Prof. W. James Feast, CBE, FRS
(email at email@example.com)
Professor Feast reached formal retirement age in 2003 and now works chiefly from home as an Emeritus Professor. He no longer runs a group and he does not recruit graduate students or post doctoral co- workers.
His interests are concerned with functional organic materials: design, synthesis, characterization and properties, including:
- Materials with novel electrical, magnetic and optical properties;
- Novel topologies, dendrimers and hyperbranched polymers;
- Self ordering systems;
Control of size, stereochemistry and organization in established and novel polymers leads to control of properties and function. Professor Feast's group made contributions to this theme including:
- synthesis of stereoblock copolymers via ligand exchange at the active chain end of a living ROMP system;
- demonstration that the mechanical properties of blends of dendritic and linear polymers are very sensitive functions of the size of the dendrimer;
- synthesis of self-ordering polyene and oligothiophene systems displaying enhanced charge carrier mobilities;
- demonstration that solid state photoluminescence efficiency is a sensitive function of cis/trans ratio in poly(arylene vinylene)s;
- control of branching ratio in an AB2 addition polymerisation, leading to dendritic solution behaviour.
- Synthesis of chiral self assembling sexithiophenes
- Insights into the long term stability of electroactive materials and the importance of high purities.
- Chiral Amphiphilic Self-Assembled α,α'-Linked Quinque-, Sexi-, and Septithiophenes: Synthesis, Stability and Odd-Even Effects, O.Henze, W.J. Feast, F. Gardebien, P. Jonkheijm, R. Lazzaroni, Ph. Leclère, E.W. Meijer and A.P.H.J. Schenning, J. Am. Chem.Soc, 128, 5923-5929 (2006).
- Anharmonic Magnetic Deformation of Self-Assembled Molecular Nanocapsules, O.V. Manyuhina, I.O. Shklyarevskiy, P. Jonkheim, P.C.M. Christianen , A. Fasolino, M.I. Katsnelson, A.P.H.J. Schenning, E.W. Meijer, O.Henze, A.F.M. Kilbinger, W.J. Feast and J.C. Mann, Phys. Rev. Letters, 98, 146101 (2007).
- Observations on the adherence of Proteus mirabilis onto polymer surfaces, D.J. Stickler, J.C. Lear, N.S. Morris, S.M. Macleod, A. Downer, D.H. Cadd and W.J. Feast, J. App. Microbiology, 100(5), 1028-1033 (2008).
- The role of heterogeneous nucleation in the self-assembly of oligothiphenes, M.Wolffs, P.A. Korevaar, P. Jonkheim, O. Henze, W.J. Feast, M. Cavallini, F. Biscarini, A.P.H.J. Schenning and E.W. Meijer, Chem.Comm., 4613-4615 (2008).
- Synthesis and thermal studies of aliphatic polyurethane dendrimers: a geometric approach to the Flory-Fox equation for dendrimer glass transition temperatures, A.Stoddart, W.J. Feast and S.P. Rannard, Soft Matter, 8, 1096-1108 (2012)
- Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerisation in the Synthesis of Conjugated Polymers, W.J. Feast in Polymer Science: a Comprehensive Reference, Amsterdam, Elsevier BV, Eds K. Matyjaszewski and M. Möller, Vol 4, 661-678 (2012).
- Crystal growth control
- Electroactive polymers
- Polymer synthesis and characterisation
- Polymers with novel topologies, hyperbranched and dendritic systems
- Ring opening metathesis polymerisation
- Kunamaneni, S., Buzza, D.M.A., Read, D.J., Parker, D., Kenwright, A.M., Feast, W.J. & Larsen, A.L. (2006). Entanglement transition of randomly branched polymers in the hyperbranched class. Macromolecules 39(19): 6720-6736.
- Surin, M., Leclere, P., de Feyter, S., Abdel-Mottaleb, M.M.S., de Schryver, F.C., Henze, O., Feast, W.J. & Lazzaroni, R. (2006). Molecule-molecule versus molecule-substrate interactions in the assembly of oligothiophenes at surfaces. Journal of physical chemistry B 110(15): 7898-7908.
- Stickler, D.J., Lear, J.C., Morris, N.S., Macleod, S.M., Downer, A., Cadd, D.H. & Feast, W.J. (2006). Observations on the adherence of Proteus mirabilis onto polymer surfaces. Journal of applied microbiology 100(5): 1028-1033.
- S. Westenhoff, A. Abrusci, W.J. Feast, O. Henze, A.F.M. Kilbinger, A. Schenning & C. Silva (2006). Supramolecular electronic coupling in chiral oligothiophene nanostructnres. Advanced materials 18(10): 1281-1285.
- Feast, W.J., Gimeno, M. & Kenwright, A.M. (2006). Synthesis and radical polymerization of 1,1-difluoro-2-vinylcyclopropane a reexamination and structural reassignment. Macromolecules 39(12): 4076-4080.
- Feast, W.J., Gimeno, M. & Kenwright, A.M. (2006). Synthesis and radical ring opening behaviour of 1,1-difluoro-2-heptyl-2-vinylcyclopropane and some of its isomers. Journal of flourine chemistry 127(12): 1533-1539.
- A.P. Narrainen, L.R. Hutchings, W.J. Feast, R.L. Thompson, I.A. Ansari & N. Clarke (2006), Fluorocarbon end-functionalized polymers from poly(arylether) dendritic initiators, 231: 8th Conference on Macromolecules - Polymers for Africa. La Pirogue, MAURITANIA, La Pirogue, 103-109.
- W.J. Feast (2006), Synthesis and self assembly of chiral oligothiophenes: Recent developments in the Durham-Eindhoven collaboration, 231: 231st National Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society. Atlanta, GA, Atlanta GA.
Available for media contact about:
- Industry & University: Director, Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Polymer Science & Technology
- Industry & University: polymer synthesis specifically/polymer science generally
- Industry: Chemicals, plastics, oil & gas: Director, Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Polymer Science & Technology
- Industry: Chemicals, plastics, oil & gas: polymer synthesis specifically/polymer science generally
- Chemistry: Director, Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Polymer Science & Technology
- Chemistry: polymer synthesis specifically/polymer science generally