Dr Raphaela Heesen, PhD
I am interested in comparative research on human and nonhuman great ape communication and social cognition. Specifically, I investigate how communication is used to express emotions and to coordinate joint activities. I am also interested in comparing the structure of communicative repertoires between humans and nonhuman animal species, in particuar nonhuman great apes (applying methods of quantitative linguistics). With such comparative research outputs, I attempt to tackle broader questions related to the evolution of human language, emotion and cooperation.
In my current post-doctoral appointment with Dr Zanna Clay, I combine naturalistic behavioral observations and experimental designs to study differences in expression/perception of emotion in humans and great apes. Our methods involve behavioral coding, paired with diverse psycho-physiological techniques (e.g., thermal imaging, eye-tracking, heart rate measures and galvanic skin conductance).
- Evolution of social intelligence
- Joint action
Chapter in book
- Heesen R., Sievers C., Gruber T. & Clay Z. (Accepted). Primate communication: Affective, intentional, or both? In Primate Cognitive Studies. B. L. Schwartz & M. J. Beran Cambridge University Press.
- Heesen R., Bangerter A., Zuberbühler K., Iglesias K., Neumann C., Pajot A., Perrenoud L., Guéry JP. Rossano F. & Genty E. (2021). Assessing joint commitment as a process in great apes. iScience 24(8): 102872.
- Watson S.K., Heesen R. (Co-first authors) , Hedwig D., Robbins M.M. & Townsend S.W. (2020). An exploration of Menzerath’s law in wild mountain gorilla vocal sequences. Biology Letters 20200380.
- Heesen R., Bangerter A., Zuberbühler K., Rossano F., Iglesias K., Guéry JP. & Genty E. (2020). Bonobos engage in joint commitment. Science Advances 6(51): eabd1306.
- Genty, E., Heesen, R., , Guéry, JP., Rossano, F., Zuberbühler, K., & Bangerter, A. (2020). How apes get into and out of joint actions: Shared intentionality as an interactional achievement. Interaction Studies
- Heesen R., Hobaiter C., Ferrer-i-Cancho R. & Semple S. (2019). Linguistic laws in chimpanzee gestural communication. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 286(1896): 20182900.
- Heesen R., Genty E., Rossano F., Zuberbühler K. & Bangerter A. (2017). Social play as joint action: A framework to study the evolution of shared intentionality as an interactional achievement. Learning & Behavior 45(4): 390.
Available for media contact about:
- 2016: Kölner Gymnasial- und Stiftungsfond Doctoral Scholarship (3,800€)
- 2015: Kölner Gymnasial- und Stiftungsfond Masters Scholarship (4.500€)
- 2012: Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, Bachelor Student Scholarship (5,400€)