Dr Madeleine Humphreys
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
My research is in igneous petrology, volcanology and magmatism, with a focus on understanding processes of magma storage, chemical evolution and migration within the crust using both natural materials and experimental approaches. My current research interests include (i) using crystal textures to understand and quantify magma solidifcation and the physical behaviour of crystal mushes, and (ii) volatiles in volcanic processes, including the timing of fluid exsolution and the enrichment and migration of metals in volcanic settings.
Current and recent research projects include:
- using crystal textures combined with apatite geochemistry to interpret crystal mush behaviour in the lead-up to big eruptions (ERC Consolidator; PI)
- using plagioclase crystal textures to understand mush processes in intermediate arc magmatic systems (NERC; PI)
- defining speciation and structural environments for metals and volatiles complexes in silicate melts (in collaboration with Alex Iveson; Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship)
- exploiting volatile diffusion in apatite to monitor magmatic processes and timescales (NERC; led by Dr Richard Brooker, University of Bristol)
- developing the use of apatite as a tool to understand and quantitatively interpret the pre-eruptive evolution of volatiles in magma (NERC; PI)
We have a very active volcanology-petrology group in Durham. Currently working with me are: (i) Dr Martin Mangler, working on plagioclase-rich crystal mushes in subduction zone magmas; (ii) Dr Alex Iveson (Leverhulme Early Career Fellow), working on halogens and trace elements in evolved melts; and (iii) Dr Charline Lormand, who is working on the behaviour of volatiles in apatite.
Current PhD students include Madeleine Stow, who is working on transition metal stable isotope fractionation in granites (primary supervisor Julie Prytulak); Kris Sokól (St Andrews) who is working on fenite alteration around alkaline intrusions (primary supervisor Adrian Finch); Annabelle Foster, who is working on sintering textures in obsidian (primary supervisor Fabian Wadsworth); and Ceri Allgood, who is working on textures and experiments related to dyke propagation and flow (primary supervisor Ed Llewellin). MScR student Eshbal Geifman has been conducting high-temperature crystallisation experiments using a microscope-mounted heating stage.
I am always happy to hear from potential graduate students or post-docs interested in developing projects at Durham.
Two fully funded PhD studentships available!
Two fully funded PhD studentships are available through ERC-STEMMS project on magma mush storage and eruption. The projects are funded for 3.5 years starting from October 2022 with stipend and fees paid at the UK rate (see here for further information). Please get in touch by email for any informal enquiries.
To apply: Please send (i) a CV, (ii) covering letter explaining why you want to apply for the project and what skills and experience you would bring to it, and (iii) a personal statement of your research interests, to email@example.com by 19th January 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview during late January/ early February 2022.
PhD 1 A crystal's eye view on mushy magma storage and remobilisation
PhD 2 The plutonic record of crystal mush storage and solidification
Department of Earth Sciences
- Geochemistry Research Group
- Volcanology Research Group
- L3 Volcanology and Magmatism (GEOL3051)
Chapter in book
- Plail, M., Barclay, J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M., Herd, R.A. & Christopher, T.E. (2014). Characterization of mafic enclaves in the erupted products of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, 2009 to 2010. In The Eruption of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Wadge, G., Robertson, R.E.A. & Voight, B. The Geological Society of London. 39: 343-360.
- Christopher, T., Humphreys, M.C.S., Barclay, J., Genareau, K., De Angelis, S.M.H., Plail, M. & Donovan, A. (2014). Petrological and geochemical variation during the Soufrière Hills eruption, 1995 to 2010. In The Eruption of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Wadge, G., Robertson, R.E.A. & Voight, B. The Geological Society of London. 39: 317-342.
- Edmonds, M., Humphreys, M.C.S., Hauri, E., Herd, R., Wadge, G., Rawson, H., Ledden, R., Plail, M., Barclay, J., Aiuppa, A., Christopher, T., Giudice, G. & Guida, R. (2014). Pre-eruptive vapour and its role in controlling eruption style and longevity at Soufriere Hills Volcano. In The Eruption of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Wadge, G., Robertson, R.E.A. & Voight, B. The Geological Society of London. 39: 291-315.
- Coumans, J.P., Llewellin, E.W., Wadsworth, F.B., Humphreys, M.C.S., Mathias, S.A., Yelverton, B.M. & Gardner, J.E. (2020). An experimentally validated numerical model for bubble growth in magma. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 402: 107002.
- Coumans, Jason P, Llewellin, Ed W, Humphreys, Madeleine C, Nowak, Marcus, Brooker, Richard A, Mathias, Simon A & McIntosh, Iona M (2020). An experimentally-validated numerical model of diffusion and speciation of water in rhyolitic silicate melt. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 276: 219-238.
- Blundy, Jon, Melekhova, Elena, Ziberna, Luca, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S., Cerantola, Valerio, Brooker, Richard A., McCammon, Catherine A., Pichavant, Michel & Ulmer, Peter (2020). Effect of redox on Fe–Mg–Mn exchange between olivine and melt and an oxybarometer for basalts. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 175(11): 103.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Zhang, J., Cooper, G.F., Macpherson, C.G. & Ottley, C.J. (2019). Identifying the ingredients of hydrous arc magmas: insights from Mt Lamington, Papua New Guinea. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 377(2139): 20180018.
- Humphreys, Madeleine C. S., Cooper, George F., Zhang, Jing, Loewen, Matthew, Kent, Adam J. R., Macpherson, Colin G. & Davidson, Jon P. (2019). Unravelling the complexity of magma plumbing at Mount St. Helens: a new trace element partitioning scheme for amphibole. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 174(1): 9.
- Riker, J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Brooker, R.A., de Hoog, J.C.M. & EIMF (2018). First measurements of OH-C exchange and temperature-dependent partitioning of OH and halogens in the system apatite - silicate melt. American Mineralogist 103(2): 260-270.
- Plail, Melissa, Edmonds, Marie, Woods, Andrew, Barclay, Jenni, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S., Herd, Richard A. & Christopher, Thomas (2018). Mafic enclaves record syn-eruptive basalt intrusion and mixing. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 484: 30-40.
- Namur, Olivier & Humphreys, Madeleine C.S. (2018). Trace element constraints on the differentiation and crystal mush solidification in the Skaergaard intrusion, Greenland. Journal of Petrology 59(3): 387-418.
- Stock, Michael J., Humphreys, Madeleine C.S., Smith, Victoria C., Isaia, Roberto, Brooker, Richard A. & Pyle, David M. (2018). Tracking volatile behaviour in sub-volcanic plumbing systems using apatite and glass: insights into pre-eruptive processes at Campi Flegrei, Italy. Journal of Petrology 59(12): 2463-2492.
- Zhang, J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Cooper, G., Davidson, J.P. & Macpherson, C.G. (2017). Magma mush chemistry at subduction zones, revealed by new melt major element inversion from calcic amphiboles. American Mineralogist 102(6): 1353-1367.
- Edmonds, M., Kohn, S.C., Hauri, E.H., Humphreys, M.C.S. & Cassidy, M. (2016). Extensive, water-rich magma reservoir beneath southern Montserrat. Lithos 252-253: 216-233.
- Stock, M.J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Smith, V.C., Isaia, R. & Pyle, D.M. (2016). Late-stage volatile saturation as a potential trigger for explosive volcanic eruptions. Nature Geoscience 9(3): 249-254.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M. & Kloecking, M.S. (2016). The validity of plagioclase-melt geothermometry for degassing-driven magma crystallization. American Mineralogist 101(4): 769-779.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Brooker, R.A., Fraser, D.G., Burgisser, A., Mangan, M.T. & McCammon, C. (2015). Coupled interactions between volatile activity and Fe oxidation state during arc crustal processes. Journal of Petrology 56(4): 795-814.
- Humphreys, Madeleine C.S., Edmonds, M., Christopher, T. & Hards, V. (2015). Discussion on ‘Magma storage region processes of the Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat’, Geological Society, London, Memoirs, 39, 361-381. Journal of the Geological Society 172(4): 533-539.
- Melekhova, E., Blundy, J., Robertson, R. & Humphreys, M.C.S. (2015). Experimental evidence for polybaric differentiation of primitive arc basalt beneath St. Vincent, Lesser Antilles. Journal of Petrology 56(1): 161-192.
- Scott, J.A.J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Mather, T.A., Pyle, D.M. & Stock, M.J. (2015). Insights into the behaviour of S, F, and Cl at Santiaguito Volcano, Guatemala, from apatite and glass. Lithos 232: 375-394.
- Zhang, J., Davidson, J.P., Humphreys, M.C.S., Macpherson, C.G. & Neill, I. (2015). Magmatic Enclaves and Andesitic Lavas from Mt. Lamington, Papua New Guinea: Implications for Recycling of Earlier-fractionated Minerals through Magma Recharge. Journal of Petrology 56(11): 2223-2256.
- Edmonds, M., Brett, A., Herd, R.A., Humphreys, M.C.S. & Woods, A. (2015). Magnetite-bubble aggregates at mixing interfaces in andesite magma bodies. Geological Society of London Special Publications 410(1): 95-121.
- Stock, M.J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Smith, V.C., Johnson, R.D., Pyle, D.M. & EIMF (2015). New constraints on electron-beam induced halogen migration in apatite. American Mineralogist 100(1): 281-293.
- Bufe, N. Aaron, Holness, Marian B. & Humphreys, Madeleine C.S. (2014). Contact metamorphism of Precambrian gneiss by the Skaergaard Intrusion. Journal of Petrology 55(8): 1595-1617.
- Namur, Olivier, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S. & Holness, Marian B. (2014). Crystallization of interstitial liquid and latent heat buffering in solidifying gabbros: Skaergaard Intrusion, Greenland. Journal of Petrology 55(7): 1389-1427.
- McIntosh, I.M., Llewellin, E.W., Humphreys, M.C.S., Nichols, A.R.L., Burgisser, A., Schipper, C.I. & Larsen, J.F. (2014). Distribution of dissolved water in magmatic glass records growth and resorption of bubbles. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 401: 1-11.
- Plail, M., Edmonds, M., Humphreys, M.C.S., Barclay, J. & Herd, R.A. (2014). Geochemical evidence for relict degassing pathways preserved in andesite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 386: 21-33.
- Stamper, C.C., Melekhova, E., Blundy, J.D., Arculus, R.J., Humphreys, M.C.S. & Brooker, R.A. (2014). Oxidised phase relations of a primitive basalt from Grenada, Lesser Antilles. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 167(1): 954.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M., Plail, M., Barclay, J., Parkes, D. & Christopher, T. (2013). A new method to quantify the real supply of mafic components to a hybrid andesite. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 165(1): 191-215.
- Namur, Olivier, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S. & Holness, Marian B. (2013). Lateral Reactive Infiltration in a Vertical Gabbroic Crystal Mush, Skaergaard Intrusion, East Greenland. Journal of Petrology 54(5): 985-1016.
- Holness, M.B., Humphreys, M.C.S., Sides, R., Helz, R. & Tegner, C. (2012). Toward an understanding of disequilibrium dihedral angles in mafic rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 117(B6): B06207.
- Humphreys, M.C.S. (2011). Silicate liquid immiscibility within the crystal mush: Evidence from Ti in plagioclase from the Skaergaard Intrusion. Journal of Petrology 52(1): 147-174.
- Holness, M.B., Stripp, G., Humphreys, M.C.S., Veksler, I.V., Nielsen, T.F.D & Tegner, C. (2011). Silicate Liquid Immiscibility within the Crystal Mush: Late-stage Magmatic Microstructures in the Skaergaard Intrusion, East Greenland. Journal of Petrology 52(1): 175-222.
- Edmonds, M., Aiuppa, A., Humphreys, M., Moretti, R., Giudice, G., Martin, R.S., Herd, R.A. & Christopher, T. (2010). Excess volatiles supplied by mingling of mafic magma at an andesite arc volcano. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 11: Q04005.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M., Christopher, T. & Hards, V. (2010). Magma hybridisation and diffusive exchange recorded in heterogeneous glasses from Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Geophysical Research Letters 37: L00E06.
- Humphreys, M.C.S. & Holness, M.B. (2010). Melt-rich segregations in the Skaergaard Marginal Border Series: Tearing of a vertical silicate mush. Lithos 119(3-4): 181-192.
- Christopher, T., Edmonds, M., Humphreys, M.C.S. & Herd, R.A. (2010). Volcanic gas emissions from Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat 1995-2009, with implications for mafic magma supply and degassing. Geophysical Research Letters 37(19): L00E04.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2020: Associate Editor, Journal of Petrology:
- 2019: Wager Medal, IAVCEI:
- 2017: Editorial board member, Geology:
- 2012: Max Hey medal, Mineralogical Society of Great Britain:
- 2008: President's Award, Geological Society of London:
- 2020: Magma mush eruptibility: the lifetime of mobile magma (£492261.42 from Natural Environmental Research Council)
- 2020: STEMMS: Storage and Eruption of Mushy Magma Systems (£1513850.77 from Interreg (ERDF) Europe)
- 2018: Apatite as a Monitor of Magmatic Processes and Timescales (£8283.00 from Natural Environmental Research Council)
- 2016: RF050272: Royal Society University Research Fellowship Renewal, The Royal Society, £278k
- 2016: RF050291: Reconstructing eruptive processes from volatile distribution in volcanic glass, NERC - Natural Environment Research Council, £482k
- 2014: Volatiles, Geodynamics and Solid Earth Controls on the Habitable Planet (£403276.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2010: Co-I, NERC Knowledge Exchange grant, £31k, Applying petrological research to volcanic risk assessment
- 2008: R-Co-I, NERC standard grant, £181k, Solidification in mafic magma chambers
- 2013: PI, RF050219: University Research Fellowship, The Royal Society, £658k (transferred from University of Oxford, October 2013)
- 2013: PI, RF050236: Apatite as a quantitative tool for tephrochronology and magmatic evolution, NERC, £199k
- 2013: PI, RF050241: The structure and rheology of crystal mushes, NERC, £10.9k