Latest News and Updates
Keep up to date with all the latest news and updates.
Theatre, music and art online this summer
(15 June 2020)
We’re proud that our students make a great contribution to cultural life in Durham, and so we’re excited to announce that the Summer in the City arts festival is going online for 2020.
What is Summer in the City?
A Festival run jointly between ourselves and Durham County Council that showcases Durham’s theatre, music and art for everyone to get involved in.
Last year’s Festival, held throughout June, attracted around 19,000 visitors.
What’s planned for 2020?
Although Covid-19 means we can’t get together for performances, we’re moving Summer in the City online!
Throughout June, there will be exhibitions and performances to enjoy digitally and do-it-yourself activities to help you get creative from home.
Highlights include ‘Lighting Up the Home’, a competition inspired by the Lumiere light festival. Could you create a light installation at home?
There will also be:
- An exhibition of art by young people aged 12 to 17 funded through Arts Award
- A sketchbook project with the Brooklyn Art Library
- An online short film festival
- Interactive art walks
- A brass band composition competition
- Family do-at-home theatre, art and crafts workshops
- A micro music festival titled ‘Performance In Lockdown’
- Opportunities to share artworks via a Community Art Club
- A virtual affordable art market run by Thought Foundation
Find out more
Full details of the Summer in the City Festival can be found on the Festival website.