Latest News and Updates
Keep up to date with all the latest news and updates.
Helping others at Christmas time
(17 December 2019)
Staff and students have shown their generosity by supporting several charity appeals this Christmas.
Christmas Wish Tree
At the Bill Bryson Library, gifts donated for local charities piled up under a ‘Christmas Wish Tree’.
Staff and students bought gifts from Christmas wish lists submitted by three chosen charities: The Rainbow Trust, the Action Foundation and St Cuthbert’s Hospice.
Gifts donated included winter clothing, toiletries and children’s arts and crafts materials.
Our Staff Volunteering and Outreach team organised a University-wide collection of food and household items for the charity Feeding Families.
Donations of both seasonal treats and daily essentials were collected into a total of 120 hampers, to be distributed in time for Christmas.
Cash for Kids’ Mission Christmas appeal
Our Careers and Enterprise Centre was a collection point for the Cash for Kids’ Mission Christmas appeal, which raises money and donations for disadvantaged children. In total, 252 gifts were donated.
Other charitable efforts
Staff and students also:
- Raised £85 for local homelessness charity Durham Action on Single Housing (DASH) through a Lucky Number draw;
- Donated 90 pairs of socks and 30 pairs of pants to Sanctuary 21’s Homeless Appeal;
- Ran a ‘Pint of Pennies’ appeal collecting spare change for Feeding Families across several Colleges;
- Through Durham for Refugees, donated everyday essentials to refugees and asylum seekers locally; and
- Worked with the Alington House Visually Impaired Group to decorate a Christmas Tree for Elvet Methodist Church’s Christmas Tree Festival.
However you’re celebrating, we wish you a very happy Christmas.