Covid-19 testing for essential workers: A message from Durham Council
(24 April 2020)
Durham County Council has provided information on Covid-19 testing for essential workers. Please read on for full information.
- Testing is now available through a range of options. These include the Regional Testing Centres, Mobile Testing Units and Home Testing Kits. At present, Regional and Mobile testing does not have the option for walk-ins. All tests must be pre-booked, which will be confirmed by email and text stating a time and location for the test to take place.
- Testing for Under 18s should be self-administered, or given assistance by a parent or guardian. This can be done at Regional Testing Centres. From 26 April there will be Assisted Testing Lanes at all Regional Test Centres to provide assistance in swab tests for 12-18 year olds.
- Mobile Testing Units will be appearing in your local area. A successful trial has been taking place in Teesside Park, which will be extended across the North East. Details of Mobile Testing Unit locations will be distributed once confirmed. The booking process for these sites is the same as that for the Regional Testing Centre and they will be available to all essential workers.
A full and comprehensive list of essential workers can be found here. This has been extended considerably to provide detail for those working in the private sector and individuals can self-refer for a test using this link. Once registered, individuals will receive a text message or email asking them to provide details for:
- Preferred Testing Location.
- Number of household members requiring testing.
- Home Testing Kit orders – these are currently limited in availability.
This page has experienced technical issues due to the significant rise in demand, but will be running again as soon as possible. When an individual registers for a test they will receive a text message providing further details of how to book a test appointment, as well as select their preference for test location or the use of a Home Testing Kit. Employers can also refer their staff using the links found on the attached PowerPoint and through their pre-established routes.
A pre-prepared message for the Mobile Testing Unit, which will be triggered by the addition of the Bishop Auckland College Mobile Testing Unit site on the Gov.Uk booking form, should include:
- Testing for COVID-19 is being conducted at Bishop Auckland College from the 26th-28th April. Further sites will be running around the region, which will be publicised as they are confirmed.
- The Bishop Auckland College Site is available to all essential workers.
- Booking your test can be done through your current employer referral or by individuals at this link, both options will allow you to select Bishop Auckland as your preferred test location.