Dr Nicholas Bristowe
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nicholas Bristowe’s group investigates structure-property relations in perovskites and related functional materials. He recently joined Durham University, his alma mater, as an Assistant Professor in Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics. His interest in oxide perovskites began during his PhD on the LaAlO3-SrTiO3 interface at the University of Cambridge. He was later awarded a research fellowship from the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851, and subsequently an Imperial College Research Fellowship, to primarily study multiferroic materials. In 2017 he obtained a Lectureship at the University of Kent, before moving to Durham in 2020, and remains an honorary lecturer at Imperial.
- Peters, Jonathan J. P., Bristowe, Nicholas C., Rusu, Dorin, Apachitei, Geanina, Beanland, Richard, Alexe, Marin & Sanchez, Ana M. (2020). Polarization Screening Mechanisms at La0.7Sr0.3MnO3-PbTiO3 Interfaces. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS \& INTERFACES 12(9): 10657-10663.
- Warwick, Andrew R., Iniguez, Jorge, Haynes, Peter D. & Bristowe, Nicholas C. (2019). First-Principles Study of Ferroelastic Twins in Halide Perovskites. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY LETTERS 10(6): 1416-1421.
- Senn, Mark S. & Bristowe, Nicholas C. (2018). A group-theoretical approach to enumerating magnetoelectric and multiferroic couplings in perovskites. ACTA CRYSTALLOGRAPHICA A-FOUNDATION AND ADVANCES 74(4): 308-321.
- Ablitt, Chris, Craddock, Sarah, Senn, Mark S., Mostofi, Arash A. & Bristowe, Nicholas C. (2017). The origin of uniaxial negative thermal expansion in layered perovskites. NPJ COMPUTATIONAL MATERIALS 3: UNSP 44.
- Miao, Naihua, Xu, Bin, Bristowe, Nicholas C., Zhou, Jian & Sun, Zhimei (2017). Tunable Magnetism and Extraordinary Sunlight Absorbance in Indium Triphosphide Monolayer. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 139(32): 11125-11131.
- Varignon, Julien, Bristowe, Nicholas C. & Ghosez, Philippe (2016). Electric Field Control of Jahn-Teller Distortions in Bulk Perovskites. PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 116(5): 057602.
- Lee, Jung-Hoon, Bristowe, Nicholas C., Lee, June Ho, Lee, Sung-Hoon, Bristowe, Paul D., Cheetham, Anthony K. & Jang, Hyun Myung (2016). Resolving the Physical Origin of Octahedral Tilting in Halide Perovskites. CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS 28(12): 4259-4266.
- Senn, Mark S., Murray, Claire A., Luo, Xuan, Wang, Lihai, Huang, Fei-Ting, Cheong, Sang-Wook, Bombardi, Alessandro, Ablitt, Chris, Mostofi, Arash A. & Bristowe, Nicholas C. (2016). Symmetry Switching of Negative Thermal Expansion by Chemical Control. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 138(17): 5479-5482.
- Bristowe, N. C., Varignon, J., Fontaine, D., Bousquet, E. & Ghosez, Ph. (2015). Ferromagnetism induced by entangled charge and orbital orderings in ferroelectric titanate perovskites. NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 6: 6677.
- Bristowe, N. C., Fix, T., Blamire, M. G., Littlewood, P. B. & Artacho, Emilio (2012). Proposal of a One-Dimensional Electron Gas in the Steps at the LaAlO3-SrTiO3 Interface. PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 108(16): 166802.