Mr. Carlos Larque-lobo-de-castr
Carlos is a PhD student. Writing a thesis entitled “Mandatory bids in the context of takeovers in the United Kingdom and Brazil: A doctrinal and empirical analysis of two diverging models”, he is interested in corporate and securities law, specially in the context of mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions.
He obtained an LLB from the University of the State of Rio de Janeiro Law School and an LLM from the Columbia University Law School in New York.
He is a partner (licensed) at Veirano Advogados law firm in Rio de Janeiro, where he used to be the Head of the Private Equity and Capital Markets Department. He is also a lecturer in corporate and securities laws at the Fundação Getúlio Vargas – FGV Law School in Rio de Janeiro.
Conferences and Presentations
- “Opportunities in the Brazilian Market”, New York University Law School Conference, New York, May 2019
- “Investments in Brazil”, Columbia Law School Conference, New York, May 2018
- “Private equity investments in Brazil”, British Venture Capital Association Conference, London, November 2014
- “Legal Aspects for Private Equity Investments in Brazil”, Brazilian Association of Private Equity & Venture Capital (ABVCAP) Brazilian Breakfast, New York, September 2012
- “Regulatory Framework of the Venture Capital Industry”, Brazilian Association of Private Equity & Venture Capital (ABVCAP) Annual Congress, Brazil, April 2012
- “Infrastructure Investments”, 2nd Annual Latin Lawyer Private Equity Conference, New York, September 2011
- “Debt Capital Markets in Latin America”, The Latin America Asia - Pacific Investors Forum, Latin Finance, Hong Kong, China, February 2011
Under the supervision of Dr Jonathan Mukwiri and Dr Daniel Attenborough, Carlos´ current study is focused on a comparison of the UK and Brazilian regulatory frameworks for mandatory bids in the context of takeovers. The two countries have adopted different models to address the same issue, i.e., the protection of minority shareholders in a situation of change of control. Carlos´s research will pursue an empirical evaluation of the application of the two models within the last 20 years with the objectives of assessing which one is best achieving its purpose and making recommendations for improvements in the regulations of the two countries.
- “Private equity and venture capital investments – Legal and practical considerations”, Chapter 13 in the book “Corporate Finance – Legal and Strategic Aspects” coordinated by Sergio Botrel and Henrique Barbosa, Brazil, Published by Editora Atlas in 2016
- “The evolution of takeovers of public companies in Brazil”, Chapter 9 in the book “Corporate Law – Studies about the Brazilian Corporations Law” coordinated by Alexandre Couto Silva, Brazil, Published by Editora Saraiva in 2013
- “Will the creation of the Brazilian Takeover Panel affect the country´s M&A Practice?”, Financier Worldwide Magazine, UK, November 2013
- “Key Legal Issues for Foreigners in Brazilian M&A Transactions”, China Business Law Journal, China, December 2012
- “Private Equity & Venture Capital - Annual Review”, Financier Worldwide Magazine, UK, October 2012
- “Restrictions on Corporate Acquisitions”, Brasil Econômico Journal, Brazil, September 2012
- “The Acquisition of a Minority Stake in Listed Companies and the Incidence of Takeover Bids (OPAs)”, Capital Aberto Magazine, Brazil, August 2012
- “Roadmap for Private Equity Investments in Brazil”, The American Lawyer Magazine, United States, January 2012
- “Takeovers Move Away from Traditional Models”, Capital Aberto Magazine, Brazil, August 2011
- “Recent Trends in M&A Transactions”, Financier Worldwide Magazine, UK, 2009
- Corporate Law
- Securities Law
- Comparative Law
- Corporate Governance