Dr Richard McWilliam, MEng PhD
(email at email@example.com)
Richard McWilliam is a research associate in the School of Engineering. He completed a degree in engineering (MEng Electrical & Electronic) at Aberdeen University (1995). He moved to Durham University where he studied for a PhD in Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology in the School of Engineering (2003). He then took a Research Associate position in the Centre for Electronic Systems at Durham, where he works on hologram design and non-planar lithography methods for the 3D Interconnect project.
His research interests include novel low power radio communication systems (especially those employing passive transponder configurations), Computer Generated Holography(CGH) and large scale computation methods for CGH. He is currently involved in the design of a novel 3D proximity alignment tool for non-planar lithography.
Further information: http://www.dur.ac.uk/r.p.mcwilliam/
- McWilliam, Richard, Schiefer, Philipp & Purvis, Alan (2015). Building Dependable Electronic Systems for Autonomous Maintenance. In Through-life Engineering Services. Redding, Louis & Roy, Rajkumar Springer International Publishing. 375-394.
Journal papers: academic
- Schiefer, Philipp, McWilliam, Richard & Purvis, Alan (2014). Fault Tolerant Quadded Logic Cell Structure with Built-in Adaptive Time Redundancy. Procedia CIRP 22: 127-131.
- Schiefer, Philipp, McWilliam, Richard & Purvis, Alan (2014). Self-healing Fuel Pump Controller Mapped into Memory Based Finite State Machine. Procedia CIRP 22: 132-137.
- Cavalcante, Tássio Côrtes, McWilliam, Richard & Purvis, Alan (2014). The Design of Reliable Circuits Using Logic Redundancy. Procedia CIRP 22: 138-141.
- Bell, Colin, McWilliam, Richard, Purvis, Alan & Tiwari, Ashutosh (2013). Concepts of self-repairing systems. Measurement and Control 46(6): 176-179.
- Schiefer, Philipp, McWilliam, Richard & Purvis, Alan (2013). Creating a Self-configuring Finite State Machine out of Memory Look-up Tables. Procedia CIRP 11: 363-366.
- McWilliam, Richard, Schiefer, Philipp & Purvis, Alan (2013). Demonstration of a Self-recovering ALU Using a Convergent Cellular Automata. Procedia CIRP 11: 373-378.
- Frei, Regina, Mcwilliam, Richard, Derrick, Benjamin, Purvis, Alan, Tiwari, Ashutosh & Di Marzo Serugendo, Gioavanna (2013). Self-healing and self-repairing technologies. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 69(5-8): 1033-1061.
- Jones, D.H., McWilliam, R. & Purvis, A. (2011). Convergence and feedback: a framework for cellular automata design. Journal of Cellular Automata 6(4-5): 399-416.
- Toriz-Garcia, Jesus J., Williams, Gavin L., McWilliam, Richard., Curry, Richard., Seed, N. L., Purvis, Alan. & Ivey, Peter A. (2010). Controlled-width track in through silicon via using 3D holographic photolithography with modified electrodepositable photoresist. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 20(1): 015012.
- Jones, David, McWilliam, Richard & Purvis, Alan (2008). Designing convergent cellular automata. Biosystems 96(1): 80-85.
- Purvis, Alan., McWilliam, Richard., Johnson, Simon., Seed, N., Williams, Gavin., Maiden, Andrew. & Ivey, Peter. (2007). Photolithographic Patterning of Bi-Helical Tracks onto Conical Substrates. Journal of Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS and MOEMS 6(4): 043015.
- McWilliam, R. & Purvis, A. (2006). Potential Uses of Embedded RFID in Appliance Identification. International Appliance Manufacturing 10: 100-107.
- Williams, G.L., Seed, N.L., Purvis, A., Maiden, A., McWilliam, R., Ivey, P.A. & Johnson, S. (2005). Non-Planar Interconnect. Circuit World 31(2): 10-14.
- Maiden, A., McWilliam, R., Purvis, A., Johnson, S., Williams, G. L., Seed, N. L. & Ivey, P. A. (2005). Nonplanar photolithography with computer-generated holograms. Optics letters 30(11): 1300-1302.
Book chapters: online
- Jones, David H., McWilliam, Richard. & Purvis, Alan. (2011). Design of Self-Assembling, Self-Repairing 3D Irregular Cellular Automata. In Cellular Automata - Innovative Modelling for Science and Engineering. Alejandro Salcido InTech. 373-394.
- Jones, David, McWilliam, Richard. & Purvis, Alan. (2010). Design of a self-assembling, repairing and reconfiguring Arithmetic Logic Unit. In New Advanced Technologies. Aleksandar Lazinica Vienna, Austria: Intech Education and Publishing. 161-176.
- McWilliam, Richard & Purvis, Alan (2013), Strategies for self-repairing electronic systems, 2nd EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference. Cranfield University.
- McWilliam, R, Frei, R, Schiefer, P, Purvis, A, Tiwari, A & Zhu, M (2012), Self-repair technologies for maintenance-free mechanical and electronic components and subsystems, 1st EPSRC Conference on Manufacturing the Future. Loughborough, England, EPSRC.
- McWilliam, R, Purvis, A, Jones, D, Schiefer, P, Frei, R, Tiwari, A & Zhu, M (2012), Self-repairing Electronic Logic Units Based on Convergent Cellular Automata, 1st International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services. Shrivenham, England, Cranfield University Press, 353-360.
- McWilliam, R (2012), Self-repairing electronic systems, IeMRC Research to Industry (R2i) Electronics Conference: connecting research to industry. Loughborough, England.
- Soulard, F., McWilliam, R., Williams, G., Toriz-Garcia, J., Purvis, A. & Seed, N. (2011), Fabricating non-planar antenna structures by a novel 3-D holographic photolithography method, Second UK URSI Festival of Radio Science. University of Leicester, UK.
- Soulard, F., McWilliam R., Cowling J., Purvis A., Williams G., Seed N. L., Toriz-Garcia J. & Ivey, P. (2011), Holographic recording of vertical surfaces, Digital Holography and Three-Dimensional Imaging (DH). Tokyo, Japan, Optical Society of America.
- McWilliam, Richard & Purvis, Alan (2011), Orientation and Field Dampening: Key Physical Factors for Harsh-Environment Passive RFID, RFID Europe 2011. Cambridge, UK, IdTechEx.
- Jones, David., McWilliam, Richard. & Purvis, Alan. (2009), Mimicking Morphogenesis for Robust Behaviour of Cellular Architectures, BioNanoTechnologies Meeting. Durham, UK, British Biophysical Society (BBS).
- Jones, David., Purvis, Alan. & McWilliam, Richard. (2009), Model and Application of the Community Effect, UK Synthetic Biology, Systems Biology and Bioinformatics 2009. University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England..
- McWilliam, Richard., Purvis Alan. , Curry Richard., Williams, Gavin., Seed, Luke., Ivey, Peter. & Toriz-Garcia, Jesus. (2008), 3D maskless holographic photolithography using spatial light modulators, Illumination, Imaging and Projection 2nd International Photonics Cluster Summer School. Adlershof, Berlin, OptecBB.
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Purvis, A., Toriz-Garcia, J.J., Cowling, J.J., Williams, G.L., Seed, N.L., McWilliam, R., Soulard, F.B. & Ivey, P.A. (2014). Holographic Lithography. Imaging and Applied Optics 2014, Hawaii, Optical Society of America.
- Laskin, Alexander, Williams, Gavin & Richard, McWilliam (2010). Applying refractive beam shapers to improve other beam shaping techniques. Laser Beam Shaping XI, San Diego, California, USA, SPIE.
- Williams, G., Toriz-Garcia, J., McWilliam, R., Seed, L., Purvis, A. & Ivey, P. (2010). Holographic Photolithography for 3D Integration. Design, Automation & Test in Europe (DATE) 2010, Dresden, Germany, EDAA.
- McWilliam, Richard., Purvis, Alan., Williams, Gavin L., Toritz-Garcia, J., Seed, Luke, N. & Ivey, Peter, A. (2009). High fidelity microlithography patterning using computer generated holograms. Digital holography and three-dimensional Imaging (DH), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, The Optical Society, 2010 Massachusetts, Washington DC.
- Williams, Gavin L., McWilliam, Richard., Toriz-Garcia, Jesus., Curry, Richard., Maiden, Andrew., Seed, Luke N., Purvis, Alan. & Ivey, Peter A. (2008). A photolithographic process for grossly non-planar substrates. Advanced Lithography, San Jose, CA, USA, SPIE.
- Jones, David, McWilliam, Richard & Purvis, Alan (2008). Mimicking morphogenesis for robust behaviour of cellular architectures. International Conference on Biosciences and Bioengineering 2008, Venice, Italy, World Academy of Science Engineering and Technology.
- McWilliam, R., Purvis, A., Johnson, S., Maiden, A., Williams, G., Seed, L. & Ivey, P. (2006). Non-Planar Photolithography Using Digital Holograms. Frontiers in Optics 2006 Laser Science XXII, Rochester, New York, Optical Society of America.
- Ivey, P.A., McWilliam, R., Maiden, A., Williams, G.L., Purvis, A. & Seed, N.L. (2006). Photolithography on Three Dimensional Substrates. 56th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC 2006), San Diego, California, IEEE.
- Williams, G. L., McWilliam, R., Maiden, A., Purvis, A., Ivey, P. A. & Seed, N. L. (2005). Photolithography on grossly non-planar substrates. Proceedings of 7th IEEE CPMT Conference on High Density Microsystem Design, Packaging and Failure Analysis, Shanghai, China.
- McWilliam, R. & Purvis, A. (2002). Mains Appliance Identification for Electrical Safety Test System. Proc. 6th International Symposium on Power-Line Communications and its Applications, Athens, Greece.
- McWilliam, R. & Purvis, A. (2002). The Potential for Software Radio Techniques in Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology. EPSRC PREP 2002, 4th Conference on Postgraduate Research in Electronics, Photonics, Communications and Software, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, England, EPSRC.
Edited works: journals
- Toriz-Garcia, J. J., Cowling, J. J., Williams, G. L., Bai, Q., Seed, N. L., Tennant, A., McWilliam, R., Purvis, A., Soulard, F. B. & Ivey, P. A. (2013). Fabrication of a 3D electrically small antenna using holographic photolithography. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 23 (5): IOP Publishing.
- Cowling, J.J., Williams, G.L., Purvis, A., McWilliam, R., Toriz-Garcia, J.J., Seed, N.L., Soulard, F.B. & Ivey, P.A. (2011). Three-dimensional holographic lithography by an iterative algorithm. Optics Letters, 36 (13): Optical Society of America.
- Toriz-Garcia, J.J., Williams, G.L., McWilliam, R., Seed, N.L., Purvis, A., Soulard, F.B., Cowling, J.J. & Ivey P.A. (2011). Vertical tracks on the sidewall of a silicon die using 3D holographic photolithography. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 21 (8): Institute of Physics.
- Cowling, J., Purvis, A., McWilliam, R., Soulard, F.B., Williams, G., Seed, N.L. & Toriz-Garcia, J. (2011). Improvements In Or Relating To Holography. Application filed: 15 March 2011. Granted: 15 March 2011
- Purvis, Alan., McWilliam, Richard., Maiden, Andrew., Johnson, Simon., Ivey, Peter., Williams, Gavin. & Seed, N. Luke. (2009). Holographic lithography using geometrical shapes. GB2419501. Application filed: 26 April 2006. Granted: 23 December 2009
- Jones, David., Purvis, Alan. & McWilliam, Richard. (2009). Self-repairing Electronic Data System. WO2009098521. Application filed: 7 February 2008. Granted: 30 November 1999
- Purvis, Alan., McWilliam, Richard., Curry, Richard., Maiden Andrew., Williams, Gavin., Seed, Luke., Toriz-Garcia, Jesus. & Ivey, Peter. (2009). Sub-Micron 3d Holographic Lithography. PCT/GB2009/050945. Application filed: 20 July 2009. Granted: 30 November 1999
- McWilliam, R. (2003). Electronic Identification Systems for Asset Management. School of Engineering. Durham University. PhD.