Conference: Catholic Theology in the Public Academy
(5 February 2018)
The Centre for Catholic Studies invites registrations for their 10th Anniverary Conference entitled 'Catholic Theology in the Public Academy'. The conference will take place between Wednesday, 18 April and Friday, 20 April in Durham. Proposals for short papers and posters on any area relevant to Catholic theology/Catholic studies, including: constructive, practical, pastoral, or political theology; Catholic social thought and practice; the history of Catholicism; Catholicism, literature and the arts; and the social-scientific study of Catholicism are invited. Please submit proposals online by 10am on Thursday 15 February 2018. Further information can be found on the Conference webpage.
The programme will include:
- An Academic Symposium, with a series of 20 and 30 minute papers by leading academics and younger scholars, exploring key issues in contemporary Catholic theology, Catholic studies, and the multiple interface between church and world in the current global context;
- A 10th Anniversary Public Lecture given by Baroness Nuala O’Loan on ‘Catholicism and Public Life’;
- A Mass of Thanksgiving, to be celebrated by the Rt Rev. Séamus Cunningham, Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle, in Durham Cathedral (by special permission of the Dean and Chapter);
- A Festive Dinner in the Great Hall of Durham Castle (University College);
- A Celebratory Dinner at St Chad’s College, followed by an evening of musical entertainment and celebration.