Professor Kiran Fernandes, BEng(Hons), MSc, PhD, CEng, FRSA, FIET, FAcSS
Kiran Fernandes is the Chair of the Operations Management Group and a Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute. He is also a Fellow of the interdisciplinary York Centre for Complex Systems Analysis (YCCSA). He holds a PhD in Operations Management and Systems from the University of Warwick; a Masters (MS) from the James Worth Bagley College of Engineering at Mississippi State University (MSU) and a Bachelors of Engineering (Hons) degree in Production from Waltech. Prior to his current role, Professor Fernandes worked as the Pro-Dean for Research and Head of the Operations Management Group at The University of York. He started his academic career as an EPSRC Senior Research Fellow at the University of Warwick. He worked as a sub-systems engineer at the NASA - John C. Stennis Space Centre working for the Late Tom Cobb (Product Director for the Space Shuttle Main Engine Program). Working at NASA also allowed him to complete a professional program from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Professor Fernandes works with UK and International companies on modelling complex business domains ranging from operational processes to strategic decisions. Using a complex systems lens he has worked with construction, pharmaceutical, biotech and digital firms. His research has been funded by prestigious and competitive funding bodies like the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Department for Business Innovation and Skills, Economic and Social Research Council, Sun Microsystems, Chongqing Foreign Trade & Economic Relations Commission, Yorkshire Forward, Royal Academy of Engineering, British Council and Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
He has published widely in the area of operations management and sits on the editorial board of a number of top journals in the area. Professor Fernandes is a Chartered Engineer and advises a number of companies both nationally and internationally.
Kiran Fernandes is the Chair of the Operations Management Group and a Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute. He is also a Fellow of the interdisciplinary York Centre for Complex Systems Analysis (YCCSA).
- Operations Management
- Innovation Diffusion
- Complex Systems
- 1: Milewski, S., Fernandes, K. & Mount, M. (2015). Exploring technological process innovation from a lifecycle perspective. International journal of operations and production management 35(9): 1312-1331.
- 2: Zhu, A., von Zedtwitz, M., Assimakopoulos, D. & Fernandes, K. (2016). The impact of organizational culture on Concurrent Engineering, Design-for-Safety, and product safety performance. International Journal of Production Economics 176: 69-81.
- 3: Cabras, I., Goumagias, N.D., Fernandes, K., Cowling, P., Li, F., Kudenko, D. & Nucciarelli, A. (2017). Exploring survival rates of companies in the UK video-games industry: an empirical study. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 117: 305-314.
- 4: Jha, A., Fernandes, K., Xiong, Y., Nie, J., Agarwal, N. & Tiwari, M.K. (2017). Effects of demand forecast and resource sharing on collaborative new product development in supply chain. International Journal of Production Economics 193: 207-221.
- 5: Tse, Y.K., Zhang, M., Tan, K.H., Pawar, K. & Fernandes, K. (2018). Managing quality risk in supply chain to drive firm's performance: the roles of control mechanisms. Journal of Business Research
- 6: Choudhary, A., Suman, R., Dixit, V., Tiwari, M., Fernandes, K. & Chang, P. (2015). An optimization model for a monopolistic firm serving an environmentally conscious market: Use of Chemical Reaction Optimization Algorithm. International Journal of Production Economics 164: 409-420.
- 7: Shi, L. & Fernandes, K. (2014). Exploring the Role of Innovativeness and Opinion Leadership in Diffusion. International Journal of Innovation Management 18(4): 1450029.
- Tiwari, M., Chang, P., Fernandes, K. & Chan, F.T.S. (2015). Supply Chain Management: An Evolutionary Computing Approach. John Wiley & Sons.
- Fernandes K., Xiong, Y. & Hayat, A. (2009). Tracking the Innovation Epidemic: A Framework for Innovation Measurement and Diffusion within the Pharmaceutical Sector. York: University of York.
- Raja, V. & Fernandes, K. (2008). Reverse Engineering: An Industrial Perspective. London: Springer.
- Drivalos, N., Kolovos, D., Paige, R. & Fernandes, K. (2009). Engineering a DSL for Software Tracebility. In Software Language Engineering. Springer. 5452: 151-167.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V., Keast, J., Benyon, M., Chan, P. & Joy, M. (2002). Business and IT Perspectives on AMORE: A Methodology using Object-Orientation in Re-engineering Enterprises. In Systems Engineering for Business Process Change: New Directions. Henderson, P. Springer. 274-297.
- Fernandes, K. & Raja, V. (2001). Feature Based Interactive Program Understanding Tool. In Automation and Information Technology in Manufacturing. 175-177.
- Hodge, V.J., Sephton, N., Devlin, S., Cowling, P.I., Goumagias, N., Shao, Jianhua, Purvis, K., Cabras, I., Fernandes, K.J. & Li, F. (2018). How the Business Model of Customisable Card Games Influences Player Engagement. IEEE Transactions on Games
- Bajpai, Amlendu, Fernandes, Kiran Jude & Tiwari, Manoj Kumar (2018). Modeling, analysis, and improvement of integrated productivity and energy consumption in a serial manufacturing system. Journal of Cleaner Production 199: 296-304.
- Nucciarelli, A., Li, F., Fernandes, K., Goumagias, N., Cabras, I., Devlin, S., Kudenko, D. & Cowling, P. (2017). From value chains to technological platforms: The effects of crowdfunding in the digital game industry. Journal of Business Research 78: 341-352.
- Mount, M. P., Milewski, S. & Fernandes, K. (2015). Exploring the knowledge complexities of innovation intermediaries: The case of nanotechnology in the UK. International Journal of Technology Management 69(1): 20-37.
- Babu, Soudagar A. K. Irfan, Pratap, Saurabh, Lahoti, Geet, Fernandes, Kiran J., Tiwari, Manoj K., Mount, Matthew & Xiong, Yu (2015). Minimizing delay of ships in bulk terminals by simultaneous ship scheduling, stockyard planning and train scheduling. Maritime Economics & Logistics 17(4): 464-492.
- Shi, L. & Fernandes, K. (2014). A diffusion model for service products. Journal of service marketing 28(4): 331-341.
- Shi, L., Fernandes, K. & Chumnumpan, P. (2014). Diffusion of multi-generational high-technology products. Technovation 34(3): 162-176.
- Okike, C., Fernandes, K. & Xiong, Y. (2014). Impact of operator experience on information feedback and reusability. Production Planning & Control: The Management of Operations 25(4): 318-331.
- Agrawal, T., Sao, A., Fernandes, K., Tiwari, M. & Kim, D. (2013). A Hybrid Model of Component Sharing and Platform Modularity for Optimal Product Family Design. International Journal of Production Research 51(2): 614-625.
- Mount, M. & Fernandes, K. (2013). Adoption of Open Source Software in High Velocity Environments. Behavioural and Information Technology. Behavioural and Information Technology 32(3): 231-342.
- Shukla, N., Choudhary, A., Prakash, P., Fernandes, K. & Tiwari, M. (2013). Algorithm Portfolios for Logistics Optimization Considering Stochastic Demands and Mobility allowance. International Journal of Production Economics 141(1): 146-166.
- Xiong, Y., Li, G., Zhou, Y., Fernandes, K., Harrison, R. & Xiong, Z. (2013). Dynamic pricing models for used products in remanufacturing with lost-sales and uncertain quality. International journal of production economics 147(Part C): 678-688.
- Liao, N., Fernandes, K., Downs, D. & Foley, G. (2013). Facilitating the Adoption of Open Source Technologies for UK Health Care: An Ecosystem Framework. International Journal of Health Information Management Research 1(1): 37-47.
- Grody A., Fernandes, K., Hughes, P. & Toms, J. (2013). The Basel Committee’s fundamental review of the trading book: A commentary. Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions 1(6-9).
- Fernandes, K. (2012). A Framework for Service Systems Analysis: Theory and Practice. Production Planning & Control: The Management of Operations 23(7): 480-497.
- Mount, M. & Fernandes, K. (2012). Adoption of Open Source Software in High Velocity Environments. Behavioural and Information Technology. Behaviour and Information Technology 32(3): 231-246.
- Xiong, Y., Yan, W., Fernandes, K., Zhongkai, X. & Guo, N. (2012). Bricks Vs Clicks: The Impact of Manufacturer Encroachment with a Dealer Leasing and Selling of Durable Goods. European Journal of Operational Research 217(1): 75-83.
- Okike, C. & Fernandes, K. (2012). Impact of Information Use Architecture on Load and Usability. Information Processing and Management 48(5): 995-1016.
- Jha, A., Somani, K., Tiwari, M., Chan, F. & Fernandes, K. (2012). Minimizing transportation cost of a joint inventory location model using modified adaptive differential evolution algorithm. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 60(1-4): 329-341.
- Paige, R., Drivalos, N., Kolovos, D., Fernandes, K., Power, C., Olsen, G. & Zschaler, S. (2011). Rigorous identification and encoding of trace-links in model-driven engineering. Software & Systems Modeling 10(4): 469-487.
- Xiong, Y., Li, G. & Fernandes, K. (2010). Dynamic Pricing Model and Algorithm for Perishable Products with Fuzzy Demand. Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry 26(6): 758-774.
- Yang, B. & Fernandes, K. (2010). Global supply chain risk management: a socio-technical perspective. International Journal of Business Environment 3(2): 240-249.
- Fernandes, K. (2009). Interactive Situation Modelling in Knowledge Intensive Domains. International Journal of Business Information Systems 4(1): 25-45.
- Fernandes, K. J., Raja, V., White A. & Tsinopoulos, C. (2006). Adoption of virtual reality within construction processes: A factor analysis approach. Technovation 26(1): 111-120.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Whaley, A. (2006). Lessons from implementing the Balanced Scorecard in a Small and Medium Size Manufacturing Organization. Technovation 26(5-6): 623-634.
- Fernandes, K. (2005). Eureka Moments in the Life of Claudio Cioborra. European Journal of Information Systems 14(5): 498-499.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Austin, S. (2005). Portals as a Knowledge Repository and Transfer Tool – VIZCon Case Study. Technovation 25(11): 1281-1289.
- Zhang, S., Raja, V., Fernandes, K., Ryall, C. & Wimpenny, D. (2005). Rapid Prototyping models and their Quality Evaluation using Reverse Engineering. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 217(1): 81-96.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Eyre, J. (2003). Cybersphere: The Fully Immersive Spherical Projection System. Communications of the ACM 46(9): 141-146.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Eyre, J. (2003). Immersive Learning System for Manufacturing Industries. Computers in Industry 51(1): 31-40.
- Fernandes, K. & Raja, V. (2002). A Practical Knowledge Transfer System: A Case Study. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management (Work Study) 51(3): 140-148.
- Fernandes, K. & Raja, V. (2002). A Structured Modelling Approach to Business Domains in Aerospace Industries. International Journal of Aerospace Management 1(4): 353-366.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Anthony, J. (2001). Optimum Leve of Goal Mapping in a Reengineering Environment. Business Process Management Journal 7(1): 24-32.
- Antony, J., Warwood, S., Fernandes, K & Rowlands, H. (2001). Process Optimization using Taguchi Methods of Experimental Design. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management (Work Study) 50(2): 51-57.
- Fernandes, K. & Raja, V. (2000). Incorporated Tool Selection System using Object Technology. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 40(11): 1547-1555.
- Usher, J. & Fernandes, K. (1999). An Object Oriented Application of Tool Selection in Dynamic Process Planning. International Journal of Production Research 37(13): 2879-2894.
- Usher, J. & Fernandes, K. (1996). A Two Phased Approach to Dynamic Process Planning. Computers & Industrial Engineering 31(1-2): 173-176.
- Usher, J. & Fernandes, K. (1996). Dynamic Process Planning – The Static Phase. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 61(1-2): 53-58.