Publication details for Simon RossReynolds, A & Ross, S. F. (2016). Butterflies with Rotation and Charge. Classical and Quantum Gravity 33(21): 215008.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0264-9381 (print), 1361-6382 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1088/0264-9381/33/21/215008
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We explore the butterfly effect for black holes with rotation or charge. We perturb rotating BTZ and charged black holes in 2 + 1 dimensions by adding a small perturbation on one asymptotic region, described by a shock wave in the spacetime, and explore the effect of this shock wave on the length of geodesics through the wormhole and hence on correlation functions. We find the effect of the perturbation grows exponentially at a rate controlled by the temperature; dependence on the angular momentum or charge does not appear explicitly. We comment on issues affecting the extension to higher-dimensional charged black holes.