Seminars and Events
European Raw Materials information and brokerage event
Sustainable Chemicals from Microalgae: Encompassing Biocrude Through to Fine Chemicals
Royal Society of Chemistry Burlington House
Congress Center Basel, Switzerland,
Events and meetings hosted and organised by CSCP in 2011-2012:
Metal catalysts for the activation of renewable resources to make polymers
Presented by Dr. Charlotte Williams, Imperial College London
7 November 2012 16:15 in CG60
Contact email@example.com for more information.
CIE Prestigious lecture
Sustainable Materials: with both eyes open.
Julian Allwood, Cambridge University
Tuesday 13th November at 6:00 p.m. in Centuria. Building, Teesside University.
He will present some novel ideas on how to preserve our resources in terms of reuse and recycling, and it promises to be an informative and entertaining evening.
Contact Sue Parker firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- The 21st IUPAC International Conference on Physical Organic Chemistry (ICPOC21) is being co-organized by CSCP's Drs David Hodgson and AnnMarie O'Donoghue.
This meeting will be held at Durham University between 9th and 13th September 2012 and has an exciting and broad line-up of plenary and keynote speakers.
Full details may be found on the ICPOC21 website
The Durham Lectures 2012
This year's Durham Lecturer in Chemistry is Prof. John Hartwig from U.C. Berkely (USA), who will be in Durham for the week commencing 13th May, 2012.
Prof. Hartwig will be giving a series of lectures, at the provisional time of 4.00 pm in CG93 (Dept. Chemistry):
- Catalysts by Design. A Case Study of Arylamine Synthesis (Monday 14th May)
- Selective Functionalization of Aryl and Alkyl C-H Bonds (Tuesday 15th May)
- Making Sense of Copper-Catalyzed Coupling Reactions (Wednesday 16th May)
Do please feel free to attend.
Prof. Hartwig is keen to talk to as many people as possible during his week in Durham. Please contact Dr Patrick Steel to arrange a convenient time.
- The inaugural NORSC-NEPIC Sustainable Chemistry for Industry Day will take place on the 24th April, 2012, at Ramside Hall, Durham. Further details may be found here.
- A bilateral research and PhD programme and European Associated Laboratary (LEA) agreement between Chemistry Department's of Durham University and Université de Rennes 1, France, (jointly funded by the French national research agency, the CNRS, and Durham University has recently been signed. To showcase the diverse areas of on-going research that is being carried out jointly by researchers in the two departments a three-day mini-symposium is being held in Durham between the 3 and 5th April.
- Graham Sandford is co-organising a symposium entitled "ACS Award for Creative Work in Fluorine Chemistry 2012 - in honour of Prof. David O'Hagan" as part of the ACS Spring meeting being held in San Diego.
- Dr Chris Greenwell is organizing the first Durham University Biofuels, Science and Society Conference 2012
This event takes place 27-29th March 2012, Holgate Centre, Grey College, Durham University, Durham.