Building Resilient Learners through PE
Tuesday, 10 July 2012
Please note the Evolutionary Medicine Summer School has been postponed.
In July 2010 the Daily Mail reported 86,000 school suspensions in the UK. For a number of our pupils the school gate is more like a revolving door! This conference will explore why it is that today’s young people are not developing resilience to the social, emotional and physical challenges they face and highlight strategies that facilitate their capacity to develop physical and mental strength through PE
Plenary Speaker: Professor Peter Tymms (Head of the School of Education) Durham University
Speakers to include: Professor Joe Elliott Dr Caoline Walker-Gleaves Dr Alan Walker-Gleaves
Workshops will take place in the morning and afternoon providing an opportunity for you to take in two across the day. Please select your choice through regsitration.
1. Sarah King, Head of PE at Macmillan Academy. Building Learning Power through PE
2. Jason Rhodes, Head of PE & AST at St John’s School and Sixth Form College, Catholic Academy. Developing task persistence amongst students in a practical setting
3. Craig Collins, Parkour. Developing thinking based on self-discipline, autonomous action and self will
4. Paul Atkinson, Head of PE Manor Technology College. An alternative curriculum to engage young people in PE & promote lifelong participation
5. Andrew Bell, Head of PE Framwellgate Academy. Maximising the performance of pupils in GCSE PE
The programme is available to view here.
Conference Package - 10th July (GBP 70.00)
To include conference registration, workshops, morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch.