Dr Jonas Kurlberg
I arrived in Durham in August 2018 to join the CODEC team where my primary responsibility is to take a lead in running and developing the MA in Digital Theology. It is a great place to be given my research interests, which fall broadly within public theology and the nexus between Christianity, church and society.
Most recently I was a Post-Doctoral Research Assistant at the Centre for Theology and Public Issues, University of Edinburgh, where I began to venture into research on aspects of Christianity and the internet. At the same time I worked as a research associate on an innovative project on religion and social media in Russia for the Centre on Religion and Global Affairs.
My PhD is from the University of Bergen, where I explored British intellectual elites’ responses to the perceived civilisational crisis in the 1930s and 40s. I used extensive archival material to narrate the story of ‘the Moot’ and its endeavour to create a Christian socio-political movement that would stem the tide of totalitarianism.
Before embarking on doctoral studies I undertook both a Master of Theology from London School of Theology and a Master of Science in Sociology from the London School of Economics, since I was keen to obtain tools to engage in truly inter-disciplinary work. In between these programmes – and during the final years of the Sri Lankan civil war – I worked as Lecturer and MA Course Leader at the Colombo Theological Seminary.
Over the last few years I have been involved in setting up Hönö Connects, an international network of academics, activists, politicians and journalists seeking to respond to the growing influence of the far right and right wing populism in Europe.
- Jonas Kurlberg (2019). Christian Modernism in an Age of Totalitarianism: T. S. Eliot, Karl Mannheim and the Moot. Bloomsbury.
Chapter in book
- Kurlberg, Jonas & Mitchell, Jolyon (2019). Digital Representations of Martyrdom. In Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Christian Martyrdom. Middleton, Paul Wiley-Blackwell.
- Mitchell, Jolyon & Kurlberg, Jonas (2018). Building Peace in View of Digital Violence and Suffering. In Theologische Medienethik Im Digitalen Zeitalter. Ulshofer, Gotlind & Wilhelm, Monika Kohlhammer.
- Kurlberg, Jonas (2014). The Moot, the End of Civilisation and the Re-Birth of Christendom. In Modernism, Christianity and Apocalypse . 222.
- Phillips, Peter M., Schiefelbein-Guerrero, K. & Kurlberg, Jonas (2019). Defining Digital Theology: Digital Humanities, Digital Religion and the Particular Work of the CODEC Research Centre and Network. Open Theology 5(1): 29-43.
- Kurlberg, Jonas (2013). Resisting Totalitarianism: The Moot and a New Christendom. Religion Compass 7(12): 517.