Latest News and Updates
Keep up to date with all the latest news and updates.
Running mates: how we’re supporting Durham City Run Festival
(14 June 2019)
We love helping to put on events that the whole City can enjoy, and we see it as part of our role to enable our staff, students and neighbours to pursue healthy lifestyles.
That’s why we’re excited to be more involved than ever before in this year’s Durham City Run.
What is the Durham City Run?
The Durham City Run Festival will be held in Durham from 25 to 27 July. Among the highlights are:
- The Prince Bishops Durham City Run, with 5km and 10km routes around Durham;
- Run Like A Legend: an accurately measured and timed one-mile course along the banks of the River Wear, in honour of Sir Roger Bannister breaking the four-minute mile barrier in 1954;
- A Celebration of Sir Roger Bannister: an evening honouring Sir Roger, involving his daughter Charlotte, who studied with us;
- Paula’s Families on Track: the brainchild of marathon world record holder Paula Radcliffe, this will give family groups the opportunity to work together to run a set distance;
- Plus film screenings, talks, book signings and more.
How we’re involved
We’re an event partner, which means we’re:
- Sponsoring the Festival;
- Providing Palace Green as a finishing area for the Prince Bishops Durham City Run and the Racecourse for Paula’s Families on Track; and
- Supporting the Run Like A Legend and A Celebration of Sir Roger Bannister events.
We’re proud to be involved and look forward to seeing you in and around Durham between 25 and 27 July.
Investing in community sport
We believe in the extraordinary power of sport and exercise to bring together people of all backgrounds and abilities – whether they be students, staff, or members of the community.
Over 3,000 people are already involved with our community sport programme and facilities and this will increase in the next few months as work on our Sports and Wellbeing Park at Maiden Castle nears completion.