multiplicity and Encounters of Cultures of Care in Advanced Ageing. In Geohumanities and Health. Atkinson, S. & Hunt, R. Cham: Springer. 241-259.
- Atkinson, S. (2019). Wellbeing and the Wild, Blue 21st-Century Citizen. In Blue Space, Health and Wellbeing: Hydrophilia Unbounded. Foley, R., Kearns, R., Kistemann, T. & Wheeler, B. Abingdon, Oxon: Taylor & Francis. 190-204.
- Atkinson, S. (2017). Mixing and fixing: managing and imagining the body in a global world. In Global health and Geographical Imaginaries. Herrick, C. & Reubi, D. London: Routledge. 54-71.
- Atkinson, S. (2016). Care, kidneys and clones: the distance of space, time and imagination. In The Edinburgh Companion to the Critical Medical Humanities. Whitehead, A., Woods, A., Atkinson, S., Macnaughton, J. & Richards, J. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. 611-626.
- Atkinson, S. (2016). Health and Wellbeing. In The International Encyclopedia of Geography: People, the Earth, Environment, and Technology. Richardson, D., Castree, N., Goodchild, M., Weidong, L., Kobayashi, A. & Marston, R. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell/AAG.
- Atkinson, S & Vaguet, A. (2011). La Mondialisation à la Loupe des Géographes de la Santé. In Santé et Géographie: Nouveaux Regards. Fleuret, S. & Hoyez, A. Economica, Paris. 15-37.
- Atkinson, S. (2007). Health and Disease. In Companion Encyclopaedia of Geography: from local to global. Douglas, I., Huggett, R. & Perkins, C. London: Routledge. 157-168.
- Atkinson, S. (2006). Approaches to studying decentralisation. In Decentralization in health care: strategies and outcomes. Saltman, R., Bankauskaite, V. & Vrangbaek, K. Milton Keynes: OUP.
- Atkinson, S. (2002). Local management and the quality of urban health services: prenatal care in Northwest Brazil. In Urban Health in the Third World. Akhtar, R. New Delhi: APH Publishing Corporation.
- Atkinson, S (Submitted). Toxic Wellbeing and Geography's Wholesome Tonic. Social Science and Medicine
- Curtis, Sarah, Congdon, Peter, Atkinson, Sarah, Corcoran, Rhiannon, MaGuire, Rosie & Peasgood, Tessa (2020). Adverse conditions for wellbeing at the neighbourhood scale in England: potential and challenges for operationalising indicators relevant to wellbeing in and of places. Wellbeing, Space and Society 100009.
- Atkinson, S., Bagnall, A-M., Corcoran, R., South, J. & Curtis, S. (2020). Being well together: individual subjective and community wellbeing. Journal of Happiness Studies 21(5): 1903-1921.
- Tupper, E, Atkinson, S & Pollard, TM (2020). Doing more with movement: constituting healthy publics in a movement volunteering programme. Palgrave Communications 6: 94.
- Curtis, S, Congdon, P, Atkinson, S, Corcoran, R, Maguire, R & Peasgood, T (2020). The significance of small area indicators of community deprivation as predictors of self-reported wellbeing: analysis of the Understanding Society Survey. Wellbeing, Society and Space
- Atkinson, Sarah (2020). The Toxic Effects of Subjective Wellbeing and Potential Tonics. Social Science & Medicine 113098.
- Coyle, L.A. & Atkinson, S. (2019). Vulnerability as practice in diagnosing multiple conditions. Medical Humanities 45(3): 278-287.
- de Leeuw, Sarah, Donovan, Courtney, Schafenacker, Nicole, Kearns, Robin, Neuwelt, Pat, Squier, Susan Merill, McGeachan, Cheryl, Parr, Hester, Frank, Arthur W., Coyle, Lindsay-Ann, Atkinson, Sarah, El-Hadi, Nehal, Shklanka, Karen, Shooner, Caroline, Beljaars, Diana & Anderson, Jon (2018). Geographies of Medical and Health Humanities: A Cross-Disciplinary Conversation. GeoHumanities 4(2): 285-334.
- Coyle, L.A. & Atkinson, S. (2018). Imagined Futures in Living with Multiple Conditions: Positivity, Relationality and Hopelessness. Social Science and Medicine 198: 53-60.
- Stickley, T., Parr, H., Atkinson, S., Daykin, N., Clift, S., de Nora, T., Hacking, S., Camic, P.M., Joss, T., White, M. & Hogan, S.J. (2017). Arts, health & wellbeing: reflections on a national seminar series and building a UK research network. Arts & Health 9(1): 14-25.
- Atkinson, S., Evans, B., Woods, A. & Kearns, R. (2015). ‘The Medical’ and ‘health’ in a critical medical humanities. Journal of Medical Humanities 36(1): 71-81.
- Schwanen, T. & Atkinson, S. (2015). Geographies of wellbeing: an introduction. Geographical Journal 181(2): 98-101.
- Atkinson, S., Foley, R. & Parr, H. (2015). Introduction: Spatial Perspectives and Medical Humanities. Journal of Medical Humanities 36(1): 1-4.
- Atkinson, S.J. & Scott, K.E. (2015). Stable and destabilised states of subjective wellbeing: dance and movement as catalysts of transition. Social and Cultural Geography 16(1): 75-94.
- Atkinson, S. (2013). Beyond components of wellbeing: the effects of relational and situated assemblage. Topoi 32(2): 137-144.
- Atkinson, S. & White, M. (2013). Beyond the Local Agenda: International Perspectives in Community-based Arts and Health (Editorial for Special Issue of six papers). Arts & Health 5(3): 175-176.
- White, M. , Atkinson, S. & Meagher, M. Eds. (2013). International perspectives on the development of research-guided practice in community-based arts in health. Special Issue of eleven papers and an overview. UNESCO observatory e-journal 3(3 November).
- Atkinson, S. & Rubidge, T. (2013). Managing the spatialities of arts-based practices with school children: an inter-disciplinary exploration of engagement, movement and well-being. Arts & Health 5(1): 39-50.
- Medeiros, R.L.M. & Atkinson, S. (2013). Performance of the local health system and contingent influences in Northeast-Brazil: breaking vicious and virtuous circles. Ciência e Saúde Coletiva 18(11): 3431-3442.
- Atkinson, S. & Robson, M. (2012). Arts and health as a practice of liminality: managing the spaces of transformation for social and emotional wellbeing with primary school children. Health & Place 18(6): 1348-1355.
- Swan, P.J. & Atkinson, S. (2012). Managing evaluation: a community arts organisation's perspective. Arts & Health 4(3): 217-229.
- Atkinson, S. & Rubinelli, S. (2012). Narrative in cancer research and policy: voice, knowledge and context. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 84(Supplement 2): S11-S16.
- Atkinson, S., Lawson, V. & Wiles, J. (2011). Care of the body: spaces of practice. Social and Cultural Geography 12(6): 563-572.
- Atkinson, S. (2011). Moves to measure wellbeing must support a social model of health. British Medical Journal 343(7832): d7323
- Atkinson, S. (2011). Scales of Care and Responsibility: debating the surgically globalised body. Social and Cultural Geography 12(6): 623-637.
- Atkinson, S. & Joyce, K.E. (2011). The place and practices of wellbeing in local governance. Environment and Planning C 29(1): 133-148.
- Atkinson, S, Macnaughton, J, Saunders, C & Evans, M (2010). Cool Intimacies of Care for Contemporary Clinical Practice. The Lancet 376(9754): 1732-1733.
- Atkinson, S. & Ayers, A. (2010). The Potential of the Internet for Alternative Caring Practices for Health. Anthropology and Medicine 17(1): 75-86.
- Atkinson, S. & Medeiros, R. (2009). Explanatory models of influences on the construction and expression of user satisfaction. Social Science and Medicine 68(11): 2089-2096.
- Medeiros, R.L.M. & Atkinson, S. (2009). Health reform in Ceará the process of decentralization in the 1990s. [A Reforma de Saúde no Ceará o processo de descentralização na década de 1990]. O Público e o Privado 13: 11-27.
- Atkinson, S.J., Cohn, A., Ducci, M.E., Fernandes, L. & Smyth, F. (2008). Promotion and prevention within a decentralized framework: changing health care in Brazil and Chile. International Journal of Health Planning and Management 23(2): 153-171.
- Milligan, C., Atkinson, S., Conradson, D., Skinner, M. & Wiles, J. (2007). Geographies of care - a commentary. NZ Geographer 63: 135-140.
- Atkinson, S. (2007). Telling talking: discourse and practice in context. Critical Policy Analysis 1(2): 184-199.
- Fleuret, S. & Atkinson, S. (2007). Wellbeing, health and geography: a critical review and research agenda. New Zealand Geographer 63(2): 106-118.
- Danichevski, K., Balabanova, D., McKee, D. & Atkinson, S. (2006). The fragmentary federation: experiences with the decentralised health system in Russia. Health Policy and Planning 21(3): 183-194.
- Atkinson, S.J., Cohn, A., Ducci, M.E. & Gideon, J. (2005). Implementation of promotion and prevention activities in decentralized health systems: comparative case studies from Chile and Brazil. Health Promotion International 20(2): 167-175.
- Atkinson, S.J. & Haran, D. (2005). Individual and district scale determinants of users' satisfaction with primary health care in developing countries. Social Science & Medicine 60(3): 501-513.
- Atkinson, S., Fernandes, L., Caprara, A. & Gideon, J. (2005). Prevention and promotion in decentralised rural health systems: a comparative study from Northeast Brazil. Health Policy and Planning 20(2): 69-79.
- Atkinson, S.J. & Haran, D. (2004). Back to basics: does decentralization improve health system performance? Evidence from Ceará in north-east Brazil. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 82(11): 822-827.
- Few, R., Harpham, T. & Atkinson, S. (2003). Urban primary health care in Africa: a comparative analysis of city-wide public sector projects in Lusaka and Dar es Salaam. Health and Place 9(1): 45-53.
- Atkinson, S.J. (2002). Political cultures, health systems and health policy. Social Science & Medicine 55(1): 113-124.
- Atkinson, S. Medeiros, R.L.R. Oliveira, P.H.L. & Almeida, R.D.de (2000). Going down to the local: incorporating social organisation and political culture into assessments of decentralised health care. Social Science and Medicine 51(4): 619-636.
- Coyle, L.A. & Atkinson, S. (2017). “I sometimes refer to myself as having OCD and sometimes refer to myself as having an eating disorder.”. thebmjopinion
- Curtis, Sarah, Congdon, Peter, Atkinson, Sarah, Corcoran, Rhiannon, MaGuire, Rosie & Peasgood, Tessa (2019). Individual and local area factors associated with self-reported wellbeing, perceived social cohesion and sense of attachment to one’s community: analysis of the Understanding Society Survey. What Works Centre for Wellbeing.
- Atkinson, S., Bagnall, A.M., Corcoran, R. & South, J. (2017). What is Community Wellbeing? Conceptual Review. London, What Works Centre for Wellbeing.