Professor Sana Salous, BEE MSc PhD FIET SMIEEE
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Professor Salous started her academic career in 1984-1988 as an Assistant Professor at Yarmouk University, Jordan. After working at Liverpool University as Research Associate, in 1989 she joined the Department of Electrical Engineering & Electronics at UMIST as a lecturer, where she was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2000 and Reader in 2002. In 2003 she joined Durham University where she currently holds the Chair in Communication Engineering.
- International Chair of Commission C on Radiocommunication Systems and Signal Processing of the International Union of Radio Science, (URSI)
- Associate Editor of Radio Science, American Geophysical Union
- Associate Editor of Communications Systems, John Wiley
In April 2013 Professor Salous launched her book on ‘Radio Propagation Measurement and Channel Modelling’ published by Wiley.
The book begins with an explanation of the fundamentals of radio wave propagation and progress through a series of topics, including the measurement of radio channel characteristics, radio channel sounders, measurement strategies, data analysis techniques and radio channel modelling. Application of results for the prediction of achievable digital link performance is discussed with examples pertinent to single carrier, multi-carrier and spread spectrum radio links. This work addresses specifics of communications in various different frequency bands for both long range and short range fixed and mobile radio links.
School of Engineering and Computing Sciences
- Cognitive radio
- Design of radio channel sounders and radar systems
- Radar imaging
- Radio channel characterisation for onbody and small cells at 60 GHz
- Radio channel measurements above-6 GHz bands
- Radio propagation studies for long range communications via slywave
- Through wall radar
- Wireless communications for mobile radio applications
Digital and Radio Communication(20 hours/year.)
Signal Processing(20 hours/year.)
- Radio Propagation Measurements (15 hours/year.)
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana, Liu, Liu & Tan, Zhenhui (2016). A LTE-Based Channel Measurement Method for High-Speed Railway Communications. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 65(1): 25-36.
- Cheema, A. & Salous, S. (2016). Digital FMCW for ultrawideband spectrum sensing. Radio Science 51(8): 1413-1420.
- Salous, S., Degli Esposti, V., Fuschini, F., Dupleich, D., Müller, R., Thomä, R. S., Haneda, K., Molina-Garcia-Pardo, J.M., Pascual-Garcia, J., Gaillot, D. P., Nekovee, M. & Hur, S. (2016). Millimeter-Wave Propagation: Characterization and modeling toward fifth-generation systems. [Wireless Corner]. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine 58(6): 115-127.
- Lin, Bao Lin Sun, Xiaoyan & Salous, Sana (2016). Solving Travelling Salesman Problem with an Improved Hybrid Genetic Algorithm. Journal of Computer and Communications 04(15): 98.
- Zhou, T., Tao, C., Salous, S. & Liu, L. (2016). Spatial characterization for high speed railway channels based on moving virtual array measurement scheme. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters 1.
- Salous, Sana, Feeney, Stuart, Raimundo, Xavier & Cheema, Adnan (2016). Wideband MIMO channel sounder for radio measurements in the 60 GHz band. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 15(4): 2825-2832.
- Zhang, Z., Zhu, J. & Salous, S. (2015). A Novel Dwelling Time Design Method For Low Probability Of Intercept In A Complex Radar Network. International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics 10(4): 310-319.
- Zhang, Zhenkai, Salous, Sana, Li, Hailin & Tian, Yubo (2015). An Opportunistic Array Beamforming Technique Based on Binary Multiobjective Wind Driven Optimization Method. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation 2015 : 495879.
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana, Liu, Liu & Tan, Zhenhui (2015). Channel characterization in high-speed railway station environments at 1.89 GHz. Radio Science 50(11): 1176-1186.
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana, Liu, Liu & Tan, Zhenhui (2015). Channel Sounding for High-Speed Railway Communication Systems. IEEE Communications Magazine 53(10): 70-77.
- Zhou, Tao, Tao, Cheng, Salous, Sana, Tan, Zhenhui, Liu, Liu & Tian, Li (2015). Graph-based stochastic model for high-speed railway cutting scenarios. IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation 9(15): 1691-1697.
- Zhang, Zhenkai, Salous, Sana, Li, Hailin & Tian, Yubo (2015). Optimal coordination method of opportunistic array radars for multi-target-tracking-based radio frequency stealth in clutter. Radio Science 50(11): 1187-1196
- Fioranelli, F., Salous, S., Ndip, I. & Raimundo, X. (2015). Through-The-Wall Detection With Gated FMCW Signals Using Optimized Patch-Like and Vivaldi Antennas. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 63(3): 1106-1117.
- Fioranelli, F., Salous, S. & Raimundo, X. (2014). Frequency-Modulated Interrupted Continuous Wave as Wall Removal Technique in Through-the-Wall Imaging. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 52(10): 6272-6283
- Weng, Jialai, Tu, Xiaoming, Lai, Zhihua, Salous, Sana & Zhang, Jie (2014). Indoor Massive MIMO Channel Modelling Using Ray-Launching Simulation. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation 2014: 279380.
- Xiang Cheng, Cheng-Xiang Wang, David I. Laurenson, Sana Salous & Athanasios V. Vasilakos (2011). New deterministic and stochastic simulation models for non-isotropic scattering mobile-to-mobile Rayleigh fading channels. Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing 11(7): 829-842.
- Zhe Wang & Sana Salous (2011). Spectrum Occupancy Statistics and Time Series Models for Cognitive Radio. Journal of Signal Processing Systems 62(2): 145-155.
- Abdallah M. Feeney, S.M., Salous, S. & Lewenz, R. (2010). Design and calibration of circular uniform beam array for wideband channel characterisation. IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation 4(1): 43-53.
- Gunashekar, S.D., Warrington, E.M., Feeney, S.M., Salous, S. & Abbasi, N.M. (2010). MIMO communications within the HF band using compact antenna arrays. Radio Science 45(6): RS6013.
- Xiang Cheng, Cheng-Xiang Wang, David Laurenson, Sana Salous & Anthanasios Vasilakos (2009). An adaptive geometry-based stochastic model for non-isotropic MIMO mobile-to-mobile channels. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 8(9): 4824-4835.
- H. Gokalp, G.Y. Taflan & S. Salous (2009). In-band interference reduction in FMCW channel data using Prony modelling. Electronics Letters 45(2): 132-133.
- S. D. Gunashekar, E. M. Warrington, S. Salous, S. M. Feeney, N. M. Abbasi, & L. Bertel, D. Lemur, and M. Oger (2009). Investigations into the feasibility of multiple input multiple output techniques within the HF band: Preliminary results. Radio Science 44(RS0A19): 1-15.
- Gunashekar, S.D. Warrington, E. Michael Strangeways, Hal J., Erhel, Y., Salous, S., Feeney, S.M., Abbasi, N.M., Bertel, L., Lemur, D., Marie, F. & Oger, M. (2009). Utilization of antenna arrays in HF systems. Annals of Geophysics 52 (3/4)(3/4): 323-338.
- N. Razavi-Ghods & S. Salous (2009). Wideband MIMO channel characterisation in TV studios and inside buildings in the 2.2-2.5 GHz frequency band. Radio Science 44(5): 1-13.
- Michail Matthaiou1, Nima Razavi-Ghods, David I. Laurenson & Sana Salous (2008). Dual frequency MIMO measurements in the 2.26–2.5 GHz band. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing 8(5): 607-614.
- K. Khokhar S. Salous (2008). Frequency domain simulator for mobile radio channels and for IEEE 802.16-2004 standard using measured channels. IET Communications 2(7): 869-877.
- Salous S.,, Feeney S.,, Khokhar K., & Lewenz R. (2008). Measurements of radio channels and bit error rate estimation of IEEE802.16 standard in semi-rural environment at three frequencies in the 2–6 GHz frequency band. IET Communications 2(7): 878-885.
- Salous, S. & Gokalp, H. (2007). Medium- and large-scale characterization of UMTS-allocated frequency division duplex channels. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 56(5): 2831-2843.
- Salous, S., Filippidis, P., Lewenz, R., Hawkins, I., Razavi-Ghods, N. & Abdallah, M. (2005). Parallel receiver channel sounder for spatial and MIMO characterisation of the mobile radio channel. IEE proceedings communications 152(6): 912-918.
- Salous, S. & Hinostroza, V. (2005). Wideband indoor frequency agile channel sounder and measurements. IEE proceedings microwaves, antennas and propagation 152(6): 573-580.
- Arikan, F., Arikan, O. & Salous, S. (2002). A new algorithm for high-quality ionogram generation and analysis. Radio science 37(1): 1004.
- Salous, S. & Gokalp, H. (2002). Dual-frequency sounder for UMTS frequency-division duplex channels. IEE proceedings communications 149(2): 117-122.
- Salous, Sana; (Accepted), Multi-band multi-antenna chirp channel sounder for frequencies above 6 GHz, 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP). Davos, IEEE Conference publication, 1.
- Raimundo, Xavier; Salous, Sana & Cheema, Adnan (2016), Indoor radio propagation measurements in the V-band, Radio Propagation and Technologies for 5G (2016). Durham UK, IET Conference publications, 5 (5).
- Salous, S. & Gao, Y. (2016), Wideband measurements in indoor and outdoor environments in the 30 GHz and 60 GHz bands, 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP). 1.
- Weng,Jialai, Tu, Xiaoming Lai, Zhihua, Salous, Sana & Zhang, Jie (2015), Modelling the mmWave channel based on intelligent ray launching model, The 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP'2015. Lisbon, IEEE.
- Oghre & Salous (2014), BER performance evaluation of HF MIMO spatial multiplexing systems, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). Beijing China, IEEE, Beijing, 1.
- Raimundo, Xavier, Salous, Sana & Fioranelli, Francesco (2014), Frequency Modulated Interrupted Continuous Wave Signals in Different Radar Imaging Applications, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). Beijing China, IEEE, Beijing, 1.
- Cheema, A. A. & Salous, S. (2014), High resolution temporal occupancy measurements to characterize idle time window in ISM band, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). 1.
- Salous, S, Cheema, A.A. & Raimundo, X (2014), Radio channel propagation measurements using a multiband agile chirp sounder, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). Beijing China, IEEE, Beijing, 1.
- Salous, Sana (2014), Radio propagation studies and spectrum sensing, IET Colloquium on Antennas, Wireless and Electromagnetics 2014. London, IET, 8.
- Salous, S & Thoma, R (2014), State of the art mobile radio channel sounding and data analysis, 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS). Beijing China, IEEE, Beijing, 1.
- Salous, S & Hinostroza, V (2002). Bi-dynamic indoor measurements with high resolution channel sounder. I E E E.