Bomb threats: would you know what to do?
(5 February 2021)
While we have no information suggesting Durham University is a specific and current target for bomb threats, hoax or real, we would like to make the community aware of what to do should you receive a bomb threat message.
Please familiarise yourself with the following instructions:
- Stay calm and listen carefully
- Refer to the national bomb threat checklist
- If practical, keep the caller talking and alert a colleague to dial 999
- If displayed on your phone, note the number of the caller, otherwise dial 1471 to obtain a number once the call has ended
- If the threat is a recorded message, write down as much detail as possible and retain for the police to secure
- If the threat is received via text message, do not reply to, forward or delete the message; not the number of the sender and follow police advice
- Contact our Business Resilience Team via Security: 0191 334 2222.
For more information, please visit the Government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/crowded-places-guidance/bomb-threats