Prof. Jas Pal S. Badyal, FRS
(email at email@example.com)
Cambridge University: BA/MA Natural Sciences (1982-85); PhD Surface Science (1985-1988); King's College Fellowship (1988-1989); Oppenheimer Fellowship (1988-1989).
Durham University: Lecturer (1989-1996); Full Professor (1996-present).
Research Outputs: 165 peer reviewed journal publications; 35 first named inventor patents; 67 plenary / invited lectures at international conferences; 3 start-up companies (Surface Innovations Ltd, Dow Corning Plasma Ltd, P2i Ltd).
Designing functionalised surfaces forms the basis of a multi-billion dollar global industry. For example, the cleanliness of optical lenses, the resistance of biomedical devices to bacteria, the speed of computer hard disks, and even the wear of car brake pads are all governed by their surface chemistry. We are interested in devising novel functional surfaces for commercial applications and to help alleviate poverty in developing countries (clean drinking water, solar harvesting, etc). Current topics of investigation include:
Industrial Support and Start-Up Companies
Many of these projects involve collaboration with industry. In addition, the following start-up companies have been set up to commercialise patented research from Professor Badyal's laboratory:
- Surface Innovations Ltd
- Dow Corning Plasma Ltd (Invexus)
- P2i Ltd (2015 International Business Award for 'Most Innovative Company in Europe')
- Beyond the Surface, J. P. S. Badyal, Chemistry in Britain, 2001, 37, 45.
- Re-Writable DNA Microarrays, W. C. E. Schofield, J. McGettrick, T. J. Bradley, S. Przyborski, and J. P. S. Badyal, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2006, 128, 2280.
- Multi-Functional Molecular Scratchcards, L. G. Harris, W. C. E. Schofield, and J. P. S. Badyal, Chemistry of Materials, 2007, 19, 1546.
- Rewritable Glycochips, L. G. Harris, W. C. E. Schofield, K. J. Doores, B.G. Davis, and J. P. S. Badyal, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2009, 131, 7755.
- 3-Dimensional Hierarchical Structures for Fog Harvesting, H. G. Andrews, E. A. Eccles, W. C. E. Schofield, and J. P. S. Badyal, Langmuir, 2011, 27, 3798.
- A Combined Plasmachemical and Emulsion Templating Approach for Actuated Macroporous Scaffolds, S. Morsch, T. J. Wood, W. C. E. Schofield, and J. P. S. Badyal, Advanced Functional Materials, 2012, 22, 313.
- Ultra-Fast Oleophobic-Hydrophilic Switching Surfaces for Anti-Fogging, Self-Cleaning, and Oil-Water Separation, P. S. Brown, O. Atkinson, and J. P. S. Badyal, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2014, 6, 7504.
- Bioinspired Breathable Architecture for Water Harvesting, R. M. von
Spreckelsen, M. T. Harris, J. M. Wigzell, R. C. Fraser, A. Carletto, D. P. K.Mosquin, D. Justice, and J. P. S. Badyal, Nature Scientific Reports, 2015, 5,16798.
- The Leading Edge of Impact: Shining Examples of UK Research – Top Notch Protection, Nature 2015, 519, No. 7544.
Department of Chemistry
- Soft Matter and Interfaces
- Functional Surfaces and Surface Science
Available for media contact about:
- Industry: Chemicals, plastics, oil & gas: plasma chemistry
- Industry: Chemicals, plastics, oil & gas: coatings
- Industry: Chemicals, plastics, oil & gas: surfaces
- Chemistry: plasma chemistry
- Chemistry: coatings
- Chemistry: surfaces